Speak Into My Good Eye
Type of site
|Music news and reviews|
|Founded||2012 in Asbury Park, New Jersey and Brooklyn, New York|
Speak Into My Good Eye is an American independent music website based in Brooklyn, New York and Asbury Park, New Jersey.
Chris Rotolo graduated from The College of New Jersey in 2011, and began his professional career working for the Asbury Park Press in the Sports and Arts & Entertainment departments. He is also a contributor for the music review website Consequence of Sound. In 2012, Roloto founded Speak Into My Good Eye. The website features music news, album reviews, live reviews and interviews, and also compiles Top Local Releases. Speak Into My Good Eye received several Asbury Park Music Awards' for Top Music Website. It shares hosting duties along with Jersey Beat, the radio station WFDU and The Pop Break for the North Jersey Indie Rock Festival, by introducing acts and commenting on New Jersey's burgeoning music scene.
Contributors for Speak Into My Good Eye include Briane Addison, Jim Appio, writer of CoolDad Music, Justin Bieggar, Chelsea Conte, Catherine Dempsey, Nicole Gifford, David Haynes, Drew Kaufman, Emily Klingman, Ryan McGrath, Michael Mehalick, who also writes for Impose, Brielle Schiavone, Juliana Todeschi, Nate Voss and Scarlett Ziemba.
Good Eye Records
Good Eye Records was founded in 2014 by Mike Mehalick, and the first release was Dentist. That year, they also released a Queens of the Stone Age tribute album, and in 2017 they released I'll Be Around: A Tribute to Wilco to benefit The Project Matters, a New Jersey nonprofit that works to further the creation of music with an emphasis on aspiring musicians.
24 Hour Songwriting Challenge
In 2014, Speak Into My Good Eye conducted the first annual 24 Hour Songwriting Challenge, which features regional acts from New Jersey that are given twenty-four hours to record a song. All proceeds from the compilations benefit the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Some contributors throughout the years include Julian Fulton, the Clydes, Deal Casino, the Vaughns, Fun While You Wait, Foxanne, the Porchistas, Fairmont, C.R. and the Degenerates, Fortune Yeller, the Maravines and Jim Testa. On recording for the third compilation, group Slonk Donkerson notes "we can be extremely meticulous with our work, so it was almost a relief to have the deadline. Though it is our latest composition, "Cassanova's at it Again" actually serves pretty well as a bridge between our earlier hard-rocking work, and our forthcoming, poppier, synth-heavier songs."
The Fourth Annual 24 Hour Songwriting Challenge features comedian Jon Stewart, who plays drums on the song "Catastrophes" by No Wine For Kittens. The song is described by Stereogum columnist Tom Breihan as "sound[ing] like Snow Patrol; it’s pretty-enough melodic indie with some harmony singing. And the drumming is perfectly competent."
- Dentist (2014) by Dentist
- Covers Volume I: Queens of the Stone Age (2014)
- First Annual 24 Hour Songwriting Challenge (2014)
- Second Annual 24 Hour Songwriting Challenge (2015)
- Great Headless Blank (2015) by Makeunder
- Third Annual 24 Hour Songwriting Challenge (2016)
- I'll Be Around: A Tribute to Wilco (2017)
- Down on Sunset Strip (2017) by Lunch Ladies
- Life After (2017) by Hoeksema
- Fourth Annual 24 Hour Songwriting Challenge (2017)
- Aquarium (2018) by Harms
- Silver Stuff (2018) by Darkwing
- Penance (2018) by Russian Baths
- Modern Man (2018) by Andy Cook
- Plymouth (2018) by Language
- The Rareflowers (2018) by the Rareflowers
- Light Goes (2018) by Parrot Dream
- Dinner Dates for the End of Days (2018) by Scarves
- Cathedral Bells (2019) by Cathedral Bells
- The Way Up (2019) by Looms
- Now is the Time for Loving Me, Yourself & Everyone Else (2019) by Carriers
- Breihan, Tom (9 November 2017), "Jon Stewart Drums On Defunct NJ Band's New Charity Single", Stereogum, retrieved 4 January 2019
- Helman, Peter (25 October 2016), "Slonk Donkerson–"Cassanova's At It Again"", Stereogum, retrieved 4 January 2019
- Makin, Bob (4 May 2017a), "Makin Waves with Vini Lopez and Paul Whistler of Dawg Whistle", New Jersey Stage, retrieved 4 January 2019
- Makin, Bob (19 October 2017b), "Makin Waves Scene Report with The Silverhounds, Trenton Punk Rock Flea Market, Don Giovanni Records, The Front Bottoms, hurricane relief and more", New Jersey Stage, retrieved 4 January 2019
- Music News Staff (2 August 2017), "YJY Turns Out A Surf-Pop Jam With "Through Being Hip"", Elmore Magazine, retrieved 4 January 2016
- Speak Into My Good Eye Staff (2014), "About", Speak Into My Good Eye, retrieved 4 January 2018
- Rotolo, Chris (2012), "SIMGE Held Its First And Hopefully Annual Holiday Party At The Saint", Speak Into My Good Eye, retrieved 4 January 2019
- Tenreyro, Tatiana (15 November 2017), "Jon Stewart Makes Surprise Appearance Drumming on 'Late Night With Seth Meyers'", Billboard, retrieved 4 January 2019
- Testa, Jim (3 October 2018), "North Jersey Indie Rock Fest unites bands, media, labels -- and fans", The Jersey Journal, retrieved 4 January 2019