|Headquarters||Crusader House, Plot 3 Portal Avenue, Kampala, Uganda|
|No. of offices||1|
|No. of attorneys||11|
|No. of employees||24|
|Major practice areas||Tax Law|
|Key people||Enoch Barata (Founding Partner), Cephas K. Birungyi Founding Partner), Diana Kasabitti (Associate Partner).|
|Date founded||2003 (Kampala)|
|Founder||Enoch Barata & Cephas K. Birungyi|
Birungyi, Barata & Associates commonly known as Birungyi Barata is a Ugandan law firm with its Headquarters in Kampala, the capital city of Uganda. It is primarily a tax consultancy and commercial law firm founded in 2003. The firm is a specialist tax law firm in Uganda.
Birungyi, Barata & Associates was founded by Enoch Barata and Cephas K. Birungyi in 2003. Over the years, the firm has grown into a partnership of two partners, three tax consultants, eight lawyers and six support staff. Since its foundation, the Firm has handled multiple transactions for domestic and multi-national entities.
- Uganda Law Society (ULS)
- East African Law Society (EALS)
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- In 2006, Birungyi, Barata & Associates successfully represented Stanbic Bank and seven other Commercial Banks in High Court Civil Action No. 170 of 2007 and 782 of 2006 (Consolidated) between the banks and Uganda Revenue Authority (URA).
- In 2007, Birungyi, Barata & Associates successfully represented Tembo Steels Ltd in High Court Miscellaneous Application No. 521 of 2007 (ARISING FROM HCT-00-CC-CA-09-2007) between URA and Tembo Steels Ltd.
- Also in 2007, Birungyi, Barata & Associates represented Meera Investments Ltd in CIVIL APPEAL NO.22 OF 2007 between The Commissioner General URA and Meera Investments Ltd.
- In 2008, Birungyi, Barata & Associates successfully represented Fresh Handling Ltd in CIVIL APPEAL NO 13 0F 2008 between URA and Fresh Handling Ltd.
- Also in 2008, Birungyi, Barata & Associates represented Speke Hotel 1996 Ltd in CIVIL APPEAL NO. 12 OF 2008 between URA and Speke Hotel 1996 Ltd.
- Again in 2008, Birungyi, Barata & Associates successfully represented AON Uganda Ltd in HCT - 00 - CC - OS - 04 - 2008 between AON Uganda Ltd Ltd and URA.
- In 2012, Birungyi, Barata & Associates represented Victoria Repairs East Africa Limited in a case where the Ugandan Govt was sued over a sh20b (USD 8M) debt from past regimes.
- BMO Nesbitt Burns Inc
- Fraser Milner Casgrain LLP
- Thorsteinssons LLP
- Government of the Republic of Liberia
- Republic of Rwanda
- Federal Republic of Nigeria
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
- Republic of Zambia
- East African Community
- AON (Uganda)
- Meera Investments Ltd
- Tembo Steels Ltd
- Speke Hotel 1996 Ltd
Birungyi, Barata & Associates specializes in the following legal disciplines:
- Tax Advisory, Consulting & Litigation
- Corporate & Commercial Services
- Advocacy Litigation & Arbitration
- Intellectual Property
Awards & recognitions
- In 2010, the founding partners of Birungyi, Barata & Associates completed the Investing Across Borders (IAB) surveys as contributors and agreed to be publicly acknowledged by the World Bank Group.
- The founding partners of the firm together with Jacob Ngobi, the firm’s senior associate, are the only Ugandans recognized on the Pool of Experts list for Tax Planet, a worldwide network of legal and accounting professionals specializing in tax, both at national and international levels.
- The IFLR1000's financial and corporate law 2014 rankings for Birungyi, Barata & Associates indicate that it is a Tier 4 financial and corporate law firm.
- Law Development Centre
- Uganda Law Society
- "Uganda Revenue Authority v Speke Hotel 1996 Ltd (Civil Appeal No. 12 of 2008)". ulii.
- "Uganda Revenue Authority v Tembo Steels Ltd (High Court Miscellaneous Application No. 521 of 2007)". ulii.
- "The Commissioner General Uganda Revenue Authority v Meera Investments Ltd (CIVIL APPEAL NO.22 OF 2007)". ulii.
- "AON Uganda Ltd V URA (HCT - 00 - CC - OS - 04 - 2008)". ulii.
- "Birungyi Barata & Associates Law firm overview". IFLR1000.
- "Our Team". Birungyi, Barata & Associates.
- "Stanbic Bank Uganda Ltd & 7 Ors v Uganda Revenue Authority (High Court Civil Action No. 170 of 2007 and 782 of 2006 (Consolidated))". ulii.
- "Law Firm Management News December 2013 - A letter from Uganda". International Bar Association.
- "Uganda Revenue Authority v Fresh Handling Ltd (Civil Appeal No. 13 of 2008)". ulii.
- "Govt sued over sh20b debt from past regimes". New Vision.
- "Investing Across Borders". World Bank Group.
- "Pool of Experts". Tax Planet.
- Official website
- IFLR1000: The Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms
- Law Firms, Lawyers & Attorneys
This article "Birungyi Barata" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.