Conservative Friends of America
Conservative Friends of America is an associated organisation affiliated with the British Conservative Party. It's primary focus is on improving United Kingdom–United States relations. The group was an informal successor to The Atlantic Bridge, which was set up in 1997 with the same purpose. The group is associated with Conservatives Abroad.
It was founded in 2008 by Lichfield MP Michael Fabricant. Then Leader of the Opposition, David Cameron was made the group's president, and then Shadow Foreign Secretary William Hague was made vice-president. Patrons of the group included Michael Howard and Sir Malcolm Rifkind. In March 2009, the group expanded membership to prospective parliamentary candidates.
A number of Conservative MPs endorsed Barack Obama in the 2008 presidential election. When David Cameron became Prime Minister, the Conservative Party became increasingly friendly with the American Democratic Party under President Obama, and more opposed to their more traditional allies in the Republican Party.
Mark Garnier has served as the Vice-Chair.
As of 2020, there are three Conservative Members of the House of Commons that are UK-USA dual nationals; Greg Hands, Tobias Ellwood and Joy Morrissey.
- "Michael Fabricant MP establishes Conservative Friends of America". ConservativeHome's ToryDiary. Retrieved 2020-07-14.
- "Charity created by Liam Fox axed after watchdog issues criticism". the Guardian. 2011-10-05. Retrieved 2020-07-14.
- "United States of America". Conservatives Abroad. Retrieved 2021-05-03.
- "About". Michael Fabricant. Retrieved 2020-07-14.
- "Michael Fabricant: It's high time for us to rediscover our gung-ho spirit". Conservative Home. Retrieved 2020-07-14.
- "CONSERVATIVE FRIENDS OF AMERICA". Michael Fabricant. 2008-03-05. Retrieved 2020-07-14.
- "Michael Fabricant MP opens up membership of Conservative Friends of America to candidates". ConservativeHome's Seats & Candidates blog. Retrieved 2020-07-14.
- Lowry, Ben (2008-07-22). "Tory MPs abandon Republicans to back Barack Obama". ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 2020-07-14.
- Swaine, Jon (2012-07-25). "David Cameron 'angered US conservatives' with 'unprecedented' election-year embrace of Barack Obama". ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 2020-07-14.
- Caldwell, Christopher (2009-07-08). "Can David Cameron Redefine Britain's Tory Party?". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2020-07-14.
- "About Mark Garnier". Mark Garnier. Retrieved 2020-07-14.
- writer, staff. "Election of Joy Morrissey keeps American headcount in UK Parliament at three". americanexpatfinance.com. Retrieved 2020-07-14.
- List of organisations associated with the Conservative Party (UK)
- Conservative Friends of the Chinese
- Conservative Friends of Gibraltar
- Conservative Friends of India
- Conservative Friends of Israel
- Conservative Friends of Pakistan
- Conservative Friends of Turkey
- Friends of Wales Caucus
|This article related to the politics of the United Kingdom, or its predecessor or constituent states, is a stub. You can help EverybodyWiki by expanding it.|
|This article related to the politics of the United States is a stub. You can help EverybodyWiki by expanding it.|
This article "Conservative Friends of America" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Conservative Friends of America. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.