|🏡 Residence||Christiansburg, Virginia|
|EOS, Steem, and BitShares|
Daniel Larimer is a software programmer and cryptocurrency entrepreneur. Larimer is one of the team who started the cryptocurrency platform BitShares, co-founded the blockchain Steem, and is currently CTO of Block.one, a company involved with the development of EOS. Larimer was also the creator of the DPOS (Delegated Proof of Stake Algorithm) consensus algorithm and Graphene technology. In February 2018, Forbes estimated Larimer's net worth between $600 to $700 million.
Larimer's father is Stan Larimer, who worked for Boeing, and with whom he founded Cryptonomex Inc., a blockchain technology consulting business. He received his Bachelor of Science (BS) in Computer Science from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in 2003. After launching a virtual reality startup that failed, he worked in the defense, robotics and automation industries. His interest in blockchains began in 2009, around the time Bitcoin was invented.
Larimer is one of the team who developed the blockchain technology Graphene, which powers the BitShares cryptocurrency.
In 2013, Larimer and community started BitShares, a crypto-exchange managed by a community instead of a single authority. BitShares were originally named ProtoShares and intended to function as shares of virtual companies. It has since been described as a cryptocurrency platform, a digital currency, or a digital exchange. It's organized as a decentralized autonomous organization (DAO).
In 2016 Larimer left BitShares to co-found the blockchain Steem and the application Steemit, a social network which uses blockchain technology to reward users for their content, on top of it. After co-founding Steemit together with Ned Scott, Larimer was CTO of the platform until March 14, 2017.
On 29 November 2018, Larimer delivered a seminar about blockchain to discuss the blockchain technology in Virginia Tech's College . He also advised the university about curricular development because Block.one initiated $3 million commitment to the Department of Computer Science in Virginia Tech's College for blockchain learning development.
On 26 January 2019, Larimer attended a blockchain boot camp at Virginia Tech's Blacksburg campus. The event is held by Virginia Tech and Block.one to help students understand the latest EOSIO Blockchain technology.
Interactions with Satoshi Nakamoto
On 29 June 2010, interactions between Larimer and Satoshi Nakamoto sparked one of the most famous quotes from Satoshi towards Larimer:
- Demmitt, Jacob (Mar 17, 2018). "Empty walls and big ambitions: Inside block.one, the $1.5 billion cryptocurrency startup taking shape in Blacksburg". The Roanoke Times. Retrieved 17 July 2018.
- "Dan Larimer, Creator Of The Fastest Blockchains, Now Targeting Sub-second Latency In EOS". Cryptocoin.news. October 8, 2017.
- Kauflin, Jeff (Feb 7, 2018). "Dan Larimer's Path From Working On Weapons To Minting Crypto Riches". Forbes.
- "Daniel Larimer - A Passion for Freedom via Decentralization".
- Singh, Mohit (5 July 2017). "The Wizard behind Bitshares, Steem & EOS - How Dan Larimer is shaping our future". Retrieved 1 November 2018.
- Bullock, Nicole (2 June 2018). "Blockchain start-up raises more than $4bn". FT.com. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- Samson, Adam (30 January 2018). "SEC accuses crypto-bank of fraud, halts $1bn initial coin offering". FT.com. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- Murray, Nate (19 November 2017). "100 cryptocurrencies described in four words or less". TechCrunch. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- Kaminska, Izabella (17 May 2016). "More decentralised autonomous organisation (DAO) mysticism". FT.com. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- "The Social Network Doling Out Millions in Ephemeral Money", WIRED, 4 October 2017, retrieved 1 November 2018
- "Joint Statement". Steemit Inc. Retrieved 2019-03-13.
- "Block.one CTO Dan Larimer to host discussion on the potential of Blockchain's potential at Virginia Tech". vtnews.vt.edu. Retrieved 2019-02-01.
- "Block.one - High Performance Blockchain Solutions". Block.one. Retrieved 2019-02-04.
- Block.one (2019-01-25). "We look forward to having students join our CTO, Dan Larimer (@bytemaster7) and team at the @virginia_tech and http://Block.one blockchain boot camp this Saturday, to get hands-on experience with #EOSIO. #EOS community - do you have any advice for the students?https://twitter.com/BEAMvt/status/1088069076386283520 …". @block_one_. Retrieved 2019-02-04. External link in
- "Blockchain boot camp prepares students for work with emerging software platforms". vtnews.vt.edu. Retrieved 2019-02-04.
- "Scalability and transaction rate". bitcointalk.org.
This article "Daniel Larimer" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Daniel Larimer. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.