Trose Emmett Donaldson
Trose Emmett Donaldson (born June 19, 1914 in Tacoma, Washington), was appointed a lieutenant (junior grade) in the U.S. Naval Reserve from the Merchant Marine on November 25, 1940.
Lieutenant Donaldson served in the oiler Sepulga (AO-20) and in repair ship Otus (AS-20) from March 25, 1941. On December 13, 1941 Donaldson was given command of the requisitioned tug Trabajador at Manila with the Navy's Inshore Patrol. On February 25th, 1942 he was transferred to command the British salvage tug Henry Keswick, requisitioned by the U.S. Army during the continuing siege of Manila.
He was killed in action while commanding Henry Keswick on April 9, 1942, when the tug was set on fire by Japanese artillery and beached off Corregidor. Lieutenant Donaldson safely evacuated his crew to the shore and in the last boat, rowing for shore, he was killed instantly by an enemy shell.
Awards and commemorations
Donaldson was awarded the Navy Cross for his heroism in December 1941 at Cavite, Philippine Islands, when he worked tirelessly to evacuate ships and wounded and to fight fires during Japanese air raids.
He was posthumously awarded the Distinguished Service Cross by the United States War Department.
The destroyer escort USS Donaldson (DE-44) of 1943 was named in Lieutenant Donaldson's honor.
Other articles of the topics Biography AND World War II : Amos J. Taylor, Angus R. Goss, Carl W. Weiss, London Lewis Traw, Woodrow Wilson Barr, Albert William Tweedy Jr., Jaime Sabater Sr.
Other articles of the topic Biography : Adnan Bukhari, Ishaan Khatter, Ayhan Tongadur, Gabrielle Ryan, Dr Catrin Rutland, Bert Hatten, Frank T. Norman
Other articles of the topic World War II : Dallas H. Cook, Charles E. Grant, George Emerson Conklin, Roy Orestus Hale Jr., Norman Francis Vandivier, Andrew Kenneth Waterman, LeRay Wilson
Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "".Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "".
- "Trabajador". Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. United States Navy, Naval History and Heritage Command. Retrieved 10 July 2019.
- "United States Asiatic Fleet, order of battle, December, 1941". Asiaticfleet.com. p. footnote 18. Retrieved 10 July 2019.
- Gordon, John (2017). Fighting for MacArthur: the Navy and Marine Corps' Desperate Defense of the Philippines. Naval Institute Press. pp. 218, 221. ISBN 9781612510620. Retrieved 10 July 2019. Search this book on
- "Donaldson". Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. United States Navy, Naval History and Heritage Command. Retrieved 10 July 2019.
- This article incorporates text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.
|This biographical article related to the United States Navy is a stub. You can help EverybodyWiki by expanding it.|
This article "Trose Emmett Donaldson" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Trose Emmett Donaldson. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.