Timothy Ray Murray
Timothy Ray Murray
|Republican candidate for|
U.S. House, Oklahoma, District 3
|Born||October 13, 1966|
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
|Alma mater||Oklahoma State University|
Timothy Ray Murray (born October 13, 1966) is an Oklahoman politician known for challenging U.S. Representative Frank Lucas (R-Okla.) representing Oklahoma's 3rd congressional district in both 2012 and 2014.
In 2012, Murray ran as a Democrat for the district 3 seat. Murray only raised $508 for his campaign war chest to oust incumbent Lucas. Despite the lack of funding, he received the Democratic nomination in the June 2012 primary, beating Democrat hopeful Frankie Robbins with 52% of the vote. The Independent ticket was represented by William M. Sanders of Stillwater, Oklahoma.
In the popular election, Sanders gained 4.8% of the vote with 12,787 votes, Murray gained 20% of the vote with 53,472 votes, and incumbent Lucas gained 75.3% of the vote with 201,744 votes, taking the seat.
After firmly losing the 2012 election to Lucas while running as a Democrat, Murray switched parties and ran as a Republican to take Lucas' seat in 2014.
In the 2014 Republican primaries for the 3rd district, Murray received 5.2% of the votes (with 3,442 in his favor) with Lucas gaining 82% of the votes. Murray vowed to contest the election, accusing Lucas of being replaced by a robot when the real Lucas had actually been killed. Murray missed the April 15 deadline, however, meaning Lucas kept the Republican primary nomination.
Murray received national attention when he accused Lucas of actually being a body double rather than the actual Lucas. Murray stated on his campaign website that "It is widely known Rep. Frank D. Lucas is no longer alive and has been displayed by a look alike. Rep. Lucas’ look alike was depicted as sentenced on a white stage in southern Ukraine on or about Jan. 11, 2011." Besides claiming that Lucas was a "robot" and/or "an automaton", Murray also posited that other members of Congress were replaced by lookalikes as well.
In response, Lucas stated "Many things have been said about me, said to me during the course of my campaigns. This is the first time I’ve ever been accused of being a body double or a robot."
According to his 2014 campaign website, Murray is the son of William Henry Murray and the grandson of Bose Murray.
Murray graduated from Moore High School in Moore, Oklahoma. He then received an Associates degree in electronics engineering technology from Oklahoma State University in 1994. He still lives in Moore and has three children.
- "TIMOTHY 'TIM' RAY MURRAY". Washington Times. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- Urbanski, Dave (27 June 2014). "Election Loser's Bizarre Claim About Longtime U.S. Rep Who Soundly Beat Him". The Blaze. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- "Heavy Metal: Republican Claims He Was Beaten By Robot Incumbent In Primary". Talk Radio News Service. 30 June 2014. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- "2012 Elections". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- Barron, Robert (31 October 2012). "Lucas seat in U.S. House challenged". Enid News. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- "OK-03: What are the Issues in the 3rd District? - Congressman Frank Lucas' District". Daily Kos. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- Primary Challenger Says GOP Rep. Was Executed, Replaced By Body Double
- Lach, Eric (27 June 2014). "Primary Challenger Says GOP Rep. Was Executed, Replaced By Body Double". Talking Points Memo. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- "No challenge filed against U.S. Rep. Frank Lucas". News OK. 28 June 2014. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- Levine, Sam (27 June 2014). "GOP Candidate Charges Opponent Is Dead, Represented By A Body Double". Huffington Post. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- Love, Dylan. "Oklahoma Republican Claims His Opponent Is A 'Robot Look-Alike'". Business Insider. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- "TIM MURRAY FOR CONGRESS FOR OKLAHOMA'S 3RD DISTRICT". Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- "Tim Murray (D-OK-3)". Tea Party Cheer. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
This article "Timothy Ray Murray" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.