C. Sylendra Babu
This article may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. (May 2019)
Dr C Sylendra Babu, PhD
|Edit this InfoBox|
Kuzhithurai, Kanyakumari District,
Tamil Nadu, India5 June 1962
|Alma mater||National Police Academy|
University of Madras
Tamil Nadu Agricultural University
Dr. C. Sylendra Babu IPS (born 5 June 1962) is an Indian Police Service Officer of the 1987 batch belonging to the Tamil Nadu cadre. He is serving as the Director General of Police of the Railways (GRP) , Tamil Nadu. He holds a PhD in Criminology from the University of Madras. He is a voracious reader, motivational speaker and an avid fitness enthusiast.
Early Life and Education
Babu was born to a Tamil family, the fifth of seven children, to Chellappan and Ratnamal. He was raised in the town of Kuzhithura, Kanniyakumari District, Tamil Nadu. He attended the Govt Higher Secondary School, Kuzhithurai, Kanyakumari District. He has B.Sc. (Agri) degree  from the Agricultural College and Research Institute, Madurai and majored in agriculture from the Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore. Later,he obtained BGL and MA degrees in Population Studies from the Annamalai University and was awarded a PhD for his thesis on "missing children" by the University of Madras. In 2013, he obtained a Master of Business Administration degree in Human Resources. 
Sylendra Babu is known to follow a strict training regimen and has written a Tamil book on Physical fitness. He has actively participated and supported various sport activities such as swimming, athletics, shooting and cycling. During the course of his police training, he was awarded the RD Singh Cup for Swimming at the National Police Academy, Hyderabad. In December, 2004 he represented India for the 100 metres event in the Asian Masters Athletic Championships, Bangkok. He has also participated in several 10k runs such as the Chennai Marathon  and the Coimbatore Marathon. He led a contingent of 26 marine commandos for the Half Marathon event in the 2014 Auroville Marathon.
On 8 February 2013, Sylendra Babu organised and participated in an 890 km cycle rally from Chennai to Kanyakumari along with the members of Coastal Security Group and Indian Coast Guard. The rally was over a period of 10 days and aimed at creating awareness about the functioning of Coastal police and the Coast Guard among coastal residents. Being an ardent shooter, he has also participated in various police and civilian shooting competitions.
Sylendra Babu joined the Indian Police Service (IPS) as a member of the 1987 batch. He was trained at the National Police Academy, Hyderabad. He has served as the Assistant Superintendent of Police, in Dharmapuri ,Gobichettipalayam, Salem and Dindigul and as the Superintendent of Police, in Chengalpattu, Sivagangai, Cuddalore and Kancheepuram districts and as the Deputy Commissioner of Police, Adayar-Chennai. He has also served as the Deputy Inspector-General of Police of Viluppuram Range and as the Joint Commissioner of Police, Chennai. Later, he became the DIG of Police, Tiruchirapalli before becoming the Chief Vigilance Officer in Karur, served as Commissioner of Police, Coimbatore prior to becoming Inspector-General for Northern Zone, Chennai.
He was promoted to the rank of Additional Director-General of Police on April 2012 and is currently ADGP of Prisons, Tamil Nadu.
During his tenure as the commissioner of Coimbatore city, he introduced computer literacy programme in various schools in association with Lead India 2020. The schools are also adopted by the local police station under the programme. He has organised free karate camps for children from the poor economic section. He has also initiated karate camps in various women's colleges. see
Awards and honours
- Chief Minister’s Medal for outstanding devotion to duty in 2000 for curbing communal riots in Cuddalore
- Chief Minister’s Police Medal for Gallantry for armed encounter with a Naxalite in 1993 in Dindigul and for apprehending elephant poachers after a shoot-out on 25 January 2001 in Mudumalai Forest
- Prime Minister’s Medal for life saving in 2001 for saving 18 bus passengers who fell in the lake in Sivagangai in January 1997
- Special Task Force bravery medal upon death of the forest bandit Veerappan in 2004, for leading operations against him as the Additional Superintendent of Police of Gobichettipalayam in 1989
- President's Medal for Meritorious Service in 2005
- Blue Cross of India 2007 Award presented by Menaka Gandhi, President of the People for Animals in Chennai, for implementing effective preventive measures against animal cruelty
- The Best Alumnus Award presented by then Governor of Tamil Nadu, Surjit Singh Barnala in the Annual Convocation function held at the Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore on 25 July 2008, to felicitate 15 years of motivating Civil Service aspirants
- President’s Police Medal for Distinguished Service 26 January 2013
Sylendra Babu was manager of the Indian national athletic team in various events. He held this role for the 2002 Asian Athletics Championships – Colombo, Sri Lanka, the 2003 World Championships in Athletics – Paris, France and the 2007 World Championships in Athletics – Osaka, Japan. He was also appointed an observer of the Indian athletics contingent for the 2008 Summer Olympics, Beijing.
