Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (film)
|Untitled Sonic the Hedgehog sequel|
|Directed by||Jeff Fowler|
|Based on||Sonic the Hedgehog|
by Sonic Team
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
The untitled Sonic the Hedgehog sequel is an upcoming sequel to the 2020 film Sonic the Hedgehog, based on the character of the same name by Sega, distribuited by Paramount Pictures. The film will be directed by Jeff Fowler and written by Pat Casey and Josh Miller.
The idea of a sequel to Sonic the Hedgehog was first brought up by star Jim Carrey, who expressed interest in reprising his role as Dr. Robotnik in such a sequel. Following the warmth critical reception and financial success of Sonic, several cast and crew memebrs, including director Fowler, expressed interest in developing a sequel closer to the original video games, while star James Marsden revealed that he signed-up for several sequels in March 2020. A sequel was confirmed in May 2020, with most of the first film's crew set to return.
In January 2020, Jim Carrey expressed interest in starring in a sequel to the film Sonic the Hedgehog (2020), based on the video game franchise of the same name, stating that the expansion of his character in the film, Dr. Robotnik, could lead up to a potential sequel, "I wouldn't mind going to do another one because it was so much fun, first of all, and a real challenge to try to convince people that I have a triple-digit IQ... There is so much room, you know, Robotnik has not reached his apotheosis." In March 2020, Sonic the Hedgehog star James Marsden confirmed that he had signed on for multiple sequels to Sonic,
By April 2020, Marsden expressed interest in a sequel featuring several characters from the video games, including Tails, who appeared in a mid-credits scene in the first film. Director Jeff Fowler also expressed interest in developing a sequel that both centers on the title character and Tails' relationship and further develops Dr. Robotnik. Later that month, Schwartz said that he felt it made sense for Paramount Pictures to not to have announced a sequel by that point due to the COVID-19 pandemic througth he added that he was also interested on a sequel featuring Tails and a more game-accurate potrayal of Robotnik.
By the end of April 2020, Sonic the Hedgehog co-writer Pat Casey revealed that there had been talks about a sequel, througth the film hasn't been green-lighted by Paramount by that point. He also said that Carrey was interested in wearing a fat suit in a sequel in order for Robotnik's appearance to more closely resemble his video game counterpart's. Casey also hinted that a sequel could feature Sonic's "Super Sonic" form and the Chaos Emeralds from the video games, and that it could explore a potential connection between supporting Sonic character Knuckles the Echidna and the echidna tribe seen at the first film's opening sequence.
In May 28, 2020, it was confirmed that a sequel to Sonic the Hedgehog is in development. Fowler is set to return as director, while Casey and Josh Miller will return as writers. Neal H. Mortiz, Toby Ascher, and Toru Nakahara will produce the sequel, having previously co-produced the first film alongside Takeshi Ito, while Tim Miller, Hajime Satomi, and Haruki Satomi will return from the first film as executive producers.
- Craddock, Ryan (January 27, 2020). "The Sonic Movie's Not Even Out Yet, But Jim Carrey Is Up For Doing A Sequel". Nintendo Life. Retrieved January 27, 2020.
- Perine, Aaron (March 6, 2020). "Sonic the Hedgehog Star James Marsden Confirms He's Signed on for Multiple Sequels". Comicbook.com. Retrieved March 6, 2020.
- "Sonic the Hedgehog Star James Marsden on What He'd Like to See in a Potential Sequel". Comicbook.com. Archived from the original on April 13, 2020. Retrieved April 13, 2020. Unknown parameter
- "Sonic The Hedgehog Director Reveals Deleted Scenes, Teases Tails & Sequel Plans". Syfy.com. Archived from the original on April 10, 2020. Retrieved April 13, 2020. Unknown parameter
- "CS Interview: Ben Schwartz on Sonic the Hedgehog Success & Future". April 16, 2020. Archived from the original on April 19, 2020. Retrieved April 19, 2020. Unknown parameter
- "Jim Carrey Wants to Wear a Fat Suit for 'Sonic the Hedgehog' Sequel". Fandom.com. April 23, 2020. Archived from the original on April 23, 2020. Retrieved April 23, 2020. Unknown parameter
- Kroll, Justin (May 28, 2020). "'Sonic the Hedgehog' Sequel in the Works". Variety.com. Archived from the original on May 29, 2020. Retrieved May 28, 2020. Unknown parameter
This article "Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (film)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (film). Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.