Irina Nenciu is a Romanian citizen and mathematician born in Bucharest, Romania on November 9, 1978. She is an associate professor of mathematics at the University of Illinois at Chicago and has overseen undergraduate and graduate students' research. She is also a researcher for the Institute of Mathematics of the Romanian Academy in Bucharest and researches integrable systems, random matrices, and orthogonal polynomials. She is married to Christof Sparber, who is also a professor of mathematics at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
Nenciu earned her B.S. in Mathematics from the University of Bucharest, Romania in 2001 under the advising of Professor Viorel Iftimie. Her undergraduate thesis is titled Semiclassical asymptotics of spectra of second order elliptic differential operators. Following this, she earned her Ph.D. in Mathematics from the California Institute of Technology in 2005 under the advising of Professor Barry Simon. Her graduate thesis is titled Lax Pairs for the Ablowitz-Ladik system via orthogonal polynomials on the unit circle.
Currently Nenciu is an associate professor of mathematics at the University of Illinois at Chicago and a researcher for the Institute of Mathematics of the Romanian Academy in Bucharest. She was previously a member of the Institute of Advanced Study at Princeton in 2006 and an instructor at the Courant Institute at New York University from 2005-2008.
Publications and Collaborations
- (with F. Gestesy, M. Mitrea, G. Teschl) Decoupling of deficiency indices and applications to Schrödinger-type operators with possibly strongly singular potentials, Adv. Math 301 (2016), 1022-1061.
- (with D. Bilman) On the evolution of scattering data under perturbations of the Today lattice, Phys. D 330 (2016), 1-16.
- (with L.-C. Li) The periodic defocusing Ablowitz-Ladik equation and the geometry of Floquet CMV matrices, Adv. Math 231 (2012), 3330-3388.
- (with G. Nenciu) On the self-adjointness for magnetic Schrödinger and Pauli operators on bounded domains in , Lett. Math. Phys. 98 (2011), 207-223.
- (with G. Nenciu) On confining potentials and essential self-adjointness for Schrödinger operators on bounded domains in , Ann. Henri Poincaré 10 (2009), 377-394.
- (with M. Gekhtman) Multi-Hamiltonian structures for defocusing Ablowitz-Ladik system, Comm. Pure Appl. Math. 62 (2009), 147-182.
- A note on circular trace formulae, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 136 (2008), 2785-2792.
- (with R. Killip) CMV: the unitary analogue of Jacobi matrices, Comm. Pure Appl. Math. 60 (2007), 1148-1188.
- Lax Pairs for the Ablowitz-Ladik system via orthogonal polynomials on the unit circle, Int. Math. Res. Not. 11 (2005), 647-686.
Services in the Math Community
In her career, Nenciu has served as a member of the University of Illinois senate from 2016-2019. She was also an organizer for the SIAM Conference on Nonlinear Waves and Coherent Structures in Philadelphia on August 8-11, 2016. Nenciu spoke at several international meetings, including the Joint Analysis and Probability Seminar at the University of Wisconsin in 2016 and at the 8th Congress of Romanian Mathematics at Iasi, Romania in 2015, as well as the Midwest Women in Mathematics Symposium at the University of Illinois at Chicago in 2013.
Awards and Honors
Nenciu won the UIC Teaching Recognition Program award in 2016 for her documented teaching excellence over the course of three years. While in her graduate program at the California Institute of Technology she was awarded three Scott Russell Johnson prizes: for excellence in first year graduate studies in 2002, for excellence in graduate research and teaching in 2004, and for excellence in graduate research and teaching in 2005. From these awards she was also named a Scott Russell Johnson fellow. She has also been awarded four grants from the National Science Foundation for her research work in mathematics from 2007 to 2018.
- Nenciu, Irina. "Irina Nenciu Curriculum Vitae" (PDF). UIC Math Department. Retrieved February 5, 2020. Unknown parameter
- Nenciu, Irina. "Irina Nenciu Citations". Google Scholar. Retrieved February 5, 2020. Unknown parameter
- "Christof Sparber". homepages.math.uic.edu. Retrieved 2020-02-06.
- "Publication List". www.math.uic.edu. Retrieved 2020-02-06.
- "SIAM: SIAM Conference on Nonlinear Waves and Coherent Structures (NWCS16)". archive.siam.org. Retrieved 2020-02-07.
- "Past Probability Seminars Spring 2016 - UW-Math Wiki". www.math.wisc.edu. Retrieved 2020-02-07.
- "The Eighth Congress of Romanian Mathematicians". www.math.uaic.ro. Retrieved 2020-02-07.
- "Midwest WIMS 2013". homepages.math.uic.edu. Retrieved 2020-02-07.
- "Box". uofi.app.box.com. Retrieved 2020-02-07.
- "Teaching Recognition Program | Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs | University of Illinois at Chicago". faculty.uic.edu. Retrieved 2020-02-07.
- "Scott Russell Johnson Achievement Award Winners | The Division of Physics, Mathematics and Astronomy". pma.divisions.caltech.edu. Retrieved 2020-02-07.
- "Faculty Early Career Development Program | NSF - National Science Foundation". www.nsf.gov. Retrieved 2020-02-07.
- Irina Nenciu publications indexed by Google Scholar
This article "Irina Nenciu" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Irina Nenciu. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.