Ladies in Black (2018 film)
|Ladies in Black|
|Directed by||Bruce Beresford|
|Produced by||Allanah Zitserman, Sue Milliken|
|Written by||Sue Milliken, Bruce Beresford|
|Distributed by||Sony Pictures Releasing|
Ladies in Black is an upcoming Australian comedy-drama film directed by Bruce Beresford, based on the 1993 book The Women in Black, written by Madeleine St John. The film features an ensemble cast consisting of Julia Ormond, Angourie Rice, Rachael Taylor, Ryan Corr, Shane Jacobson, Alison McGirr, Noni Hazlehurst and Vincent Perez. It is scheduled to be released in Australia and New Zealand by Sony Pictures Releasing on September 20, 2018.
Plot[edit | edit source]
Set in Sydney over the summer of 1959 against a backdrop of the cultural change of the era, Ladies in Black follows teenager Lisa Miles and her fellow sales assistants at a prominent Sydney department store.
Cast[edit | edit source]
- Julia Ormond as Magda Szombatheli
- Angourie Rice as Lisa Miles
- Rachael Taylor as Fay Baines
- Alison McGirr as Patty Williams
- Ryan Corr as Rudi Janosi
- Shane Jacobson as Mr Miles
- Susie Porter as Mrs Miles
- Noni Hazlehurst as Miss Cartwright
- Vincent Perez as Stefan Szombatheli
- Luke Pegler as Frank Williams
Production[edit | edit source]
Development[edit | edit source]
In March 2017, it was announced that Bruce Beresford would direct The Women in Black, which is based on a 1993 novel by Madeleine St John.
Author St John had attended the University of Sydney alongside Beresford, who remarked: “I’ve been obsessed with making a film of Madeleine St John’s The Women in Black since I first read the novel about 15 years ago... I was attracted by Madeleine’s wit, her light touch, her deft characterisations and her portrayal of a Sydney I knew so well — the Sydney of the 1950s and ‘60s.”
Beresford co-wrote the screenplay with Sue Milliken on and off over the course of twenty years. Milliken and producer Allanah Zitserman sent the completed script to Screen Australia and Screen NSW, who provided funding to get the project off the ground.
Filming[edit | edit source]
Release[edit | edit source]
Ladies in Black is scheduled to be released in Australia and New Zealand by Sony Pictures on September 20, 2018.
References[edit | edit source]
- "Bruce Beresford to direct Ladies in Black film – Daily Review: Film, stage and music reviews, interviews and more". dailyreview.com.au.
- "Sue Milliken preps feature 'Ladies in Black', set in Sydney department store". 20 November 2016.
- "Bruce Beresford's 'Ladies in Black' holds a mirror to multicultural Australia". 18 April 2018.
- Frater, Patrick (22 March 2017). "Sony Nabs Rights to Bruce Beresford's 'Ladies in Black'".
- "Cast Announced for Bruce Beresford's Ladies in Black – FilmInk". www.filmink.com.au.
[edit | edit source]
This article "Ladies in Black (2018 film)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Ladies in Black (2018 film). Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.