Anand K. Khakhar
|Anand K. Khakhar|
|M. P. Shah Medical College, University of Western Ontario|
💵 Salary :
Asia's first en-bloc combined heart and liver transplant
1st simultaneous Liver-Intestine- Pancreas transplant in India
Centre for Liver Disease & Transplantation
|🏅 Awards||Dr. B. C. Roy Award in 2016|
Anand K. Khakhar is an Indian surgeon known for his expertise on liver transplantation and hepatobiliary surgery. He has undergone a fellowship in American Society of Transplant Surgeons (ASTS) accreditation in liver & multi-organ transplantation and hepatobiliary surgery at the University of Western Ontario (2001-2003). He has established an infrastructure geared towards implementing successful liver transplants, specialising in both live, cadaveric, complex liver surgery, hepatobiliary and pancreatic surgery. He is experienced in performing both living donor liver transplant as well as cadaveric liver transplant.
Dr. Anand K. Khakhar was born in Rajkot in Gujarat, India. He completed his undergraduate MBBS in 1992,and his Masters of MS degree from the M. P. Shah Medical College, Jamnagar, DNB (Diplomat of National Board) fenito-urinary surgery (super-specialization - genito-urinary surgery). He has also done ASTS Fellowship Liver Transplantation & Hepatobiliary surgery at University of Western Ontario, Canada and Multi-Organ Transplant Fellowship (Liver & Pancreas Transplantation & HPB Surgery) at University of Pittsburgh.
Dr. Anand Khakhar is currently working as Senior Consultant Liver Transplant and Hepatobiliary Surgery and Program Director for the Center for Liver Disease & Transplantation, Apollo Hospitals, Chennai, Hyderabad and Bengaluru. He has been in this position since 2007.
At Apollo Hospitals, Dr. Anand Khakhar established the CLDT (Centre for Liver Disease & Transplantation) and has performed around 650 liver transplants (live and cadaveric), during which he was the primary surgeon for more than 500 liver transplants, and many kidney, pancreas and multi-visceral abdominal organ transplants.
After three years at Chennai and more than 700 liver transplantations. He has also developed complementary department colleagues in Hepatology, Gastroenterology, Anesthesia and Critical care within the group and set up similar programs at Apollo Hospitals in Hyderabad, Bangalore, Kolkata, Madurai, Vishakhapatnam and Vanagaram. He has developed the first liver transplant program in Pune at the Ruby Hall Hospital.
Dr. Anand Khakhar along with his team have completed more than 50 paediatric liver transplants. The children who have undergone the surgery were all under five years of age.
- Dr. B. C. Roy Award winner for his clinical Excellence for the year 2016.
- Dynamic Indian of the Millennium for the year 2017.
- Successful completion of 50 paediatric liver transplants since 2005
- Asia's first en-bloc combined heart & liver transplant was performed by Dr Anand Khakhar & Team along with Heart Transplant Team.
- First simultaneous liver-intestine-pancreas transplant in India.
- First simultaneous Kidney-Pancreas transplant in South India
- Successfully performed an isolated intestinal transplantation and transplants the abdominal wall-the first ever case in South India, all from the organs of a single donor.
After his fellowship at the University of Pittsburgh, he was appointed as a clinical instructor in liver transplantation, multi-organ transplantation and hepatobiliary surgery at the Columbia University Medical Centre in New York City. During his fellowship at Canada, Dr Khakhar cared for hundreds of pre-and post-abdominal organ transplant patients. His experience also includes many kidney, pancreas and multi-visceral abdominal organ transplants. He has been awarded several research grants during his stay in North America, has published several peer-reviewed original research articles and has written textbook chapters.
- Accredited Fellowship with ASTS (American Society of Transplant Surgeons) in liver & multi-organ transplantation & hepatobiliary surgery in 2003.
- Worked with Prof. Dr. Thomas Starzl, who performed the first liver transplantation in the world.
- Worked with Dr Amadeo Marcos, who is a pioneer in living donor liver transplantation in the United States.
- Clinical Instructor - Liver transplantation, multi-organ transplantation & hepatobiliary surgery at the Columbia University Medical Center, New York for 18 months.
- Worked with Dr Lloyd Ratner, who performed the world’s first laparoscopic donor nephrectomy.
- Liver transplantation
- Pancreatic disease
- "Dr. B. C. Roy Award", Wikipedia, 2018-06-28, retrieved 2018-07-09
- "Doctors from Tamil Nadu felicitated for distinguished service in specialised fields". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X.
- "MGR medical varsity plans paramedic certificate course in health care aid at home". The Covai Post. December 19, 2017. Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- "Apollo Hospitals completes 50 paediatric liver transplants". The Hindu. 2017-12-05. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2017-12-11.
- "En bloc heart, liver transplant performed at Apollo Hospitals". The Hindu. 14 November 2015. ISSN 0971-751X.
- "A team of surgeons of Apollo Hospitals, Chennai, led by Dr Anand Khakhar, performed the first simultaneous Liver - Intestine - Pancreas transplant in India!". Apollo Hospitals.
- "Chennai doctors perform city's first pancreatic transplant on woman". The Times of India.
- "Apollo Hospitals saves the life of 3 individuals; achieves the feat of transplanting the liver of a single donor into two adult recipients; successfully performs an isolated intestinal transplantation and transplants the abdominal wall- the first ever case". Apollo Hospitals.
- Official Site
This article "Anand K. Khakhar" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Anand K. Khakhar. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.