Walid Kowatli (Al-Kuwatli, Al-Quwatli, Arabic: وليد القوتلي): A Syrian director and an artist with more than 40 years of experience in theater. His work was presented on the stages of the most important local, Arab, and international theaters, such as the Syrian National Theater, Al-Kabbani Theater in Damascus, and the Sorbonne Theater in Paris.
|Place of Birth: Damascus
|Institute of Arts Studies (Krystov
Sarafov previously) in Sofia, Bulgaria
About his life
Walid Kowatli was born in Damascus, Syria and grew up in it. He spent the early 1990s between Damascus, Paris, and Sharjah and ended up settling in Dubai.
Walid Kowatli studied art at the Institute of Art Studies (Krystov Sarafov, formerly) in Sofia, Bulgaria, and graduated from the Department of Theater Direction in 1973 where his interest and love in the theatre deepened especially for experimental theatre and theatre poetry. He later returned to start his professional life in Damascus.
- Professional life:
He occupied different positions in his life which could be divided into the following fields:
Academic Field: Walid Kowatli worked as a teacher at the Higher Institute of Dramatic Arts in Damascus from 1979 -1992 where he taught the following subjects: The Art of Acting, The Principles of Directing, Theater Laboratory. He also headed the Acting Department at the same institute in 1991-1992.
As a TV Director: In the meantime, Kowatli worked as a director at the Department of TV Drama at Television in Syria in 1976-1999 where he directed many televised skits and plays. A number of them were directed for children and youth.
As a Theater Director: Since his first passion was to the theatre, Walid Kowatli directed nearly thirty plays within and outside Syria. Many of these plays are experimental and poetic. He has also worked with a number of rising artists in amateur bands such as Waha Al-Raheb. He received the memorial golden shield for the Syrian assembly in Dubai in 2017.
He headed the jury of the Three Theatrical Days in March 2012 in Oman and the jury in Kalba'a sixth Festival for short plays in the UAE in 2017.
Refer to Table (1) for the plays.
As a Documentary Filmmaker: From 2013-2017, he worked on a number of documentaries examining the effects of war on Syrian children.
Refer to Table (2) for the films.
About his work
- In theater:
|- Table (1) - Walid Kowatli (Plays in Syria)|
|Al Shabiba Theater . Homs
Al Qabbani Theater. Damascus
|2||The story of a zoo||Edward Albee||1978||Al Qabbani Theater . Damascus|
|3||Lek'e Ben Lek'e||Emile Habibi||1981||Al Ammal Theater . Damascus|
|4||The frogs||Aristophanes||1981||Al Qabbani Theater . Damascus|
|5||The story of Vasco||Georges Schehadé||1982||National Theater . Damascus
|6||January||Yordan Radichkov||1983||National Theater .Damascus|
|7||Peace||Adaptation by Walid Kowatli||1985||Al Qabbani Theater .Damascus|
|8||The king dies||Eugène Ionesco||1990||Al Ammal Theater . Damascus
A graduation project
|9||The fox and grapes||Figueredo||1991||Higher Institute for Dramatic Arts. Damascus|
|10||Inspired by the improvised comedy||Walid Kowatli||1991||Higher Institute for Dramatic Arts. Damascus|
|11||The lesson||Eugène Ionesco||1992||French Cultural Center . Damascus|
|12||Caspar||Peter Handke||1992||National Theater .Damascus
A graduation project
|13||The origin of the story||Bakr Al-Sharqawi||1992||National Theater .Damascus
|14||The dairies of a crazy person||Nikolai Gogol||1994||Al Qabbani Theater .Damascus|
|15||No comment||Walid Kowatli||1996||Al Qabbani Theater .Damascus|
|16||Stories of the body||Walid Kowatli||1997||Al Ammal Theater . Damascus|
|17||The Eye of the moon||Walid Kowatli||2004||National Theater .Damascus|
|18||Waiting (playing with Becket)||Walid Kowatli||2006||National Theater .Damascus|
|19||Flight attempt||Adaptation by Walid Kowatli||2008||Damascus Opera House. Damascus
Damascus Cultural Festival
|20||Waiting for the barbarians||Adaptation by Walid Kowatli||2010||Damascus Opera House. Damascus
Damascus Cultural Festival
|Walid Kowatli (Plays outside Syria)|
|1||Lek'e Ben Lek'e||Emile Habibi||1981||Tunisia : Carthage Theatrical Festival|
|2||The dairies of a crazy person||Adaptation from Gogol||1995||Arab World Institute . Paris|
|3||The dairies of a very happy woman||Walid Kowatli||1995||Stuttgart .Germany
