Infant Jesus School, Kollam
|Infant Jesus Anglo-Indian Higher Secondary School, Tangasseri, Kollam|
Tangasseri, Kollam , Kerala
|Motto||Ora et labora|
|Patron saint(s)||Bishop of Kollam|
|Principal||Rev. Fr. Silvie Antony classes_offered = LKG to Standard XII|
|Medium of language||English|
|Campus size||6 acres (24,000 m2)|
The Infant Jesus Anglo Indian Higher Secondary School, Kollam is an educational institution affiliated to CISCE based in Kollam city in the south Indian state of Kerala. It was established in 1940 by Jerome M. Fernandez, the Bishop of Kollam. The school is situated in Tangasseri, which was a stronghold of western culture with a historical background of ancient Portuguese, Dutch and English settlements. The school was founded primarily to cater to the education of the Anglo Indian Community, the then predominant community of the region.
It was started by the Anglo Indian community (people who remained when the British left India) to educate their children. It was later opened to the public in and around Kollam.
The Infant Jesus Anglo-Indian Boys School was started to educate the Anglo-Indian boys in the locality; the girls were educated at the Mount Carmel Convent Anglo-Indian Girls High School in Tangasseri itself, opposite to IJHS. Bishop Jerome M Fernandez inaugurated the school, offering a Holy Mass at the nearby Infant Jesus Pro-Cathedral (elevated as Cathedral on 3 December 2005) on 8 January 1940. At first there were 15 students and two staff members, which eventually increased to about 3,500 students and 110 staff members. Mrs. Mary Netto was the first principal.
The school started out as a boys school which changed in the late 1900s. By 2004 the school was open to both boys and girls.
- Jiffy Shams, Entrepreneur, UAE
- Jithesh John IES
- Syam Sundar IPS
- Suresh Babu - Olympic athlete
- Alphonse Earayil - former DGP of Kerala
- Eugene Pandala - Architect known for building with environmental sustainability
- Suresh Gopi - National Award winning actor & rajyasabha MP
- Mukesh - Actor and Kollam MLA
- Ignatius Pereira (author and Journalist-retired from The Hindu)
- Dr. K.M. Abraham IAS (Retired Chief Secretary-Kerala)
- Mohan Sivanand - former Editor-in-Chief of Reader's Digest India
- Sunny Varkey - recipient of Padma Shree, the world`s largest provider of private education
"PRODUCING INTELLECTUAL ELITES BY PROVIDING JOYFUL LEARNING EXPERIENCE". 24 July 2015.</ref>
- Sajiv K. Menon, Managing Director, Nitta Gelatin India Limited
The principals of the Infant Jesus school:
- Mrs. Maryan Netto - Headmistress 1940
- Fr. Mathew Fabian - 1941-1955
- Fr. Gracian Fernandez - 1955-1958
- Fr. Stephen S. Gomez - 1958-1963
- Fr. Elias Lopez - 1963–1966
- Miss Mary J. Camoens - 1958, 1966–1967
- Fr. Thomas Thundiyil - 1968-1970
- Fr. A. Varghese - 1974-1975
- Rt. Rev. Msgr. Dr. Ferdinand Kayavil - 1975-2005
- Rev Sr Estelle Vas - 2005-2010
- Rev. Fr. Silvie Antony - 2010-2018
- Mrs. Dona Joy - 2018-2019
- Rev. Dr. Silvie Antony - 2019-
Other articles of the topic Schools : Hong Kong Adventist Academy, Mater Spei College, Tarsus American College, European International School Chennai, Lycée Français de Luanda, Clifton College (Botswana), Harehuwa school
Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "".Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "".
- Kerr, Simeon. "School rooms for everyone". Financial Times. 18 June 2013.
- Official website of Infant Jesus
- IJHS Online alumni discussion and networking forum - since 1998
- Diocese of Quilon
This article "Infant Jesus School, Kollam" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Infant Jesus School, Kollam. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.