LEAD Technologies, inc.
|File:LEAD Technologies color logo.png|
|Headquarters 🏙️||, |
Charlotte, North Carolina,
Area served 🗺️
|Mohammad Daher (Chairman, Co-Founder)|
|Products 📟||Developer Tools|
Number of employees
The company was founded by Mohammed Daher and Rich Little in 1990 as a partnership called Compression Technology, and in 1991 was incorporated as LEAD Technologies, Inc. LEAD was established to commercialize Daher's inventions in the field of digital imaging and compression technology.
LEADTOOLS, is a family of raster, document, medical, multimedia and vector imaging toolkits that allow programmers and developers to incorporate digital imaging technologies into applications that they are creating. In addition to selling LEADTOOLS directly to software developers, LEAD Technologies, its divisions and subsidiaries use the Software Development Kit (SDK) within several end user products including ePrint, MiPACS, M²Convert and FileWiggler. LEADTOOLS eases the development of Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine (DICOM) which is the universal format of picture archiving and communication system (PACS).
Technology included in LEADTOOLS SDK
- DICOM and PACS
- Transforms, filters, and color conversion
- Optical Character Recognition, including document image cleanup
- 3D reconstruction and 2D visualization of medical images
- Handwritten text recognition.
- Medical Web Viewer Framework SDK for 2D and 3D visualizations
- Image processing functions
- Image scanning, import, display, and other basic image processing
- Interactive Annotation Objects
- Multimedia Engine
In 2001, LEAD created a division called Medicor Imaging. Medicor develops and supports the MiPACS product line. Its Dental Enterprise Solution is an application for large digital dental providers such as Universities, the United States Department of Defense and Veterans Affairs. When selected for use by the VA, the primary reason was that it was the only solution able to automatically acquire images from any device, view images with templates, and save images electronically to VistA imaging.
In 2006, LEAD created M² Solutions, Inc. as a wholly owned subsidiary. M² develops and supports a product line called M² Convert, which helps end users convert from one multimedia format to another. M² focuses on the mobile and handheld market for people using Apple iPods and iPads, and Microsoft Windows phones.
In July 1994, Daher was awarded patent #5327254, Method and Apparatus for Compressing and Decompressing Image Data. This invention became the foundation of LEAD's product line and business ventures.
In early 2017, LEAD was awarded Patent #9552527. This patent describes a robust method for detecting the orientation angle of text in an image automatically without using OCR. It determines for each individual text area within an image whether it is written horizontally, vertically, or upright. This method enhances OCR accuracy, especially for Asian text which is often written vertically or a combination of vertical and horizontal text bodies. Detecting the correct angle of the text before doing OCR, improves the speed and performance of the OCR process.
In mid-2019, LEAD was awarded Patent #10318563, Apparatus, Method, and Computer-Readable Medium for Recognition of a Digital Document. This patent is about using advanced computer vision to identify elements within images. Then, artificial intelligence uses the elements found to accurately determine a type of form (i.e. W-2, W-4, 1090, etc). With this patented algorithm, filled-out form images can be distorted and vary in size and resolution without affecting performance. After recognition, AI techniques are employed to provide the precise location of each field of data. Having a precise location greatly improves the accuracy of OCR when processing the forms to extract data.
- "Lead Technologies Inc - Company Profile and News". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2021-04-02.
- "LEADTOOLS Toolkit Supports DICOM 3.0, Extends PACS Access" (Press release). LEAD Technologies Inc. September 23, 2009. Retrieved 2021-04-02 – via Imaging Technology News.
- "Leading the Way, Dahers Work to Engineer a Better World" (PDF) (Interview). Providence Day School.
- Nelson, Mark (2003-06-23). "Dr. Dobb's Data Compression Newsletter Issue #43 – June 2003". Dr. Dobb's Journal. Retrieved 2011-07-18.
- Amin, Milon; Sharma, Gaurav; Parwani, Anil V.; Anderson, Ralph; Kolowitz, Brian J; Piccoli, Anthony; Shrestha, Rasu B.; Lauro, Gonzalo Romero; Pantanowitz, Liron (2012-03-16). "Integration of digital gross pathology images for enterprise-wide access". Journal of Pathology Informatics. 3: 10. doi:10.4103/2153-3539.93892. ISSN 2153-3539. PMC 3327039. PMID 22530178.
- "The Study of Medical Image Communication of DICOM Standard Based on LEADTOOLS". Chinese Journal of Medical Physics (1 ed.). 2007. Retrieved 2019-12-23 – via CNKI.
- AYALA, MELVIN; ADJOUADI, MALEK; CABRERIZO, MERCEDES; BARRETO, ARMANDO (September 26, 2006). "A Windows-Based Interface for Teaching Image Processing" (PDF). Florida International University.
- "Development of an optical character recognition pipeline for handwritten form fields from an electronic health record" (PDF). Unknown parameter
- Davari, Dolatabadi; Dargazany, Aras; Nouri, Hadis (22–24 October 2014). 2D-Visualization of 3D Medical Images within A Distributed System: A Short Survey (PDF). World Congress on Engineering and Computer Science. 1. San Francisco. ISBN 978-988-19252-0-6. ISSN 2078-0966. C. LEADTOOLS Medical Web Viewer Framework SDK. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2019-12-23. Unknown parameter
|url-status=ignored (help)CS1 maint: Date format (link)
- "Service-based Processing and Provisioning of Image-Abstraction Techniques". 2018. Unknown parameter
- A comparison of different multimedia streaming strategies over distributed IP networks (Report). CiteSeerX 10.1.1.464.1332.
- "Dental Imaging Software Market Present Scenario, Growth Prospects and Regional Analysis 2021-2026 – NeighborWebSJ". Retrieved 2021-04-09.
- "MiPACS Dental Enterprise Imaging Solution Award Notice". www.fbo.gov. 2009-04-15. Archived from the original on 24 March 2012. Retrieved 2011-07-18. Unknown parameter
- , "Method and apparatus for compressing and decompressing image data", issued 1992-02-19
- , "Apparatus, method, and computer-readable storage medium for determining a rotation angle of text", issued 2015-08-27
- "US20190258656 APPARATUS, METHOD, AND COMPUTER-READABLE MEDIUM FOR RECOGNITION OF A DIGITAL DOCUMENT". patentscope.wipo.int. Retrieved 2019-12-23.
This article "LEAD Technologies" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:LEAD Technologies. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.