Guilty Giraffe at the 2018 North Jersey Indie Rock Festival.
|Origin||Yonkers, New York, U.S.|
|Genres||Rock, post-hardcore, shoegaze|
|Labels||Mint 400 Records|
Guilty Giraffe are an American rock band that is from New York.
Guilty Giraffe started as a rock duo from Yonkers, New York that formed in 2015. Both members were self-taught musicians. They self-produced and released their debut album A Time to Slime in December 2015. Jocelyn Huggler of The Deli describes it as "grimy energetic tunes [that] show a confident hand." In a positive review in New York, columnist Nicole Disser calls the album "crashing chaos washed over with a kind of calm [...] leaving the noise to recede off into the distance," and adds "these are but brief intervals, I'll admit, but in that time Guilty Giraffe achieves something close to serenity." They have been classified as post-hardcore and shoegaze, and draw comparison to bands like the White Stripes, Nirvana and Fugazi. Guilty Giraffe made The A.V. Club's 2017 Year In Band Names list. In 2017, they signed to the independent record label Mint 400 Records.
Mint 400 Records
Their second album, Server Error. was released with Mint 400 Records on 9 May 2017. In a Pirate! press release, the album is described as "stoner grooves of an almost sped up Black Sabbath [that] will be sure to grab ahold of any music aficionados." Will Vellek joined Guilty Giraffe in the Winter of 2018 on bass, and they played as a three-piece for a while, until Reis quit Guilty Giraffe in Spring of 2018 to follow other musical endeavors. Guilty Giraffe rebuilt the line-up, adding Kevin Knebel on drums, and Shane Sumano on bass. For the Mint 400 Records compilation NJ / NY Mixtape, which features artists that performed at 2018 North Jersey Indie Rock Festival, Guilty Giraffe contributed the song "Off Ripped." They also released their third album Filtered in 2018, which was entirely recorded by Felipe Reis and Mat Mcginnis years prior.
Reis composes electronic music under the name Árvore.
- Mathew McGinnis – vocals and guitar (2015–present)
- Will Vellek – bass (2018) and guitar (2018–present)
- Shane Sumano – bass (2018–present)
- Kevin Knebel – drums (2018–present)
- Former members
- Felipe Reis – drums (2015–2018)
- A Time To Slime (2015)
- Server Error (2017)
- Filtered (2018)
- "Washed Out" (2017)
- "Hungry Cats" (2018)
- "Off Ripped" (2018)
- "Filter" (2018)
- Appearing on
- NJ / NY Mixtape (2018)
- Arlene's Grocery Staff (3 May 2017), "Guilty Giraffe", Arlene's Grocery, retrieved 7 January 2019
- Disser, Nicole (27 December 2018). "Week in Shows: Fresh Newgaze, Disco Misnomers, and Phish Swims Up Livestream". Bedford and Bowery. New York. Retrieved 7 January 2018.
- Huggler, Jocelyn (21 December 2016), "Guilty Giraffe", The Deli, retrieved 7 January 2019
- Makin, Bob (13 September 2018), "Makin Waves Scene Report with Central Jersey Jazz Festival, Indian Summer festival, Ancient Babies & More", The Aquarian Weekly, retrieved 7 January 2018
- New Jersey Stage Staff (19 September 2018), "3rd Annual North Jersey Indie Rock Festival", New Jersey Stage, retrieved 7 January 2019
- Pirate! Staff (9 May 2017), "Guilty Giraffe Server Error", Pirate!, retrieved 7 January 2019
- Ryan, Kyle (5 December 2017), "The Year in Band Names", The A.V. Club, retrieved 7 January 2019
- Guilty Giraffe on Bandcamp