Gayatri in March 2015
|Birth name||Surya Gayatri Nair|
|Born||2001 (age 18–19)|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, pianist & singer|
|Instruments||Piano and vocals|
Gayatri Nair (/
Early life and education[edit | edit source]
Gayatri Nair was born in Madras, India and raised in London, United Kingdom. She was involved in music, performance arts and sports from a young age. Nair started her primary education at St. Anthony's Catholic School in East Dulwich and learned performance arts at a kids part of BRIT School. Nair was taught by concert pianist Evelina Puzaite and Classical voice coach Tamara Zivadinovic.
In 2012 Nair won a place in the internationally famous The Purcell School for Young Musicians, the oldest music school in United Kingdom. Nair is also a martial artist who holds a black belt in Taekwondo.
Nair has performed in many local concert performances and recitals. Her performances include acoustic covers of popular Soul, R&B and Pop songs.
Career[edit | edit source]
In 2010, Nair appeared on a segment from Nickelodeon TV which featured talented kids from the UK. In 2013, Nair published an acoustic cover of Titanium by David Guetta on Youtube, which attracted tens of thousands of viewers.
2018: The Voice[edit | edit source]
Nair auditioned for The Voice UK Season 7 of ITV's singing competition, The Voice, as revealed on The Voice UK twitter page. During the Blind Auditions, she performed Jussie Smollett & Alicia Keys' hit song "Powerful" from Empire (2015 TV series). Three out of four coaches, Tom Jones (singer), Jennifer Hudson and will.i.am, turned their chairs for her, and she opted for Jennifer Hudson.
In the knockouts, Nair covered This Is Me (Keala Settle song) from the movie The Greatest Showman, which moved Jennifer Hudson to tears. Chosen by the mentor Jennifer Hudson, Nair progressed to Semifinals of The Voice UK (series 7). Later Keala Settle [@kealasettle] (March 17, 2018). "OMG BABY GURL! Shine that light inside of you for ALL this planet to SEE !!!" (Tweet) – via Twitter. shared her thoughts on the performance.
|Blind audition||"Powerful"||Jussie Smollett & Alicia Keys||January 27, 2018||Three chairs turned|
|Battles||"SKIN" (vs. Ant&OX - Duo)||Rag'n'Bone Man||March 10, 2018||Winner of battle,|
chosen by coach
|Knockout||This Is Me (Keala Settle song)||Keala Settle||March 17, 2018||Progressed to|
|Semifinals||March 31, 2018|
References[edit | edit source]
- "The Voice UK's Gayatri Nair stuns with 'This Is Me' Greatest Showman cover". Tellymix. Retrieved 17 March 2018.
- "Gayatri on the Voice". ITV. Retrieved 26 January 2018.
- "The Voice UK coaches left in awe by 16-year-old pianist". Radiotimes. Retrieved 27 January 2018.
- "Who is Gayatri Nair?". The Sun. Retrieved 26 January 2018.
- "Watch out Mozart". Dulwich OnView. Retrieved 24 April 2012.
- "Kumon Student wins top scholarship". Kumon, UK. Archived from the original on 4 February 2018. Retrieved 22 April 2012.
- "Gayatri Nair features in The Voice 2018 - and the singer is a star in her own right". The Sun. 2018-03-17. Retrieved 2018-03-28.
- "Pupil hits the right note". Southwark News, page 5. 1 March 2012.
- "Choir Girl wins top Scholarship". The Piligrim, front page. 1 April 2012.
- "Nickelodeon TV". Nickelodeon TV. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- "Youngster's music video attracts over 125,000 hits". Watford Observer. Retrieved 2018-03-28.
- "The Voice UK on Twitter". Retrieved January 27, 2018.
- on YouTube
- "Gayatri Nair stuns coaches with her blind audition". Tellymix. Retrieved 27 January 2018.
- "The Voice UK's Gayatri Nair has Jennifer Hudson in tears with Greatest Showman cover". DigitalSpy. Retrieved 17 March 2018.
- Shelley, Jim (17 March 2018). "Girl Power! Lucy Milburn, Gayatria Nair, Lauren Bannon, and Tai blew their male competitors offstage on the first Knockout Round of The Voice UK". Daily Mail. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
[edit | edit source]
This article "Gayatri Nair" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Gayatri Nair. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.