Sylendra Babu is the current president of the Throwball Federation of India, Tamil Nadu and also the vice-president of the Tamil Nadu Athletic Association. During his tenure as the president of the Coimbatore Rifle Club, from February 2010 to June 2011, he took the initiative to open rifle clubs in various schools across Tamil Nadu.
Babu is the author of several books,
- You Too Can Become an I.P.S. Officer (2008, ISBN 9788172542818)
- Neengalum IPS Adigaari Aagalam (2008,
- Boys & Girls - Be Ambitious (2009, ISBN 9788184494082)
- Principles of Success in Interview (2009, ISBN 978-8174789846) 
- A Guide to Health & Happiness (2012, ISBN 9788184494730)
- Udalinai Urithi Sei (2015, ISBN 9788184492644)
- Americavil 24 Naatkal
- Ungalukana 24 por vidhigal (2017, ISBN 9788174783660)
- "Dr. C Sylendra Babu IPS". sylendrababu.com. Archived from the original on 29 April 2009. Retrieved 26 July 2018.
- Subha J. Rao (19 May 2011). "A flower pot for your veggies". The Hindu. Retrieved 9 November 2012.
- The author has posted comments on this article (2014-01-27). "Top Chennai cops hit the books again - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2016-12-01.
- "Archive News". The Hindu. Retrieved 2016-12-01.
- "A Marathon Treat in Chennai". The New Indian Express. 2013-12-02. Retrieved 2016-12-01.
- "Together they ran, to fight cancer". The Hindu. 2013-10-07. Retrieved 2016-12-01.
- "CSG will ensure perfect functioning of all vessels: ADGP - TAMIL NADU". The Hindu. 2013-02-08. Retrieved 2016-12-01.
- "Shooting gets a fair share - TAMIL NADU". The Hindu. Retrieved 2016-12-01.
- "Sylendra Babu promoted ADGP-Coastal Security Group". The Hindu. PTI. 22 April 2012. Retrieved 9 March 2013.
- "Computer lab for schoolchildren dedicated". The Hindu. 13 December 2010. Retrieved 9 November 2012.
- P. Oppili (27 July 2005). "Eves yes, but pushovers they're certainly not". The Hindu. Retrieved 13 December 2012.
- "Tamil Nadu / Chennai News : Gandhirajan new IGP". The Hindu. 2005-10-23. Retrieved 2016-12-01.
- "STF to continue, says Jaya". Rediff India Abroad. PTI. 6 December 2004. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- "Stop fighting and be united, Maneka Gandhi tells animal rights activists". The Hindu. 11 January 2007.
- "second-string 3 TN cops bag President's Medal, 21 in merit award list". NewIndianExpress. Archived from the original on 28 January 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2013.
- "Second-string Indian team for ATF meet". Rediff Sports. 7 August 2002. Retrieved 9 November 2012.
- "Sylendra Babu to be athletic team manager". The Hindu. 24 August 2007. Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- "Tamilnadu". Throwball Federation of India. Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- "Coimbatore starts favourite". The Hindu. 27 October 2010. Retrieved 13 December 2012.
- Rozario, Rayan (28 October 2010). "Shooting, on a strong growth trajectory". The Hindu. Retrieved 13 December 2012.
- Rozario, Rayan (18 December 2010). "Shooting gets a fair share". The Hindu. Retrieved 13 December 2012.
- "Book for IPS Exam guidance by IPS Officer - Tamil Books & Entrance Exam including Bank Exams,Railway Exams, TNPSC Exam, MBA & MCA Entrance Exam". Archived from the original on 15 November 2010. Retrieved 26 November 2010.
- "Sylendra Babu motivates students". The Hindu. 10 July 2011. Retrieved 9 November 2012.
- "Principles of Success in Interview - Tamil Books & Entrance Exam including Bank Exams,Railway Exams, TNPSC Exam, MBA & MCA Entrance Exam". Archived from the original on 13 November 2010. Retrieved 26 November 2010.
- S. Thyagarajan (8 July 2008). "Physical fitne". The Hindu. Retrieved 9 November 2012.
This article "C. Sylendra Babu" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:C. Sylendra Babu. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.