This article does not cite any sources. (February 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|First appearance||Sgt. Fury and the Howling Commandos vol. 1 #1 (May 1963)|
|Created by||Stan Lee, Jack Kirby|
|Alter ego||Isadore Cohen|
|Team affiliations||Howling Commandos|
Fictional character biography
Cohen is one of the many allies of Nick Fury who work together in battling the Nazi menace throughout World War 2. Cohen has had dozens of adventures with the team, such as in Sgt. Fury and the Howling Commandos #32, where he comes under the influence of Nazi brainwashing. He manages to resist the commands to kill his friends and is able to help turn the tables on his brainwasher and complete the interrupted mission to destroy a weapons plant. During his adventures, his sister, unnamed, is briefly seen.[volume & issue needed]
After the war, Cohen goes back to Brooklyn, settles down with his wife and runs his father's mechanic shop. He has two sons and one daughter. He turns the family business into a string of car dealerships, which he eventually passes down to his sons.[volume & issue needed]
Cohen signs up for a tour of duty in the Korean War, where he makes the rank of sergeant.[volume & issue needed]
Cohen's military career continues to the Vietnam war, where he reunites with the Commandos for a special mission. Outside of the war, Cohen still ends up in trouble. In a 1972 reunion he ends up shot and a decade later, he confronts a Life Model Decoy of the Nazi war criminal Baron von Strucker.[volume & issue needed]
When Nick Fury's espionage organization S.H.I.E.L.D. is corrupted by a sentient Life Model Decoy and nearly destroyed from within, Cohen serves with the group until it can get back on its feet.[volume & issue needed]
Over the years Cohen and his friends have dealt with Nick Fury's deaths, mostly correctly guessing it was some sort of ruse or LMD. They were fooled in one instance where the vigilante Punisher, not in his right mind, had slain a Fury LMD.[volume & issue needed]
Powers and abilities
Cohen is considered a mechanical genius. Though he specializes in automobiles, he has a talent for rigging and fixing all sorts of mechanical devices. As a ranger, he is also trained in explosives. His weaponry tends to consist of grenades and machine guns.
In other media
- Izzy appears briefly in the X-Men animated series from the 1990s, in the episode "Old Soldiers", along two of his comrades of the Howling Commandos, Nick Fury and Dum Dum Dugan, rescuing Captain America and Wolverine.
- Cohen appears in The Super Hero Squad Show episode "Wrath of the Red Skull". He alongside Dum Dum Dugan and Gabe Jones were featured in a flashback when Nick Fury recounts how he and Captain America fought the Red Skull.
- Izzy Cohen appears in the 1998 live-action TV movie Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D., . He is agent of S.H.I.E.L.D..
- Izzy Cohen appears in the 1996 animated series The Incredible Hulk voiced by Thom Barry. He is portrayed as a ruthless S.H.I.E.L.D. agent working with General Thunderbolt Ross' "Hulkbusters" team.
- Izzy Cohen appears in The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes episode "Meet Captain America", as a member of the Howling Commandos.
- Izzy Cohen at the Appendix to the Handbook of the Marvel Universe
|This Marvel Comics superhero-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
This article "Izzy Cohen" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Izzy Cohen. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.