Majid Ali Jaunpuri
Muhaddith Manwi, Maulana
Majid Ali Jaunpuri
|File:Calligraphy of name of Muhaddith Manwi.jpg|
Calligraphy of name of Muhaddith Manwi
Mani Kalan, Jaunpur
|Main interest(s)||Hadith, Logic, Philosophy|
|Alma mater||Darul Uloom Deoband|
Search Majid Ali Jaunpuri on Amazon.
Majid Ali Jaunpuri (Urdu: مولانا ماجد علی جونپوری, Hindi: मौलाना माजिद अली जौनपुरी) also known as Muhaddith Manwi (Urdu: محدث منوی, Hindi: मुहद्दिस मनवी) was a Sunni Islamic scholar from Jaunpur, Uttar Pradesh, India. He was mainly known for his work in logic and on hadith. He was seen as an influential rationalist thinker. He has reportedly written marginalia to Sunan Abu Dawud and Jami` at-Tirmidhi
Jaunpuri was born in Mani Kalan, a village in Jaunpur. He studied with Abdul Haq Khairabadi, Lutfullah Aligarhi and Abdul Haq Kabuli. He graduated from the Darul Uloom Deoband in 1896 (1314 AH). He attended Hadith lectures of Rashid Ahmad Gangohi for two years. He acquired the knowledge of rational sciences from Abdul Haq Khairabadi and Ahmad Hasan Kanpuri.
Jaunpuri taught in the Madrasa al-Arabiyyah in Gulaothi, and then in the Madrasa al-Arabiyyah in Mendhu, Aligarh. Later, he taught in the Madrasa al-Azīzyah in Bihar and then returned back to teach in Mendhu. He went to Kolkata, where he was appointed as the Head teacher of Aliah University, then "Madrasa Alia".
He taught logic, reason and philosophy. He also taught in Delhi’s religious schools. His students include Abdul Ghani Phulpuri,[lower-alpha 1]Syed Fakhruddin Ahmad, Shukrullah Mubarakpuri and Muslim Jaunpuri.[lower-alpha 2]
According to Asir Adrawi, Jaunpuri has written marginalia to the Sunan Abu Dawud and Jami` at-Tirmidhi.
Jaunpuri died in 1935.
Interest in Hadith
Habib ar-Rahman Qasmi states that:
Although, Muhaddith Manwi was imam of logic and philosophy, but he was very much inspired by Maulana Rashid Ahmad Gangohi in the span of 4 years. Then he served, along with the other disciplines of knowledge, mainly the discipline of Hadith. In the six books of Hadith, he was mainly attached with Bukhari and Tirmidhi and used to lecture on both wholeheartedly.
- Abdul Hai Hasani. "Mawlāna Mājid Ali al-Jaunpuri". al-Ilām bi man fī Tārīkh al-Hind min al-Ālām al-musamma bi Nuzhat al-Khawātir wa Bahjat al-Masāmi wa an-Nawāzir (in Arabic) (First, 1999 ed.). Beirut: Dār Ibn Hazm. Retrieved 20 October 2020.CS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link) Search this book on
- Rizwi, Syed Mehboob. Tarikh Darul Uloom Deoband [History of the Dar al-Ulum Deoband]. 2. Translated by Murtaz Husain F Quraishi (1981 ed.). Deoband: Darul Uloom Deoband. Search this book on
- Asir Adrawi. Tadhkirah Mashahir-e-Hind: Karwan-e-Rafta (in Urdu) (1st edition, 1994 ed.). Deoband: Darul Muallifeen.CS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link) Search this book on
- Syed Mehboob Rizwi. Tārīkh Darul Uloom Deoband [History of The Dar al-Ulum]. 2. Translated by Murtaz Hussain F Quraishi. Idara-e-Ehtemam, Dar al-Ulum Deoband. p. 55. Search this book on
- "Majid Ali Manwi Jaunpuri". K̲h̲udā Bak̲h̲sh Lāʼibreri jarnal (in Urdu). Khuda Bakhsh Oriental Library (103): 79. 1996. Retrieved 21 October 2020.CS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link)
- Abdul Hai Hasani. al-Ilām bi man fī Tārīkh al-Hind min al-Ālām al-musamma bi Nuzhat al-Khawātir wa Bahjat al-Masāmi wa an-Nawāzir. p. 1336. Retrieved 20 October 2020. Search this book on
- "Majid Ali Manwi Jaunpuri". Khuda Bakhsh Library Journal (in Urdu). Khuda Bakhsh Oriental Library (103, 104): 168. Retrieved 21 October 2020.CS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link)
- "Darul Uloom". Darul Uloom Deoband. July 1979: 11-12.
- Yusuf Marashli (2006). Nathr al-jawāhir wa-al-durar fī 'ulamā' al-qarn al-rābi' ' ashar, wa-bi-dhaylihi 'Iqd al-jawhar fī 'ulamā' al-rub' al- awwal min al-qarn al-khāmis 'ashar. Beirut: Dar El-Marefah. pp. 996–997. ISBN 9953-446-01-6. Retrieved 21 October 2020. Search this book on
- "Epitome of Humility: Shaykh Muhammad Ayyub A'zimi (Part One)". Deoband.org. Retrieved 16 April 2019.
- Mohammed Parvez. A Study of the Socio-Religious Reforms of Maulana Ashraf Ali Thanvi (PDF). Department of Islamic Studies, Aligarh Muslim University. pp. 159–161. Retrieved 22 October 2020. Search this book on
- "Obituary:Hadhrat Maulana Shaikh Abdul Haq Azami (1928-2016)". Deoband.net. Retrieved 16 April 2019.
- Athar Mubarakpuri. Tadhkirah Ulama-e-Mubarakpur (in Urdu) (2nd, 2010 ed.). Mau: Maktaba al-Faheem. p. 266.CS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link) Search this book on
- Asir Adrawi. Tadhkirah Mashahir-e-Hind: Karwan-e-Rafta (in Urdu) (1st edition, 1994 ed.). Deoband: Darul Muallifeen. p. 220.CS1 maint: Unrecognized language (link) Search this book on
This article "Majid Ali Jaunpuri" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Majid Ali Jaunpuri. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.