Virgin Mobile Australia Pty Ltd
|Subsidiary of Singtel Optus|
|Founded 📆||31 October 2000|
Area served 🗺️
|James Gully, CEO|
|Products 📟||Prepaid and Postpaid Mobile Phones, Broadband|
Number of employees
Virgin Mobile Australia (VMA) was a mobile telecommunications company based in Sydney.
It was founded by Richard Branson in 2000, and although it became a wholly owned subsidiary of Optus in 2006, it maintained its own brand identity, customer service, management structure and staff.
Virgin Mobile offered postpaid mobile phone and mobile broadband services to approximately one million customers in Australia.
In 24 May 2018, parent company Optus has announced it will be phasing out the Virgin Mobile brand, closing 36 Virgin Mobile retail outlets and 200 staff would be affected. Existing customers which numbers a million will be contacted about the change and options to their services. It is expected to take two years to phase out the Virgin Mobile brand and move customers onto Optus.
Virgin's wireless broadband service was first launched in 2007, offering a package of 4GB of data at claimed speeds of up to 700kbit/s, and unlimited phone calls to landlines Australia-wide as well as Virgin Mobile mobiles. It uses an Option Globesurfer 7.2 modem, which includes an RJ11 jack for the connection of a regular PSTN landline telephone, an Ethernet jack for connection of a computer, as well as inbuilt 802.11g WiFi for wireless access by multiple computers.
In late 2007, Virgin Mobile changed the Virgin Broadband offer for new customers, halving the data allowance to 2GB as well as comprehensively re-writing their acceptable use policy.
In early 2008, technology media reported that Virgin Mobile was having difficulty bringing problems with its parent company's network and its modems under control, and its customer call centres had wait times of 90 minutes or longer.
- Virgin Mobile
- List of Australian mobile virtual network operators
- "Optus cuts 200 jobs as Virgin Mobile brand goes". SBS News. Retrieved 2018-05-24.
- "Optus will progressively close Virgin Mobile". iTnews. Retrieved 2018-05-24.
- "Virgin Broadband poised to slaughter Telstra's landline profits". APC Magazine. ACP Magazines Ltd. 26 July 2007. Retrieved 2008-01-22.
- "In-depth review: Virgin Broadband's home HSDPA broadband service". APC Magazine. ACP Magazines Ltd. 28 July 2007. Retrieved 2008-01-22.
- "Optus jacks up broadband prices, introduces excess usage fees". APC Magazine. ACP Magazines Ltd. 4 December 2007. Retrieved 2008-01-22.
- "Virgin Broadband expands coverage amid controversy". APC Magazine. ACP Magazines Ltd. 22 January 2008. Retrieved 2008-01-22.
This article "Virgin Mobile Australia" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Virgin Mobile Australia. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.