Friends Community School
This page is a new unreviewed article. This template should be removed once the page has been reviewed by someone other than its creator; if necessary the page should be appropriately tagged for cleanup. (March 2018)
|Friends Community School|
5901 Westchester Park Drive College Park, Maryland 20740
Fatal error: The format of the coordinate could not be determined. Parsing failed.
|Head of School||Larry Clements|
|Student to teacher ratio||8:1|
Friends Community School (FCS) is a progressive, Quaker K-8 day school in College Park, Maryland.
In 1986, FCS was founded by the Adelphi Friends Meeting as a K-6 school. Its current campus was built in 2007 when grades 7 and 8 were added to the school.
FCS divides its students between the Lower School (K-4) and Middle School (5-8). All FCS students study language arts, social studies, math, art, science, Spanish, music, and PE. Math is taught with the Math in Focus program.
As a Friends school, FCS incorporates Quaker traditions across all grades. Those include regular times for silent reflection and the use of creative conflict resolution.
All grades have annual camping trips to Catoctin Quaker Camp.
Lower School (K-4)
Kindergarten students learn in traditional single-year classrooms. In grades first through fourth, students learn in two-year multi-age classrooms. The Lower School curriculum is centered around hands-on learning and unifying themes across different subjects.
Middel School (5-8)
In grades fifth through eighth, students learn in traditional single-year classrooms. The Middle School curriculum emphasizes how what the students learn applies to the school community. Middle School students are offered different arts electives.
- 48% of the student body are students of color.
- Average class size is 12-18 students.
High School Placement
FCS graduates go to a wide range of independent, Quaker, and public high schools in the Washington, DC area. Graduates from the class of 2017 matriculated to:
- Bishop McNamara High School
- Brooklyn Friends School
- Bullis School
- DeMatha Catholic High School
- Edmund Burke School
- Eleanor Roosevelt High School
- Elizabeth Seton High School
- Albert Einstein High School
- St. Vincent Pallotti High School
- Northwestern Jim Henson Academy for the Visual/Performing Arts
- Sandy Spring Friends School
- School Without Walls High School
- "History". Friends Community School. Retrieved 2018-03-10.
- "Curriculum". Friends Community School. Retrieved 2018-03-11.
- "Mission & Values". Friends Community School. Retrieved 2018-03-11.
- "Traditions". Friends Community School. Retrieved 2018-03-11.
- "Lower School". Friends Community School. Retrieved 2018-03-11.
- "Middle School". Friends Community School. Retrieved 2018-03-11.
- "After FCS". Friends Community School. Retrieved 2018-03-11.
This article "Friends Community School" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Friends Community School. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.