Joker (upcoming film)
|Directed by||Todd Phillips|
|Music by||Hildur Guðnadóttir|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros. Pictures|
Joker is an upcoming American crime film based on the DC Comics character of the same name. The film will explore the Joker's origin story, set within Gotham City during the 1980s, and will be directed by Todd Phillips, from a screenplay written by Phillips and Scott Silver. It will star Joaquin Phoenix in the title role. Principal photography is set to commence in September 2018 with a release date of October 4, 2019.
Cast[edit | edit source]
- Joaquin Phoenix as Arthur Fleck / The Joker
- Zazie Beetz as Sophie Dumond
- Robert De Niro
- Frances Conroy as Penny Fleck
- Marc Maron
- Bryan Callen
Production[edit | edit source]
On August 22, 2017, Deadline reported that Warner Bros. and DC Films were developing a film about the origin story of the Joker, and it would be the first film in a series unconnected to the DC Extended Universe. The studio had hired The Hangover's Todd Phillips to direct the film and co-write the screenplay along with Scott Silver, while Martin Scorsese would be producing. On September 1, 2017, it was reported that Warner Bros. was considering casting Leonardo DiCaprio as the Joker. In February 2018, it was reported that Joaquin Phoenix was the top choice of Phillips to play the Joker. The film was planned to begin filming late 2018 with a budget of $55 million. By June 2018, Robert De Niro was being eyed for a supporting role. A month later, De Niro entered negotiations to join the film as "a talk show host."
In July 2018, the film was greenlit with Phoenix cast in the title role, and filming set to commence in September 2018. Scorsese had left the project, while Emma Tillinger Koskoff came on board to produce. Additionally, Zazie Beetz joined the cast to portray "a single mother who catches the interest of the man who will become the 'clown prince of crime'." Meanwhile, Frances McDormand declined an offer to portray the mother of the Joker, and Frances Conroy was in talks for the role. At the end of the month, Marc Maron also joined the cast to portray "an agent on Robert De Niro's [character's] talk show who plays a part in booking Phoenix's character", and Bryan Callen was cast as a comedian.
In August 2018, Alec Baldwin was announced as being in talks to play Thomas Wayne, but he was no longer involved two days later. A September 10 filming start was set. Hildur Guðnadóttir was hired to compose the music for the film.
Release[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "Hildur Gudnadottir to Score Todd Phillips' 'Joker' Origin Movie". Film Music Reporter. August 23, 2018. Retrieved August 28, 2018.
- Kit, Borys (June 13, 2018). "Warner Bros. Shifts DC Strategy Amid Executive Change-Up". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 15, 2018.
- Jr, Mike Fleming (August 22, 2017). "The Joker Origin Story On Deck: Todd Phillips, Scott Silver, Martin Scorsese Aboard WB/DC Film". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 23, 2017.
- Masters, Kim; Kit, Borys (September 1, 2017). "The Joker Movie: Warner Bros. Wants Class, Cachet and Maybe Leonardo DiCaprio". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved September 5, 2017.
- Kroll, Justin (February 8, 2018). "Joaquin Phoenix in Talks to Play the Joker in Todd Phillips' Standalone Movie (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved June 15, 2018.
- Erao, Matthew (June 18, 2018). "Joker Origin Film Reportedly Wants Robert De Niro For Supporting Role". ScreenRant. Retrieved July 18, 2018.
- Kit, Borys (July 23, 2018). "Robert De Niro in Talks to Join Joaquin Phoenix in Joker Movie (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 24, 2018.
- "Robert De Niro and Frances Conroy join DC's Joker origin film". flickeringmyth. July 24, 2018. Retrieved July 26, 2018.
- Kit, Borys (July 10, 2018). "Joaquin Phoenix's Joker Origin Movie a Go at Warner Bros". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 11, 2018.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (July 10, 2018). "Todd Phillips' 'Joker' Movie Heading Into Production This Fall With Joaquin Phoenix". Deadline. Retrieved July 11, 2018.
- Kit, Borys (July 19, 2018). "'Joker' Movie: 'Deadpool 2' Actress Zazie Beetz in Talks to Join Joaquin Phoenix (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 21, 2018.
- Mueller, Matthew (July 13, 2018). "Frances McDormand Turns Down Role in Joker Origin Movie". Comic Book. Retrieved July 21, 2018.
- Gonzalez, Umberto; Verhoeven, Beatrice (July 24, 2018). "'Joker': Frances Conroy in Talks to Play Mom to Joaquin Phoenix's Joker in 'Batman' Spinoff (Exclusive)". TheWrap. Retrieved July 24, 2018.
- Kroll, Justin (July 31, 2018). "Joaquin Phoenix's Joker Movie Eyes 'Glow' Star Marc Maron (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved July 31, 2018.
- Anderson, Jenna (July 31, 2018). "Bryan Callen Cast in 'Joker' Origin Movie". ComicBook. Retrieved August 1, 2018.
- Alec Baldwin Exits 'Joker' Movie
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (August 27, 2018). "Alec Baldwin Joins Todd Phillips' 'Joker'". Deadline. Retrieved August 28, 2018.
- McClintock, Pamela; Kit, Borys (June 18, 2018). "'Joker' Origin Movie Lands Fall 2019 Release Date". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 18, 2018.
[edit | edit source]
This article "Joker (upcoming film)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Joker (upcoming film). Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.