Christopher M Ovdiyenko
|Christopher M Ovdiyenko|
Chris Ovdiyenko in 2013 at his studio.
|Born||Born August 28, 1974|
|Notable work||Calaveras Playing Cards, Oracle Playing Cards, Arcana Playing Cards|
|Style||Engraved, Hand Drawn|
|👩 Spouse(s)||Adria Ovdiyenko|
Search Chris Ovdiyenko on Amazon.
Christopher Matthew Ovdiyenko (born August 28, 1974) is a Columbus, Ohio-based contemporary illustrator and designer, and co-founder of Dead On Paper, LLC. He first became known for his playing card designs which feature hand-drawn illustrations with an engraved design aesthetic.
Chris Ovdiyenko was born in New York City, the son of Walter Ovdiyenko and Anna Ovdiyenko. He grew up in Barto, Pennsylvania, attending the Boyertown Area School District, as well as spending a year at The Hill School, a private college preparatory school in Pottstown, Pennsylvania. While in high school, Chris was accepted into and attended the Pennsylvania Governor's School for the Arts, an intensive summer arts program. During this time, he also worked with Val Bertoia, a metal sculptor, who maintained a workshop in Bally, Pennsylvania—a town close to Barto.
From 1992 through 1996, Chris attended Parson's School of Design studying Fine Arts.
Ovdiyenko worked in advertising until launching his first Kickstarter campaign in 2013 for custom illustrated playing cards and relief prints of his artwork. He continues to use crowd-funding as the means through which he produces his art.
In July 2013, Chris founded DeadOnPaper.com with his wife, Adria Ovdiyenko.
Calaveras Playing Cards project was successfully funded through Kickstarter on July 22, 2013 raising over $60,000 and attracting 1452 backers. This body of work is themed around the Mexican Day of the Dead holiday, and was inspired by the artwork of José Guadalupe Posada.
Oracle - Mystifying Playing Cards
The Oracle Playing Cards project took its inspiration from the spiritualist movement of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Subject matter explored automatic writing, ouija boards, seances, and spirits. The original Kickstarter was successfully funded on November 8, 2013. It raised over $52,000 from more than 1100 backers.
Arcana - Tarot Playing Cards
Funded in February, 2015, the Arcana Playing Cards project was at the time the highest funding for a playing card project on Kickstarter. It merged tarot cards with playing cards and featured hand drawn original compositions for all the Major Arcana cards in a tarot deck. In addition to the playing cards, the Arcana project also included a book, The Illustrated Guide to Arcana.
Hobo Coins | Series II
Ecliptic Playing Cards
Ecliptic Playing Cards was a playing card project funded on Kickstarter on March 13, 2018. It raised $31,850. Drawing it's inspiration from Astrology and the Zodiac, Ecliptic Playing Cards utilized a unique engraved art style on star backgrounds.
In 2013, Chris Ovdiyenko was featured in The Columbus Dispatch for Calaveras Playing Cards. 614 Magazine labeled his art as having "laborious attention to detail and iconic form" in an March 3, 2015 article. Kardify.com, an online playing card review site, voted the Arcana Cards to be in their "Top 12: Playing Cards of 2015"." In 2018, Max Playing Cards called Chris Ovdiyenko one of the most "talented and successful" playing card artists.
Chris Ovdiyenko lives in the greater Columbus area with his wife Adria Ovdiyenko, son Dylan, and daughter Phaedra.
- "Calaveras — Playing cards inspired by the Day of the Dead". Kickstarter. Retrieved 2016-09-26.
- "Oracle - Mystifying Playing Cards". Kickstarter. Retrieved 2016-09-26.
- Ovdiyenko, Chris. "Kickstarter.com". Discover Games / Playing Cards / Most Funded—Kickstarter. Kickstarter.com. Retrieved 26 September 2016.
- "Hobo Coins". Kickstarter. Retrieved 2017-04-25.
- "Hobo Coins - Series II". Kickstarter. Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- "Ecliptic | Zodiac Playing Cards". Kickstarter. Retrieved 2018-03-20.
- "Old art inspires design for decks of cards". The Columbus Dispatch. Retrieved 2018-03-26.
- "Man Makes Fortune". 614 Columbus. Retrieved 2016-09-26.
- "Top 12: Playing Cards of 2015". www.kardify.com. Retrieved 2016-09-26.
- "ECLIPTIC Playing Cards. The zodiacal universe according to Chris Ovdiyenko - Max Playing Cards". www.maxplayingcards.com. Retrieved 2018-03-26.
- Let’s See That Printed: Dead On Paper’s Extraordinary Tarot Card Prints by Rebecca Miller (retrieved 2016-10-29)
This article "Chris Ovdiyenko" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Chris Ovdiyenko. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.