Did you know a wiki could be used internally in your company ? For better knowledge management and internal communication. Less email and office files. 30 days free trial. (Ad)
|Type||Residential care facility|
|Age||12 to 17|
|Slogan||A Quality, Individualized Educational Opportunity|
|Tuition||$4,950 a month|
Northwoods is a boarding school located in Northern Idaho. Established in 1993, the residential treatment program for adolescent males has expanded from a single site in Bonners Ferry, Idaho to include a farm near Sandpoint, Idaho and a lodge in Costa Rica.
Northwoods operates three separate locations:
- Northwoods Sagle Farm, a 10-acre (40,000 m2) site south of Sandpoint, Idaho. New students generally begin at this site. One house serves up to eight young men, ages 12–17; a second house is available for 18-year-old students.
- Northwoods Costa Rica, a 95-acre (380,000 m2) site near La Tigra, San Carlos (canton). Northwoods has a lodge and a cabaña with a total of eight bedrooms on the site and students also live with local families. Students spend four months of their stay with Northwoods in Costa Rica.
- Northwoods Bonners Ferry, This is the original Northwoods site. Here, students are in the program's transition phase. They are enrolled in the local high school. One house serves up to six young men, ages 12–17; a second house is available for 18-year-old students.
- Host Families, where boys with separate needs can work on their problems in a different, more relaxed, environment
Accredited academic choices are available to students through the IDLA for students enrolled in Junior High, Keystone and University of Nebraska-Lincoln Independent Study High School for Independent Study High School courses. Students at Bonners Ferry may attend the local high school.
Students may participate in evening classes and programs in the community. Activities are offered as available and have included fitness center membership, sailing in the summer, golfing, fishing, driver's education, guitar lessons, pilot ground school, and downhill skiing and snowboarding. Seasonal travel study expeditions are also available. Students enrolled in the public school have the option of choosing to participate in the extracurricular activities programs provided there, of which include football, soccer, basketball, Academic Decathlon, and various other groups and clubs.
Northwoods at Bonners Ferry
Positioned at the very top of Apple Alley, the Bonners Ferry House was the original Northwoods home. The boys living there are in the transition phase of their stay. Currently, all of the students attend one of the two available public schools, Bonners Ferry High School, or the available alternative school, Riverside High School. Students in Bonners Ferry have access to various school/city-provided activities. Currently, after-school activities include soccer, football, Academic Decathlon, Iron Mike's Gym, and attending school home games.
All Academics in Bonners Ferry are monitored by progress reports signed by the individual teachers. Academic performance and classroom behavior are monitored. Reintroduction to a mainstream setting is a major motivational factor for the students.
- Drumheller, Susan (1999-09-05). "Troubled Homes". The Spokesman-Review. NewsBank unique ID 0EAF49506ED0791E.
The school was founded in Bonners Ferry in 1993 and is run by former CEDU employees David Yeats and Matt Fitzgerald.
- Eberle, Loi (2007-09-18). "Visit Reports - NORTHWOODS". Woodbury Reports, Inc.
- Stednitz, Larry (2005-08-01). "Visit Reports - NORTHWOODS". Woodbury Reports, Inc.
This article "Northwoods Idaho" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Northwoods Idaho. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.