|📅 Released||2 December 2016|
|Studio||Lakehouse Studio Recordings, Asbury Park, New Jersey|
|🤑 Producer||Jon Leidersdorff|
|Deal Casino chronology|
Human Cannonball is the fifth studio EP from the American rock band Deal Casino.
The three-track EP was self-released on compact disc and digital download, on 2 December 2016. It was produced by Jon Leidersdorff and recorded at Lakehouse Recording Studios in Asbury Park, New Jersey, with engineering by Erik Kase Romero, and mixing by Timothy Pannella. On the recording for Human Cannonball, Joe P. explains that "we wanted to challenge ourselves to do this and not add any additional layers that we can't play live." The EP is described as a "minimalist approach for an epic sound," with elements of alternative rock, pop rock and blues. Deal Casino cites musical influences for the EP as the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Tame Impala, and LCD Soundsystem. Human Cannonball draws comparison to the music of Jellyfish, Blink 182, and the Beatles.
The song "Purple" is about someone finding their identity, by moving to the city, trying on perfumes, and dying their hair. Cowell elaborates that the context of the color purple can be associated with "spring time or happiness, but also, based on how you look at it, it could be a morose color." The music video for the song "Human Cannonball" was filmed by Anthony Yebra, and Austin Hein Productions, and edited by Anthony Yebra. It contains slow motion footage of the patrons at the night club Porta, in Asbury Park, New Jersey, during a busy weekend night.
A review by Phil Sheppard in Speak Into My Good Eye, for the song "Human Cannonball" says, he was "a bit confused towards the direction they were embarking upon. The live energy was still high in abundance but the arrangements were a bit more subdued than we were used to hearing [however, the song] retain[s] the passion and edginess that the guys have become known for." The song is described as having "tweaked guitar riffs and chords [that] lead into heavy, mid-tempo rhythm section work and the infectious vocals of Joe Parella," by The Aquarian Weekly. They call their favorite song on the EP "Purple," and compliment Jozii's guitar work, saying "his fiery approach and tone are the perfect accompaniment for this arrangement."
- Curry, Laura (15 September 2017), "Started From the Bottom, Now They Here: Deal Casino Talk About Their Journey to Creating Their First Full Length", The Pop Break, retrieved 15 April 2019
- Jordan, Chris (2 December 2016), "The skinny on Deal Casino and their new 'La La Land'", Asbury Park Press, retrieved 15 April 2019
- New Jersey Stage Staff (22 December 2016), "Featured Music Video: "Human Cannonball" by Deal Casino", New Jersey Stage, retrieved 15 April 2019
- Pfeiffer, John (25 January 2017), "Shoreworld: Deal Casino – Human Cannonball EP", The Aquarian Weekly, retrieved 15 April 2019
- Sheppard, Phil (2 December 2016), "Deal Casino Release 3 Song EP, Human Cannonball // Watch The Video For Title Track", Speak Into My Good Eye, retrieved 15 April 2019
- WHIRL Staff (2016), "Deal Casino", WHIRL, retrieved 15 April 2019