Mad Harriet, art by Michael Turner
|First appearance||Mister Miracle vol. 1 #6,|
|Created by||Jack Kirby (writer & artist)|
|Alter ego||Mad Harriet|
|Place of origin||Apokolips|
|Team affiliations||Female Furies|
Search Mad Harriet on Amazon.
Mad Harriet is a fictional supervillainess character in the DC Comics universe.
Mad Harriet first appeared in Mister Miracle vol. 1 #6 (January 1972) and was created by Jack Kirby.
Fictional character biography
Mad Harriet is raised in Granny Goodness's orphanage. A deeply disturbed child, she impresses Granny with her ferocious temper and penchant for violence, and she inducts the girl into the Female Furies. In this capacity, Mad Harriet serves Darkseid. During the battle with the Earth-based Suicide Squad over the fate of Glorious Godfrey, Harriet is almost killed when she attacks the Bronze Tiger and her energy claws backfire.
During another mission, Harriet is captured by the Gods of New Genesis but is sent back to Darkseid. Later, Mad Harriet is seen as a prostitute in Granny Goodness' brothel, though it is left ambiguous as to whether this is the real Mad Harriet or a delusion by the second Mister Miracle. She also befriends fellow criminal Harley Quinn, though Bernadeth later scolds her for associating with a mortal.
Mad Harriet reappeared with the rest of the Female Furies as they battled Firestorm, Orion, and Hawkgirl on separate occasions.
In Countdown #11, Mad Harriet was part of the battle against Mary Marvel, Harley Quinn and the second Catwoman. As Apokolips' Dog Soldiers open fired on Mary, she ducked and the bullets shredded Mad Harriet instead.
In Final Crisis, Mad Harriet was one of the Furies whose spirit possessed some of Earth's heroines and villainess. Her vessel was Batwoman.
After Darkseid had been enslaved by his daughter Grail, Mad Harriet and the other Female Furies accepted an offer from Big Barda to help defeat Grail as well as to protect Barda's husband, Mister Miracle.
After Lex Luthor claimed leadership of Apokolips, Mad Harriet joined Granny Goodness and the other Female Furies in the deadlands, awaiting Darkseid's return. She later participated in the battle against Kalibak's forces, though she was eventually defeated by her teammate Lois Lane after the Furies turned on the human when she revealed her relationship with Superman. Mad Harriet was imprisoned on Apokolips with Lashina, Stompa, and Granny Goodness when Superman became ruler of the planet.
At some point later, Mad Harriet and her comrades were freed from their imprisonment by Darkseid, who had been slowly regaining his power on Earth. Along with the other Female Furies, Mad Harriet was assigned to seek out mystical artifacts that would further empower Darkseid. Steve Trevor and his team of soldiers called the Oddfellows prevented Mad Harriet and the Furies from stealing the relics, and in the ensuing battle Harriet, along with Lashina, was captured. Both Lashina and Mad Harriet refused to answer Wonder Woman's questions about Darkseid's plans which led to Wonder Woman freeing the two Furies and attempting to battle them for answers. The battle was interrupted by Darkseid, who had transported a chunk of the A.R.G.U.S. headquarters to his lair in the Amazon jungle. During the chaos, Mad Harriet battled the soldiers of A.R.G.U.S. and later fled when Darkseid was apparently killed by Wonder Woman.
During the escalation of the war between Apokolips and New Genesis, Mad Harriet attended the birth of Jacob, the son of Big Barda and Mister Miracle. She also participated in the war against New Genesis.
Powers and abilities
Like a member of The Female Furies, Mad Harriet is superhumanly strong equal that her partners Lashina or Bernadeth. Her advanced physiology makes her extremely long-lived and immune to all diseases. Mad Harriet possesses a remarkable agility and flexibility above the other Female Furies. Due to the fact she is extremely insane, Harriet has a wild fighting style. Mad Harriet wears "power spikes" on her hands that crackle with energy. They can cause enough damage to harm even the most powerful metahumans of the DC universe.
Mad Harriet is a member of Big Barda's space pirates.
Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman
Mad Harriet appears in the story "Dig For Fire" in the anthology series Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman.
In other media
- Mad Harriet appeared on Superman: The Animated Series in several episodes voiced by Andrea Martin. She made her first appearance in the two-part episode "Little Girl Lost" where she, alongside Lashina and Stompa, was summoned by Granny Goodness to battle Supergirl. She also appeared later during the series finale two-part episode "Legacy", where she and the others celebrated after Superman's success, but later attacked the Man of Steel when he betrayed them.
- Mad Harriet also appeared in Justice League Unlimited in the first part of the series finale, "Alive".
- Mad Harriet appears in the tenth season of Smallville in the episode "Abandoned" played by Lindsay Hartley. Harriet acts as Granny Goodness' second in command and acts as the group's leader when Granny is not present. She wears a glove of kryptonite-forged claws (similar to Freddy Krueger). She and the rest of the Female Furies capture Clark Kent and almost execute him but are called off by Granny Goodness. Later, Harriet attacks Tess Mercer, but is knocked out by Mercer shortly afterwards.
- Mad Harriet appears in the DC Super Hero Girls TV special "DC Super Hero Girls: Super Hero High", voiced by Misty Lee.
- Mad Harriet appears in Superman/Batman: Apocalypse. She has no speaking lines in it and her few grunts are provided by Salli Saffioti. While fighting alongside the Female Furies, she attempts to bite Wonder Woman during a battle against her and Big Barda.
- Mad Harriet appears in DC Super Hero Girls: Intergalactic Games voiced once again by Misty Lee. Alongside the other Furies, Mad Harriet joins the Intergalactic Games.
- Mad Harriet appears in Lego DC Super Hero Girls: Brain Drain, voiced by Jennifer Hale.
- Mad Harriet appears in DC Universe Online.
- In Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure, Mad Harriet is one of the thousands of characters that can be summoned by the player.
- Mad Harriet appears as a playable character in Lego DC Super-Villains. She is unlocked after completing the mission "These Boots Were Made For Stompa", where the player battles and defeats Mad Harriet alongside Stompa and Lashina.
- Cowsill, Alan; Irvine, Alex; Korte, Steve; Manning, Matt; Wiacek, Win; Wilson, Sven (2016). The DC Comics Encyclopedia: The Definitive Guide to the Characters of the DC Universe. DK Publishing. p. 188. ISBN 978-1-4654-5357-0. Search this book on
- Wallace, Dan (2008), "Female Furies", in Dougall, Alastair, The DC Comics Encyclopedia, New York: Dorling Kindersley, p. 120, ISBN 978-0-7566-4119-1, OCLC 213309017
- Justice League #50 (2016)
- Superman #34-36 (2018)
- Wonder Woman #39 (2018)
- Wonder Woman #41 (2018)
- Wonder Woman #43 (2018)
- Wonder Woman #44 (2018)
- Mister Miracle #7 (2018)
- Mister Miracle #9 (2018)
- Unlimited Access #4 (1998)
- Ame-Comi Girls #7-8 (2013)
- Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman #16-18 (digital)
This article "Mad Harriet" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Mad Harriet. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.