General Board of Higher Education and Ministry
|General Board of Higher Education and Ministry (GBHEM)|
|Type||Agency of the United Methodist Church|
|General Secretary||Rev. Dr. Kim Cape|
The General Board of Higher Education and Ministry (GBHEM) is one of 13 international agencies, boards and commissions of The United Methodist Church. The organization was originally established as the Board of Education in 1866. It serves in a leadership development capacity for The United Methodist Church. GBHEM provides programs, events and resources for United Methodist lay (lay leader) and clergy leaders.
In the early 1800s, several denominations in America created educational opportunities for church leadership, emerging clergy, and Christian education in general. In 1866, as a part of 100 years of Methodism in the United States, Methodists created a Board of Education. In addition to the mandate for a Board of Education, in 1866 the Freedmen's Aid Society emerged to care for those who had been enslaved.
The Division of Higher Education at GBHEM has an advisory and consultative relationship to all United Methodist-affiliated institutions, including universities, colleges, secondary and special schools, Wesley Foundations and other collegiate ministries, conference boards, and similar organizations. The division develops and implements programs and practices that enable The United Methodist Church to engage, maintain and expand Methodist education around the world.
The Division of Ordained Ministry at GBHEM supports the lay (lay leader) and clergy leaders of The United Methodist Church. Through the division, United Methodist leaders are provided education, training and resources to serve the church.
Loans and Scholarships
The GBHEM loan and scholarship programs are a service of the United Methodist Church to supplement the financial needs of students. These programs are funded through church offerings, wills, annuities and designated gifts.
The Office of Global Education and New Initiatives coordinates GBHEM’s global activities, working with partners worldwide to enhance and support education opportunities. The agency supports 11 international associations across 80 countries.
Other articles of the topic Christianity : Tai Po Sam Yuk Secondary School, Mike Schmitz, Orthodox Syrian Sunday School Association of the East, Autocephaly, Bulgarian Orthodox Church, Full communion, Dean Burgon Society
Other articles of the topic Methodism : Pattie W. Van Hook, Thomas Hickman (Louisiana politician), John Calhoun Brown, Cyril Bavin
Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "".Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "".
- United Methodist Church
- Protestantism in the United States
- Conferences of the United Methodist Church
- Confessing Movement within The United Methodist Church
- Reconciling Ministries Network of The United Methodist Church
- List of Methodist churches
- Category:Methodist churches
- Category:Methodist organizations
- Category:Universities and colleges affiliated with the United Methodist Church
- Reflections on General Conference and the Path Forward Accessed 27 February 2018 • Nashville, TN
- 1866 - Board of Education Accessed 28 February 2018 • Nashville, TN
- Black College Fund Continues Work of Freedmen’s Aid Society Accessed 21 March 2018 • Nashville, TN
- BCF Purpose Accessed 21 March 2018 • Nashville, TN
- BCF Schools Accessed 12 March 2018 • Nashville, TN
- Registry in Ministry Guidelines Accessed 2 March 2018 • Nashville, TN
- Loans and Scholarships Accessed 1 March 2018 • Nashville, TN
- 1991 - IAMSCU Accessed 27 February 2018 • Nashville, TN
- 11 Associations Accessed 1 March 2018 • Nashville, TN
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to United Methodist churches.|
This article "General Board of Higher Education and Ministry" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:General Board of Higher Education and Ministry. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.