Ponniyin Selvan (unfinished film)
|File:Ponniyin selvan unfinished tamil film poster.jpg|
|Directed by||M. G. Ramachandran|
|Produced by||M. G. Ramachandran|
|Based on||Ponniyin Selvan|
by Kalki Krishnamurthy
|Starring||M. G. Ramachandran|
Ponniyin Selvan (Son of Ponni) is a shelved Tamil-language historical fiction film. It was to be produced and directed by actor M. G. Ramachandran. The film had M. G. Ramachandran, Vyjayanthimala and Gemini Ganesan in the lead with Padmini, Savitri, Saroja Devi, M. N. Rajam, Nagaiah, T. S. Balaiah, M. N. Nambiar and O. A. K. Devar forming an ensemble cast. This was one of the first film which was an adaptation from the Kalki Krishnamurthy's Ponniyin Selvan.
- M. G. Ramachandran as Vallavaraiyan Vandiyadevan
- Vyjayanthimala as Kundavai
- Gemini Ganesan as Arulmozhi Varman
- Padmini as Vaanathi
- Savitri as Poonguzhali
- Saroja Devi as Manimekalai
- M. N. Rajam as Nandhini
- Nagaiyah as Sundara Cholan
- T. S. Balaiah as Aazhvarkadiyan
- M. N. Nambiar as Chinna Pazhuvettarayar
- O.A.K.Devar as Aditya Karikalan
The filming was announced by M. G. Ramachandran in 1958 that he will produce a film which inspired by the novel of the same name. In additional, he paid ₹10,000 towards the film rights of the novel.
The casting was made by Ramachandran who wanted to retain the lead character, Vallavaraiyan Vandiyadevan. For the Arulmozhi Varman role he choose Gemini Ganesan whose role in Veerapandiya Kattabomman was well received. For the role of Kundavai, his choice was Vyjayanthimala who was best known for her song sequel in Vanjikottai Valiban. Furthermore, actress Padmini was chosen to enact the role of Vanathi for her timing utterance of dialogues. The other star cast was selected later which consist of Savitri as Poonguzhali, Saroja Devi as Manimekalai and M. N. Rajam as Nandhini. The male dominant characters for the villainy were set by the inclusion of O. A. K. Devar for the character of Aditya Karikalan since he had the resounding voice modulation and fiery eye contacts. The celebrated villain of that time M. N. Nambiar was pitted for the character of Chinna Pazhuvettarayar and the comedy slot was allotted to T. S. Balaiah as Azhvarkadiyan with Nagaiyah playing the disabled king Sundara Cholan.
In 1958, when acting in a stage drama in Sirkazhi, Ramachandran met with an accident. The wound took six months to heal. This made many of his films to shelve such as Malai Nattu Ilavarasan, Sirikum Silai, Silambu Kugai and Thungathae Thambi Thungathae this include Ponniyin Selvan. The movie was shelved completely later after four years of the novel's rights renewal.
- A. Srivathsan (19 October 2011). "Age hardly withers charm of Ponniyin Selvan". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 11 September 2012. Retrieved 4 November 2016.
- "Ponniyin Selvan Movie Attempts – is it a curse or lack of purse : MGR – Gemini Ganeshan – Vyjayanthimala Bali". 600024.com. 31 May 2011. Archived from the original on 1 July 2012. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- MGR's Unfinished Movies I | 29 September 2007 | Mgrroop.blogspot.com | 14 December 2011
This article "Ponniyin Selvan (unfinished film)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Ponniyin Selvan (unfinished film). Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.