Death of Merit
The Death of Merit is a three-part documentary series made by the Insight Foundation, a Dalit-Adivasi student group. It documents caste-based discrimination prevalent in the Indian higher education system that had resulted in a large number of suicides of Dalit students in Indian campuses.
These documentaries are based on the testimonies of parents and family members of students who committed suicide. They basically expose the kind of caste-based hostility and harassment Dalit and Adivasi students have had to suffer from the faculties, fellow students, and administration in some of the country’s premier educational institutions.
The first part in the series is titled The Death of Merit: A Documentary. It was originally published on 24 April 2011 on the group's blog, at thedeathofmeritinindia.wordpress.com. This part documents testimonies of parents and family members of Dr. Balmukund Bharti, a final year MBBS student from All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, who committed suicide on 3 March 2010.
The second part in the series titled Dr. Jaspreet Singh: The Death of Merit – Another Documentary documents the testimonies of parents and family members of Dr. Jaspreet Singh, a final year MBBS student from Government Medical College and Hospital, Chandigarh, who committed suicide on 27 January 2008.
The third in the series is titled The Death of Merit: Manish Kumar (IIT Roorkee) [A Documentary] documents testimonies of parents and family members of Manish Kumar Guddolian, a second year student who was graduating from the Department of Computer Science & Information Technology, at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Roorkee, who committed suicide by jumping from the fifth floor of his hostel on 6 February 2011.
References[edit | edit source]
- Munshi, Suhas. "Help for reserved categories". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 13 May 2017.
- "'The Death of Merit': A Documentary". Round Table India. Retrieved 13 May 2017.
- "AIIMS student kills self in hostel room". The Indian Express. Retrieved 13 May 2017.
- "Dr Jaspreet Singh: The Death of Merit – Another Documentary". Death of Merit. Retrieved 13 May 2017.
- Nagarkoti, Rajinder. "GMCH suicide: Charges framed against two". The Times of India. Retrieved 13 May 2017.
- "Documentary: The Death of Merit – Manish Kumar (IIT Roorkee)". Dr. B. R. Ambedkar's Caravan. Retrieved 13 May 2017.
- Kunwar, DS. "Student of IIT Roorkee commits suicide". The Times of India. Retrieved 13 May 2017.
This article "Death of Merit" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Death of Merit. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.