"Khef AlJamal"'s Theater . Paris
|4||As you like||Walid Kowatli||1999||Theater of the Sorbonne . Paris
Monfalcone. Italy . Mediterranean Sea Festival
|5||As you see||Walid Kowatli||2000||"The wooden Sword" Theater. Paris . The other side festival|
|6||Curtains and colors||Walid Kowatli||2003||Beit Al Shamsi . Sharjah . Sharjah Sixth Binali|
|7||Violence||Walid Kowatli||2003||A theater workshop for the Department of Culture and Media . Sharjah|
|8||Waiting (playing with Becket)||Adaptation by Walid Kowatli||2006
|Amman Theater Festival. Jordan
Okinawa Theater Festival. Japan
|9||Waiting for the barbarians||Walid Kowatli||2010||Cairo's International Festival for Experimental Theater|
|10||The Seven Days of Time||Nouri al-Jarrah||2012||Doha . Qatar|
|11||Us and the world||Walid Kowatli||2016
|Gaziantep . Turkey
Istanbul . Turkey
- In television and documentaries:
|Table 2 - Walid Kowatli's Documentaries|
|1||Syrian children rise to heaven||2013|
|2||Bird of fire||2014|
|3||Baptized with fire||2015|
|4||Maram : The Assassination of a Dream||2016|
About the Syrian theater
Walid Kowatli believes providing opportunities for rising young people is an overlooked avenue for the future development of Syrian theater and considers the inclusion of all parties necessary to achieve sustainability in theater. Kowatli feels for the state of the Syrian theater, which suffers from neglect, distancing it from the public and Syria's intellectuals. He describes his views on the experimental theater as an engaging visual performance: "The show is to be watched not heard." (Al Ittihad, 2009)  The theater's role is to essentially be "a visual pleasure with the purpose of entering the viewer's senses, and then leaving his/her mind to think and analyze." (Walid Kowatli, 2011)
Kowatli left his mark on the Syrian theater. Kowatli's theatrical style was described by Faten Hamoudi in 2017 as experimental and innovative, with a focus on the actor's body language and the comprehensive use of the stage. His theater's main characteristics are the dramatizing of poems, for example, The Seven Days Of Time, and social and political foresight, such as in Waiting for the Barbarians.
Examples from his works
- Art and Childhood: In 2014, Walid Kowatli was sponsored by the Arab Business Forum to gather stories and experiences of Syrian children who went through war and refuge in Yalda camp on the Turkish-Syrian border. He also supervised and organized an exhibition for Syrian children's paintings in Gaziantep - Turkey 2017.
- Literature: He translated "A Poem With Water" in 2002
- Acting: Kowatli acted in the film "Jamal Abdul Nasser" as Shukri al-Quwatli.
- "مهرجان كلباء 2017: الجائزة الكبرى للذاكرة والخوف". نوافذ ثقافية (in العربية). Retrieved 2019-09-08.
- مقاطع من مسرحية كاسبر, retrieved 2019-09-08
- "كوميديا محاولة طيران من إخراج وليد قوتلي - اكتشف سورية". web.archive.org. 2017-09-23. Retrieved 2019-09-08.
- "صحيفة تشرين • وليد قوتلي «في انتظار البرابرة».. مسرحية شعرية تعيد كتابة كفافيس عبر كوميديا المهرج". web.archive.org. 2017-10-27. Retrieved 2019-09-08.
- "قصيدة مع الماء صلاح ستيتيه – مجلة نزوى". web.archive.org. 2017-07-02. Retrieved 2019-09-08.
- "العرض المسرحي السوري 'نحن والعالم' في إسطنبول التركية". www.rozana.fm (in العربية). Retrieved 2019-09-08.
- Syrian Children Rise to Heavens, retrieved 2019-09-08
- Maram - Assassination of a dream مرام - إغتيال حلم, retrieved 2019-09-08
- "المسرحي السوري وليد قوتلي: تطوير المسرح عبر الاهتمام بالمواهب الشابة وإتاحة الفرص للطاقات الجادة". Unknown parameter
- "وليد القوتلي: التجريب فوق الخشبة شراكة تفجر الإبداع .. والثقافة تتعرض للإنحسار". www.alittihad.ae (in العربية). Retrieved 2019-09-08.
- "المخرج المسرحي وليد قوتلي التشكيل ومسرحة الشعر". شبكة جيرون الإعلامية (in العربية). 2017-12-18. Retrieved 2019-09-08.
- waiting for the barbarians مسرحية في انتظار البرابرة لوليد القوتلي ـ, retrieved 2019-09-08
- عرض الأيام السبعة للوقت, retrieved 2019-09-08
- nizwa. "قصيدة مع الماء صلاح ستيتيه". مجلة نزوى (in العربية). Retrieved 2019-09-08.
- فيلم جمال عبد الناصر ـ بطولة خالد الصاوي - عبلة كامل - هشام سليم كامل HD, retrieved 2019-09-08
This article "Walid Al-Kuwatli" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Walid Al-Kuwatli. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.