Type of site
|Subsidiaries||Oya, Destinations Africa|
|Alexa rank||1,752 (July 2015[update])|
Wakanow, an online travel agency company based in Nigeria, provides both local and international travel solutions for customers. Wakanow has operations in Nigeria and Ghana, presence in Dubai, London, and is expanding to Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania. Though the company started out in 2008 as Zeeptravel, full operations began for Wakanow during the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.
Wakanow was founded in February 2008 by former NBA player Obinna Ekezie and partner Ralph Tamuno. In 2015, Wakanow acquired online bus ticketing company, Oya.com.ng from L5 Labs. In mid-2015, Wakanow launched “Pay Small Small”, which allows customers to pay for any of the company’s products in installments. In December 2015, Wakanow announced the creation of Destination Africa, a television documentary that highlights the top 21 countries in Africa.
Wakanow received an early undisclosed amount of funding from venture capital investors, Tiger Global, in 2010. In August 2014, African Capital Alliance also announced that it had an undisclosed amount of investment in Wakanow. African Capital Alliance is an independent private equity which has access to a $400 million equity fund.
- Nigeria50 Fast Growth Award (2013)
This article "Wakanow" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Wakanow. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.
- "Wakanow.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- "NBA star's second act in Africa". CNBC. 16 Dec 2013. Retrieved 11 July 2015.
- "ndaniTV interviews Wakanow CEO, Obinna Ekezie". ndani TV. 11 September 2012. Retrieved 11 July 2015.
- "Wakanow acquired Oya.com.ng for $2.5 million, it turns out". techpoint.ng. Retrieved 2017-01-03.
- "Travelling just got easier as Wakanow introduces installment payments for trips". Pulse. 1 July 2015. Retrieved 11 July 2015.
- Newspapers, The Guardian. "Destination Africa: Wakanow Shows Africa To The World". www.ngrguardiannews.com. Retrieved 2016-02-15.
- "The journey to Wakanow: How one tech company is making it happen – quietly and steadily (YNaija Long Read)". YNaija. 4 January 2014. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- "ACA Invests In A Leading Online Travel Agency". African Capital Alliance. Retrieved 13 July 2015.