June 20, 1971
|Area(s)||Designer, Artist, Author|
|Taxi Lamp (2002) |
DynaGlo Lamp (2005)
My Heart icon (2008)
The Red Riding Hood Lah!
The Three Little Pigs Lah!
Biography[edit | edit source]
After graduating from RMIT with a Bachelor of Design, Chen has been actively participating in the design field since 1994. Having worked for international design agencies, Chen is experience and versatility with various aspects of design, particularly in graphic arts.
Exposure[edit | edit source]
- Chen participated in Designboom Tokyo Mart in 2007.
- Commissioned for art installation consisting of five elaborately-designed stainless steel letters spelling out the words "I Will" for Singapore Total Defence Day 2010.
- One of the 7 designers selected to design tote bag 2010 NDP goodie bag giveaway.
- In 2013, Chen’s artwork GO Chicken pendant is part of the “Makan Time! Tuck in to Good Design”, a group art show organised by Little Thoughts Group, a collective of product designers. 
- Chen is commissioned for a product design in 2016 featuring Japan-Singapore 50 years, Cloud Expresso with Huls.
- In June 2017, he was one of the key speakers to speak at SPARK - an annual International Design Conference in Bangkok University.
- Chen is one of the Singaporean artists invited to participate in YIAF (Yogyakarta International Art Festival) in October 2017, with a mixed media artwork titled Borobudur I.
Singlish Fairytale[edit | edit source]
Chen is the author to The Three Little Pigs Lah!, a Singlish version of the popular children Fairy tale. He wrote the 24- page book in two months at the beginning of this year, while recovering from donating a kidney to his elder brother. It later goes viral with shares on Facebook and other social media sites, after a page was posted on humour website 9Gag.
A second Singlish fairytale, The Red Riding Hood Lah! is published in 2015.
Artwork Damage[edit | edit source]
In 2014, Jurong Point commissioned Chen for an art installation comprising reproductions of $2, $5, $10 and $50 notes.
Two weeks after it went on display, the artwork - made of wallpaper and stickers printed with images of currency notes - had to be taken down for breaching guidelines by the Monetary Authority of Singapore. But even before that, someone had ripped off a portion of it, measuring about 30cm by 30cm, from one of the walls. The culprit was never caught.
Chen, is sanguine about the episode. "I like to think the culprit wanted to own a Casey Chen original. Maybe when I'm famous, the piece might be worth some real money."
NDP Mobile App 2013 Copyright Claim[edit | edit source]
In 2013, Chen filed a complaint against National Day Parade (NDP) mobile app logo, claiming the app used one of his patterns created in 2008 - the "Singapore Heart Flag" without his knowledge. This prompted the NDP organising committee to remove the design from all NDP collaterals."
Other Notable works[edit | edit source]
- Taxi Lamp (2002), featured in Home&Deco Magazines in 2005
- DynaGlo Lamp (2005)
- My Heart icon(2008), featured in DesignBoom.com in 2008
- The Three Little Pigs Lah, Singlish, Classic Tales, 2013
- The Red Riding Hood Lah, Singlish, Classic Tales, 2015
- Cloud Expresso, Huls Singapore, 2016
References[edit | edit source]
- ridhika naidoo (August 7, 2008). "'my heart' icon by casey chen". Design Boom.
- Michelle Loh (February 11, 2010). "Turning pledges into reality this Total Defence Day". Ministry of Defence Singapore.
- Suzz (July 30, 2010). "Casey Chen – The artist who loves his country". Artitude.
- "Something's cookin': Makan Time!". Ministry of Communication & Information Singapore. Jan 16, 2013.
- A. Sartono (November 14, 2017). "YIAF 2017 Silaturahmi Seni Antarnegara di Yogyakarta". Berita Tembi Rumah Budaya.
- Benson Ang (Dec 9, 2013). "'My Singlish is not very good'". Asia One.
- "'My Singlish is not very good'" (PDF). The New Paper. Dec 8, 2013.
- Benson Ang (April 10, 2016). "Please keep off the artworks". The Strait Times.
- Benson Ang (Aug 7, 2013). "NDP phone app logo changed after copyright claim". Asia One.
[edit | edit source]
This article "Casey Chen" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Casey Chen. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.