George Street Co-op
|File:George Street Co-op Logo.svg|
|Headquarters 🏙️||, |
New Brunswick, New Jersey,
Area served 🗺️
|Products 📟||Organic food|
Number of employees
The George Street Co-op is a food cooperative located in New Brunswick, New Jersey. The George Street Co-op runs a retail store at 89 Morris Street, selling foods and select hygiene and household products to the general public and to its membership. The Co-op, as it is known to its members, maintains a focus on offering vegetarian, organic, local food, naturally grown and fair trade products. This focus on vegetarian fare extends to The Namaste Cafe upstairs. The space upstairs also serves as a community space for everything from yoga classes to comedy shows.
The George Street Co-op was formed in 1973 when ten people from the Rutgers Vegetarian Club started a buying club out of a garage near George Street in New Brunswick. A year later, the Co-op moved to a new building on George Street and opened a small retail store. In May 1988 the George Street Co-op purchased and moved into a new building at 89 Morris Street.
- Giampietro, Paolo. The Vegan Times. The Daily Targum. 14 April 2004.
- Heyman, Lois. Demand for organic food on the rise in Central Jersey. My Central Jersey. 1 March 2009.
- Jacyntha Crawley. The Interntional Raw Food Restaurant Guide. Search this book on
- Genovese, Peter (July 25, 2008). "The Munchmobile goes on a health kick". NJ.com.
- Parker, Reginald (December 8, 2015). "Comedy Shows Abound This December in New Brunswick". New Brunswick Today.
- Desmond Klingler (2015), 21st Century Homestead: Organic Food, pp. 32–33, ISBN 9781312937598
- Peter Genovese (2012), Food Lovers' Guide to New Jersey, Rowman & Littlefield, p. 118, ISBN 9780762788941
This article "George Street Co-op" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.