- All changes made and all promotional sources removed with the exception of one social media source as the certified gold list hasn't been updated by Music Canada yet but will change this once done. TwinTurbo (talk) 21:53, 26 January 2021 (UTC)-
|Birth name||Dimarjio Antonio Jenkins|
|Also known as||DaHoudini|
|Born||July 23, 1998|
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|Died||May 26, 2020 (aged 21)|
|Genres||Canadian hip hop|
Dimarjio Antonion Jenkins (July 23, 1998 - May 26, 2020), better known by his stage name Houdini, was a Canadian rapper from Toronto, Ontario. He first gained recognition from his certified gold single "Late Nights" which contained vocal features from Burna Bandz and was released in 2017. This was followed by the singles "Myself" and "Backseats". He is also known for his frequent collaborations with fellow rappers Pressa, Robin Banks and NorthSideBenji, which includes the latter's certified gold single "Levels" which saw a feature from Houdini. He released his debut mixtape Hou I Am on February 13, 2019. His sophomore mixtape Hou Woulda Thought followed on August 2, 2019. His debut ep underGROUND was released on March 18, 2020. This would be his last release during his lifetime as he was shot and killed on May 26, 2020.
Jenkins started his career in 2016, taking on the stage name "DaHoudini", (he adopted the simpler "Houdini" stage name in 2018). He began to release various freestyles through social platforms. He gained recognition having featured on the single 456 alongside TallupTwinz and Burna Bandz released on August 17, 2017. Canadian rapper Robin Banks founded UpTop Movement Inc. in the same year, a record label based in Toronto. The record label showcases young and upcoming artists from the North-West end of Toronto and signed Houdini to the label.
Houdini released the single Late Nights featuring Burna Bandz on May 8, 2018. The music video amassed millions of views within a month of being released.
On April 1st 2018, Houdini and fellow associates such as Burna Bandz, Pressa, Robin Banks and other UpTop Movement artist. Dropped a joint mixtape featuring 27 songs titled Northside Jane including "Late Nights", "One of Mines" and "No Favours" which combined have just under 10 million views on YouTube.
Houdini released his debut mixtape Hou I Am on February 13, 2019. The mixtape featured guest appearances from NorthSideBenji, Burna Bandz, Tallup Twinz, Pressa, and J Neat. The album peaked at 27 on the Canadian Independent Music Charts. Houdini was featured on NorthSideBenji's single "Levels", which was certified gold by Music Canada on April 7, 2020. On April 18, 2019, Houdini released an acoustic version of his single Myself with viral ukulele player Einer Bankz.
His second mixtape, Who Woulda Thought was released on August 2, 2019. It was supported by the singles; "Freak", "Kenzo", "Belmont Boyz" and "Ain’t Gon' Cap" and the album lists no featured guests, unlike the previous mixtape. Both mixtapes were released independently via Create Music Group.
His third release, a five-track EP titled underGROUND which released on March 18, 2020. It was the last studio album Houdini dropped while alive. The debut EP was supported by the singles "Big Time" and "Fantastic". In April 2020, 6ixBuzz announced a joint-venture record deal with Warner Music Canada, coinciding with the release of the single "VV's" featuring Killy and Houdini.
The first posthumous release by the late artist was on the single "Mansion" alongside Pressa, it was released July 17, 2020, and is said to be on 6ixBuzz's upcoming compilation album Canada's Most Wanted. On January 8, 2021, Pressa released a graphic on Instagram stating that "Mansion" was certified gold by Music Canada, and was nominated for the Rap Recording of the Year Juno Award 2021.
Houdini's single "Late Nights" was certified gold posthumously by Music Canada on January 12, 2021.
Jenkins was shot and killed on May 26, 2020, whilst shopping in Downtown Toronto. A 15-year-old boy and a 27-year-old woman were also injured in the incident but were expected to recover after gunfire emitted around 4 pm outside the Bisha Hotel in Toronto’s Entertainment District. Jenkins was rushed to the hospital, however, was pronounced dead at the hospital. The following day, Toronto Police released the shooting footage and said that Jenkins was targeted in an orchestrated "gang attack". Rappers and associates including NorthSideBenji, Pressa, Killy, Tory Lanez and Meek Mill paid tribute to the artist. A warrant was issued for Eleijah Robinson on May 30, 2020, in connection to the murder.
