Dear Evan Hansen (film)
|Dear Evan Hansen|
|Directed by||Stephen Chbosky|
|Screenplay by||Steven Levenson|
|Based on||Dear Evan Hansen|
by Benj Pasek
|Edited by||Anne McCabe|
Marc Platt Productions
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
Dear Evan Hansen is an upcoming American musical teen drama film directed by Stephen Chbosky, and adapted to the screen by Steven Levenson from his and Benj Pasek and Justin Paul's 2015 stage musical of the same name. A Universal Pictures/Marc Platt production, the film features Platt's son, Ben Platt, reprising his performance in the title role which he originated on stage, along with an ensemble cast that includes Julianne Moore, Kaitlyn Dever, Colton Ryan, Amy Adams, Danny Pino, Nik Dodani, Amandla Stenberg and DeMarius Copes.
Evan Hansen, a high school student with social anxiety disorder, takes advantage of the suicide of a classmate for his own emotional gains, after accidentally letting a letter he wrote to himself be taken by the classmate, whose family mistakes it for being written by their son to Evan.
- Ben Platt as Evan Hansen
- Kaitlyn Dever as Zoe Murphy
- Amandla Stenberg as Alana Beck
- Colton Ryan as Connor Murphy
- Nik Dodani as Jared Kleinman
- Amy Adams as Cynthia Murphy
- Danny Pino as Larry Murphy
- Julianne Moore as Heidi Hansen
- DeMarius Copes as Oliver
- Gerald Caesar as Josh
- Liz Kate
Universal Pictures purchased the film rights to the musical in November 2018, hiring Stephen Chbosky as director, and the writer of the musical Steven Levenson also set to write the screenplay for the film. Marc Platt and Adam Siegel will serve as producers, while the show's composers Benj Pasek and Justin Paul, will serve as executive producers alongside Levenson.
In June 2020, Ben Platt, who originated the role of Evan Hansen on stage and is a son of Marc Platt, was expected to be reprising his role for the film, and Kaitlyn Dever entered negotiations to star as Zoe Murphy as well. On June 18, 2020, Ben Platt stated that as long as the COVID-19 pandemic allows for a film to be made in a timely manner, he will reprise his role unless he outgrows it. In August 2020, Kaitlyn Dever was officially cast as Zoe Murphy and Amandla Stenberg joined the cast as Alana Beck, a role that has been expanded upon for the film. Stenberg will also collaborate with Pasek and Paul on the writing of a new song for her character. That same month, Nik Dodani and Colton Ryan joined the cast of the film as Jared Kleinman and Connor Murphy respectively, the latter of whom reprising the role in which he understudied on Broadway. Near the end of that month, Amy Adams and Danny Pino joined the cast as Cynthia and Larry Murphy, the latter of whom was re-conceived for the film as their children's stepfather. In September 2020, Julianne Moore and DeMarius Copes joined the cast of the film. Moore will play Heidi Hansen and Copes will make his film acting debut as Oliver, one of Zoe Murphy's friends and a new character created specifically for the film. That same month, Gerald Caesar joined the cast of the film as Josh, one of the high school students. In October 2020, Liz Kate joined the cast of the film in an undisclosed role.
On August 25, 2020, Ben Platt confirmed that principal photography had begun. It will be shot in Los Angeles, California and Atlanta, Georgia, with primary filming with the main cast taking place in October and expected to end around Thanksgiving. About making the film during the COVID-19 pandemic, Kaitlyn Dever said to Variety, "I'm very happy that we’re able to make something so special during such a strange and sad and confusing times ... I have gotten used to the 'doing nothing' part of my job, which is just sitting and waiting for something to happen. Now, I feel like I'm really geared up for this and ready to go."
- White, Jessica (2020-09-26). "Dear Evan Hansen movie cast revealed as Broadway show comes to screen". Stage Chat. Retrieved 2020-10-12.
- Busch, Anita (2018-11-29). "Tony Award-Winning Musical 'Dear Evan Hansen' Will Be Universal Pictures, Marc Platt Film; 'Wonder's Stephen Chbosky May Direct". Deadline. Retrieved 2020-06-11.
- Fleming, Mike Jr. (2020-06-11). "Kaitlyn Dever In Talks For Universal Movie Adaptation Of 'Dear Evan Hansen'". Deadline. Retrieved 2020-06-11.
- Nepales, Ruben V. (2020-06-18). "Ben Platt talks about 'Dear Evan Hansen' film, boyfriend Noah Galvin and 'The Politician' highlight". Inquirer Entertainment. Retrieved 2020-07-26.
- Galuppo, Mia (August 17, 2020). "Amandla Stenberg Joins Universal Musical Adaptation 'Dear Evan Hansen'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 17, 2020.
- Kroll, Justin (August 19, 2020). "Nik Dodani and Colton Ryan Join Universal's 'Dear Evan Hansen' Adaptation". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 19, 2020.
- "Amy Adams Joins Universal's 'Dear Evan Hansen' Musical | Hollywood Reporter". www.hollywoodreporter.com.
- Kroll, Justin (September 1, 2020). "Julianne Moore Joins Universal's 'Dear Evan Hansen' Movie". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved September 1, 2020.
- Hipes, Patrick; N’Duka, Amanda (September 24, 2020). "Catherine Eaton's 'The Sounding' Gets Giant Pictures Deal, Release Date; Gerald Caesar Joins 'Dear Evan Hansen' – Film Briefs". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved September 24, 2020.
- Jackson, Angelique (October 6, 2020). "'Dear Evan Hansen' Movie Adds Newcomer Liz Kate to Cast (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved October 6, 2020.
- "Back to Work: TV Production Resumes in Some Cities". August 6, 2020.
- "Birmingham's DeMarius Copes, cast in 'Dear Evan Hansen' movie, on his trek to Broadway and Hollywood". October 2, 2020.
- Yap, Audrey Cleo (October 13, 2020). "Kaitlyn Dever on Filming 'Dear Evan Hansen' During the Pandemic". Retrieved October 20, 2020.
This article "Dear Evan Hansen (film)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Dear Evan Hansen (film). Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.