INX Media case against P. Chidambaram
Lua error in Module:Effective_protection_level at line 60: attempt to index field 'TitleBlacklist' (a nil value). The INX Media case refers to an ongoing hi-profile money laundering investigation in India alleging irregularities in the Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) clearances given to INX group for receiving overseas funds in 2007 at a time when P. Chidambaram was union finance minister.
According to The Hindu, the FIPB gave clearance to the company for Rs. 4.62 crore for foreign direct investment. The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has alleged that the company received funds of Rs. 305 crore against this approval of 4.62 crore. According to several other newspapers, the CBI allegation is rather that Rs. 305 crore worth of "clearances" were given to INX Media and, further, that kickbacks were received by the former finance minister's son, Karti Chidambaram.[clarification needed]
As of August 2019, there were no reports of charges filed against P. Chidambaram. The CBI is reported to be conducting a "probe".
In 2017, the Enforcement Directorate had filed a case against P. Chidambaram's son Karti Chidambaram, INX Media and its directors, Peter Mukerjea and Indrani Mukerjea and a few others for money laundering. In 2018 Karti Chidambaram was arrested by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) later released on bail. In October 2017, P Chidambaram conveyed to the Supreme Court of India that the case is a "politically-motivated vendetta" against him and his son. In 2018, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) seized assets of Karti Chidambaram worth Rs 54 crore, including properties in New Delhi, Ooty, United Kingdom and Barcelona in relation to the INX Media case.
Arrest of P. Chidambaram
P. Chidambaram, former Union Minister of Finance went missing after the CBI and ED issued a notice to appear before them. He appeared around 24 hours later at the Congress Party headquarters and made a statement to the press that he has "not committed any offence in INX Media case" and "will respect the law". His plea for an anticipatory bail in INX Media case was dismissed by the Delhi High Court on 20 August 2019. The CBI arrested him at his house the next day, in a sequence of events described as "dramatic" by the media. After being denied entry at the main gate of his house, some CBI agents reportedly entered the compound through the back gate and others by "scaling the walls". Eventually they were allowed into the house and the arrest was carried out.
The Times of India commented that the arrest marked "a significant point in the ever-escalating fight between the opposition party [Congress] and BJP".
- "Explained: What is INX Media case against P Chidambaram?". The Indian Express. 2019-08-21. Retrieved 2019-08-21.
- "INX Media case: How Chidambaram got into trouble - A Timeline". The Economic Times. 2019-08-21. Retrieved 2019-08-21.
- "What is INX Media case; a look at the genesis of P Chidambaram and son Karti's misfortunes". Business Today. 21 August 2019. Retrieved 2019-08-21.
- INX Media case: a timeline of events, The Hindu, 21 August 2019.
- "India's former finance minister arrested". BBC. 2019-08-21. Retrieved 2019-08-22.
- "What the INX Media case: All you need to know | India News - Times of India". The Times of India. 21 August 2019. Retrieved 2019-08-22.
- "What is INX Media case; a look at the genesis of P Chidambaram and son Karti's misfortunes". Business Today. 21 August 2019. Retrieved 2019-08-22.
- Mishra, Arvind (21 August 2019). "INX Media case: Timeline of scam that has CBI, ED looking for P Chidambaram". India Today. Retrieved 2019-08-22.
- PTI (12 October 2018). "INX Media PMLA case: ED attaches Karti's assets worth Rs 54 crore in India, UK & Spain". The Times of India. Retrieved 2019-08-22.
- Mahapatra, Dhananjay; Garg, Abhinav (21 August 2019). "P Chidambaram goes missing after HC refuses to give anticipatory bail". The Times of India. Retrieved 2019-08-21.
- Achom, Debanish (21 August 2019). ""Under What Law?": P Chidambaram's Lawyer To CBI On 2-Hour Notice". NDTV. Retrieved 2019-08-21.
- Sanyal, Anindita (21 August 2019). "Hope Lamp Of Liberty Will Shine Bright, Says P Chidambaram, Facing Arrest". NDTV. Retrieved 2019-08-21.
- Pandey, Munish Chandra (21 August 2019). "How P Chidambaram managed to hide from CBI, ED who were knocking at his door". India Today. Retrieved 2019-08-21.
- "Chidambaram appears at Congress HQ, says 'have not committed any offence in INX Media case'". The Times of India. 21 August 2019. Retrieved 2019-08-21.
- "Chidambaram appears at AICC, says will respect law". Asian News International. 21 August 2019. Retrieved 2019-08-21.
- "INX media case: Delhi HC dismisses anticipatory bail plea of P Chidambaram". The Economic Times. August 20, 2019.
- Tiwari, Vaibhav (22 August 2019). "The Dramatic Arrest Of P Chidambaram: CBI Climbed Walls Of His Home". NDTV. Retrieved 2019-08-22.
- Chidambaram arrested after day-long drama in SC, Congress HQ, The Times of India, 22 August 2019.
|This article about the law of India is a stub. You can help EverybodyWiki by expanding it.|
This article "INX Media case against P. Chidambaram" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:INX Media case against P. Chidambaram. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.