|Ali Shahdoost, Hossein Shahdoost, Yasaman Sifarian, Nima Shahdoost
Areas served 🗺️
Number of employees
LanGeek is an innovative language learning platform that leverages artificial intelligence to enhance learning outcomes and experiences. It offers language learners a variety of smart tools that adapt to their needs and preferences, such as personalized feedback, adaptive content, and gamification. LanGeek aims to make language learning more fun, effective, and accessible for everyone.
History and Origin
LanGeek was founded in 2020 by the same team behind B-amooz, a content-based educational platform that helps Farsi speakers learn new languages. The founders of LanGeek were inspired by the potential of artificial intelligence to improve the language learning process and make it more personalized and efficient. LanGeek uses technologies like natural language processing and machine learning to provide language learners with smart tools that adapt to their needs and preferences. LanGeek has grown rapidly since its launch, attracting more than 50K users on its mobile app and more than 200K users on its website. LanGeek supports learning English from five different languages: Spanish, Italian, French, Russian, and Turkish. LanGeek aims to become a leading language learning platform that leverages AI to enhance learning outcomes and experiences.
The name LanGeek is a combination of two words, "Lang" representing "Language" and "geek". The name symbolizes the fusion of language learning and technology, which is the core philosophy of the online language learning platform. The founders aimed to create an innovative platform that utilized modern technology, particularly Artificial Intelligence, to enhance the language learning experience. The name LanGeek perfectly captures this mission of making language learning more accessible, effective, and enjoyable by combining language education with technology.
Langeek Mobile App is a powerful language learning tool designed for both Android and iOS devices. Published in October 2021, the app offers similar features to the Langeek website, with the added benefit of a more user-friendly interface and experience.
- English can be learned from five different languages: Spanish, Italian, French, Russian, and Turkish.
LanGeek Vocabulary Course is a part of LanGeek, a language learning platform that helps learners to learn languages easier, faster and smarter1. The vocabulary course offers various word lists categorized by level, topic, frequency and proficiency tests. The course also provides real-world examples, fun learning tools and mobile applications to help learners improve their vocabulary skills.
Level-based Word Lists
The level-based word lists are based on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR), which is a standard for describing language ability. The word lists cover six levels: A1 (beginner), A2 (elementary), B1 (intermediate), B2 (upper intermediate), C1 (advanced) and C2 (proficient). Each level contains words that are appropriate for learners at that stage of language learning.
Topic-based Word Lists
The topic-based word lists are organized by various topics that are relevant for language learners. Each topic includes subcategories that cover different aspects of the topic. For example, the topic of “Animals” includes subcategories such as “Pets”, “Farm Animals”, “Wild Animals” and “Sea Animals”. The topic-based word lists help learners to expand their vocabulary knowledge and use words in different contexts.
Frequency-based Word Lists
The frequency-based word lists are based on how common the words are used in the English language. The word lists are separated by part of speech, such as verbs, adjectives, adverbs and nouns. The word lists include 500 most common words for each part of speech, as well as 250 most common phrasal verbs. The frequency-based word lists help learners to focus on the words that are most useful and essential for communication.
Proficiency Test-based Word Lists
The proficiency test-based word lists are designed to help learners prepare for English proficiency tests such as IELTS, TOEFL, SAT and GRE. The word lists cover the essential and advanced vocabulary that are required for each test, as well as the vocabulary that are specific to the test sections or formats. The word lists also include examples and exercises to help learners practice and apply the words in the test context.
- Word Review: Introduces new vocabulary to learners and presents images and real-world examples to help learners better understand the word and its context.
- Flashcards: Classic self-assessment tool that can help learners in the process of learning new vocabulary.
- Spelling Tests: Helps learners learn the written aspect of each word.
- Quiz: A multi-step quiz that assesses how effectively learners have learned new words.
More than 10,000 images are available to help learners understand words in real-world contexts.
LanGeek grammar library is a comprehensive online resource that aims to teach English grammar to learners of all levels and backgrounds. The library consists of hundreds of articles that explain the rules and principles of English grammar in a clear and concise manner. The articles are written by professional language teachers and experts who use simple language and real-world examples to illustrate the grammar points. The library covers a wide range of topics, such as the different types of nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, determiners, prepositions and conjunctions, the various verb tenses and moods, the grammatical functions of words and phrases in sentences, the types and structures of phrases and clauses, the formation and classification of sentences, the use and placement of punctuation marks, the origin and evolution of words, the spelling rules and patterns, and the pronunciation of sounds and words. The articles are organized into 16 main categories and each category contains several subtopics that cover specific aspects of grammar.
Moreover, the grammar library is divided into three levels: beginner, intermediate, and advanced. Each level covers the same topics but in different degrees of depth, making it accessible to learners of all levels. The beginner level is designed for learners who are just starting their English language journey and need a basic understanding of grammar. The intermediate level is ideal for learners who have some knowledge of grammar but want to deepen their understanding. Finally, the advanced level is for learners who want to master complex grammar concepts and use them effectively in their writing and speaking.
The pronunciation course teaches learners how to produce and recognize the sounds and patterns of English pronunciation. The course covers the following topics:
- English Alphabet: The course introduces the 26 letters of the English alphabet and their names and sounds. The course also explains how some letters have more than one sound and how to identify them in words.
- English Multigraphs: The course teaches the learners how to pronounce and spell the combinations of two or more letters that represent a single sound in English. The course also shows how some multigraphs have different sounds in different words and contexts.
- Vowels: The course helps the learners to master the 12 vowel sounds in English: 5 long vowels, 5 short vowels and 2 diphthongs. The course also provides examples to practice the vowel sounds in words and sentences.
- Consonants: The course guides the learners to learn the 24 consonant sounds in English and their classifications: 6 plosives, 6 fricatives, 2 affricates, 4 nasals, 3 liquids and 3 glides. The course also gives examples to practice the consonant sounds in words and sentences.
- Phonological Concepts: The course explains the terms and rules that describe how sounds work and interact with each other in a language. The course covers concepts such as syllable, stress, intonation, rhythm, assimilation, elision and liaison. The course also demonstrates how these concepts affect the meaning and expression of speech.
The pronunciation course also provides fun learning tools and mobile applications to help learners improve their pronunciation skills.
Upcomming features and content
- Leitner Box: A powerful memorization technique that uses spaced repetition to help learners retain new vocabulary.
- Custom Wordlists: Allows learners to create and manage their own wordlists for personalized learning experiences.
- Idiom Learning: An upcoming section with more than 5000 idioms to help learners understand and use idiomatic expressions in English.
Langeek Picture Dictionary is a powerful tool for English language learners, offering a comprehensive online dictionary that includes more than 4000 pictures. As the largest online English picture dictionary available for free, Langeek Picture Dictionary is an invaluable resource for anyone looking to improve their vocabulary and understanding of the English language. With detailed information about each word, learners can gain a deeper understanding of the words they are learning and how they are used in context.
One of the key benefits of the Langeek Picture Dictionary is its use of advanced artificial intelligence technology. The LanGeek AI engine mines useful information about each word, providing learners with detailed insights and context that can help them better understand the nuances of the English language. This combination of high-quality images and detailed information makes the Langeek Picture Dictionary an invaluable tool for learners of all levels, from beginners to advanced students seeking to expand their vocabulary and understanding of English.
- LanGeek page and profile on Crunchbase
- What's LanGeek all about!
- LanGeek page on F6S
- Langeek Mobile app
- Langeek Picture Dictionary
- Langeek Wikia