Funeral shooting incident
On June 8, 2020, a funeral service for Jenkins was held in Mississauga early in the day. The following day on June 9, a vigil was held for the fallen rapper. During the vigil, gunfire erupted behind the Blaxx Restaurant and Dive Bar, located on Beverly Hills Drive. A dark-coloured sedan pulled over before occupants got out of the vehicle and opened fire at the crowd gathered outside. Gaddiel O’Neil Ledinek, better known by his stage name GD, and Traequan Mahoney, known by his stage name Burna Bandz, retaliated in the gunfire and were subsequently faced with gun charge offences.
- 2020: underGROUND
- 2019: Hou I Am
- 2019: Hou Woulda Thought
Appearance on compilation albums
- 2018: 6ixUpsideDown
- 2019: NorthernSound
- 2021: Canada's Most Wanted
- 2019: Northside Jane (by Uptop Movement)
As primary artist
- 2017: "Late Nights" (with Burna Bandz)
- 2019: "Myself"
- 2019: "Backseats" (feat. J Neat)
As featured artist
- 2019: "Levels" (NorthSideBenji feat. Houdini)
- 2020: "Mansion" (Pressa feat. Houdini)
- "Exclusive Interview With Up-And-Coming Rapper – Houdini". July 20, 2018.
- "Houdini on New EP 'underGROUND,' COVID-19, & His Tory Lanez Collab". Complex.
- "UpTop Movement releases the 27-track Northside Jane". HipHopCanada. April 17, 2018.
- "Hou I Am: Toronto artist Houdini releases new project". HipHopCanada. February 16, 2019.
- "To Thine Own Self Be True ft WhyG X Burna Bandz & Houdini- S&M w/ JellyTooFly G-Host Melizia E109". February 7, 2019.
- "CIMA 40 | Canadian Independent Music Association". cimamusic.ca.
- "NorthSideBenji Reaches New "Levels" with His Latest Music Video". Complex.
- "Gold/Platinum". Music Canada. Search artist: "Houdini". Retrieved January 26, 2021.
- "Watch Canadian rapper Houdini perform an acoustic version of "Myself" with Einer Bankz". GRM Daily - Grime, Rap music and Culture.
- "Toronto Artist Houdini Drops "HOU I AM" Project". February 22, 2019.
- "Song of the Day: Houdini enlists Sadatr to direct "Freak"". HipHopCanada. September 22, 2019.
- "Toronto Rapper Houdini Releases "Kenzo" Video". October 20, 2019.
- "HOUDINI/Create Music Group". www.traxsource.com.
- "KILLY & Houdini Connect for Splashy New Single "VV's"". Complex.
- "Hip Hop: KILLY x Houdini – "VV's" video premiere, two of Canada's brightest young talents". April 10, 2020.
- "Toronto's Houdini and Pressa Collide on "Mansion"". exclaim.ca.
- @pressa.armani (January 8, 2021). "Long Live Houdini. Appreciate the fans. Mansions is certified gold, let's try to win that Juno Award." 🇨🇦🖤🇨🇦". Retrieved January 26, 2021 – via Instagram.
- "Toronto rapper Houdini shot dead at 21". Global News.
- Goodfield, Kayla (May 28, 2020). "Six-year-old boy 'in line of gunfire' as Toronto rapper Houdini killed on downtown sidewalk". Toronto.
- Ritchie, Kevin (May 28, 2020). "Police release dramatic footage of shoot out that killed Toronto rapper Houdini".
- "Dramatic videos show moments leading up to shooting death of Toronto rap artist Houdini". Global News.
- "A Warrant Is Out For A Boy Involved In Houdini's Murder & He's 'Armed & Dangerous'". www.narcity.com. June 1, 2020.
- Média, Bell. "Police identify teen suspect who allegedly returned fire during deadly downtown shooting". www.iheartradio.ca.
Script error: No such module "AfC submission catcheck".
This article "Houdini (rapper)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Houdini (rapper). Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.