Felicilandia (Spanish for happy land) was a large amusement park located in Guaynabo, Puerto Rico, next to San Patricio Plaza. The park was opened in 1972 by Henry and Lee Kirschner. The Kirschners were in the business of opening amusement parks, including Seminoland in Florida.
In 1976, when Felicilandia filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, it was affiliated with the Creative Country Day School at Westchester.
In 1991, a storage building behind Felicilandia was bought by the owners of San Patricio Plaza and converted into another part of the mall, a two story building right by the amusement park which added eight stores and offices to the mall.
Felicilandia was a year-round attraction which remained open for two decades. When it closed in the mid 1990s, some of the amusement rides were relocated for use elsewhere.
An exhibit at the San Patricio Plaza created in 2014 included pictures and a little history of when Felicilandia was there. Located in Guaynabo, a highly populated municipality, Felicilandia is a place steeped in nostalgia for some residents of Puerto Rico.
The park had multiple rides, including:
- a ferris wheel
- bumper cars
- a main roller coaster
- a children's roller coaster
- a children's ride where kids could drive cars up and down a play mountain, with a bridge included
The producers of a cartoon web-series, "Mofongolandia", were partly inspired by their experiences as children visiting Felicilandia to create their cartoon show.
- "10 lugares que ya no existen en Puerto Rico". Primera Hora.
- Gernsten, Alan (30 September 1975). "Seminoland Park to open on Oct. 10". The Miami News. Retrieved 22 September 2020.
- "Business Records". March 19, 1976 – via NYTimes.com.
- "History". www.galeriasanpatricio.com.
- Arrieta, Raymond (10 September 2014). "Hablemos de Maquinas [Let's talk about machines]". Primera Hora. Retrieved 22 September 2020.
- "Serie boricua busca competir con South Park". El Nuevo Día (in español). 23 June 2014. Retrieved 22 September 2020.
This article "Felicilandia" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Felicilandia. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.