Center for the Study of Christianity & Justice
|Affiliations||Catalan Jesuits, Catholic|
|Nine and numerous writers|
|Remarks||Jesuits in Catalan founded Luis Espinal Foundation to support Christianity & Justice center.|
The Center for the Study of Christianity & Justice (Cristianisme i Justícia: CJ) was created by the Jesuits of Catalonia in 1981 for social and theological reflection. Located in Barcelona, it joins together an interdisciplinary team of more than 80 teachers of social sciences and theology with experts and professionals who have direct contact with social realities. To secure the mission of the Center, the Jesuits in 1989 created the Luis Espinal Foundation, a private non-profit organization.
The Center is a member of the Catalan Federation of NGOs for Peace, Human Rights and Development, the Catalan Social Forum, the Catalan Forum of Theology and Liberation, and the Platform of Christian Organizations for Immigrants, and it partners with groups like Oxfam.
The Center was created by the Society of Jesus in Catalonia under the Jesuit Provincial Fr. Ignasi Salvat in 1981.
The work of the center is done at three levels:
- 1. Interdisciplinary study, internal seminars, and working groups.
- 3. Online classroom which was initiated in Spring 2017 with the courses "Change of era, change of course," "Keys to understanding Islam," and "The poor in Christian theology and spirituality."
in continuity with Luís Espinal who was murdered by a Bolivian death squad for his advocacy for human rights, one of the main themes of the center's theology is a vision of Christianity with indignation against injustice, and praise for God who is always on the side of the excluded and oppressed. Rafael Díaz-Salazar , a professor at the Faculty of Political Science and Sociology from the Complutense University of Madrid, described this message as follows: "Without struggle against injustice, faith in God is dead, although it be proclaimed everywhere." This basic theme is summarized by the Basque priest and theologian Javier Vitoria in his book on "a kneeling and indignant theology," where he argues that "the struggle for justice should be the central task of apostolic activity, not because of a moral imperative but because injustice discredits our faith in God."
Presenters at the Christianity & Justice have included Javier Melloni, Antoni Comín, James Botey, and Llorenç Puig.
- CJ titles. Retrieved 24 February 2016.
- Team. Retrieved 25 February 2019.
- "Nou director de Cristianisme i Justícia" [New Director at Christianity & Justice]. Corporació Catalana de Mitjans Audiovisuals (CCMA). 17 November 2014. Retrieved 29 September 2017.
- Domingo, Oriol (24 December 2006). ""Dios toma partido por los pobres": Cristianisme i Justícia, impulsado por los jesuitas de Catalunya reafirma su compromiso al cumplir 25 años". La Vanguardia (in castellà). p. 36. Retrieved 29 September 2017.CS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link)
- "Fundació Lluís Espinal (Cristianisme i Justícia)" (in català). Coordinadora Catalana de Fundacions. Retrieved 29 September 2017.
- "FCONGD" (PDF). Retrieved 24 February 2017.
- Administrator. "Entitats Integrants". www.pastoralsocial.cat (in català). Retrieved 24 February 2017.
- "Els directors de Cristianisme i Justícia i Oxfam Intermón demanen a Marc Márquez que es repensi la residència andorrana". Ara.cat (in català). Retrieved 24 February 2017.
- Religió, Catalunya (24 June 2011). "Mor el jesuïta Ignasi Salvat, exprovincial i fundador de Cristianisme i Justícia". CatalunyaReligió.cat (in català). Retrieved 24 February 2017.
- "'Repensar el treball. Un debat ineludible', curs de Cristianisme i Justícia del 2 al 23 de febrer". Entitats Catalanes d'Acció Social (in català). 17 January 2017. Retrieved 24 February 2017.
- Religió, Catalunya (13 September 2016). "Cristianisme i Justícia estrena Aula Virtual". CatalunyaReligió.cat (in català). Retrieved 24 February 2017.
- Kohut, David & Olga Vilella. (2010). Historical Dictionary of the Dirty Wars. Lanham, Maryland: Scarecrow. p. 154. ISBN 978-0-8108-5839-8. Search this book on
- Justícia, Cristianisme i (29 November 2013). "Javier Vitoria: "La injusticia desacredita nuestra fe en Dios"". Blog de CJ. Retrieved 24 February 2017.
This article "Center for the Study of Christianity & Justice" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Center for the Study of Christianity & Justice. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.