Roop Chand Joshi
Pandit Roop Chand Joshi (18 January 1898 – 24 December 1982) also sometimes referred as Roop Lal is widely recognized as an authority, master and founder of a new branch of Indian astrology and jyotisha, prescribed in a set of books collectively known as Lal Kitab (lit: The Red Book), which were written by him over a period of years. They are a collection of five books on Vedic science of astrology, Jyotisha, Samudrik shastra, palmistry and Vastu shastra. He is known as noted astrologer, occult writer and master of new branch of astrology.
Roop Chand was born in a Hindu Brahmin family to Pandit Jyoti Ram Joshi, a revenue official in Punjab province of British India. He was resident of village Pharwala, Nurmahal tehsil in Jalandhar district of Punjab.
By profession, Roop Chand worked as an Accounts officer in Defense department of British India. After partition of India, he shifted to Punjab in India near Chandigarh and retired in 1954 from Defense department of Government of India.
Author & Master
He authored the Lal Kitab during the years 1939 to 1952 in five volumes. He is regarded as the originator of this new branch of vedic astrology, which previously was unknown. He has covered all the branches of Vedic Astrology like Hastarekha, Samudrik Shastra, Kundali, Janam kundali (as per Sun position and also Moon position), vastu and others. The interpretation contained in this book is quite different from classical Indian and the Western palmistry books. Numerous unique concepts specific to Lal Kitab such as “masnoohee” or artificial planets, " baalig " or " nabaalig - the “adult” and “minor” conditions of a planet are introduced. He makes use of verse in his writing. “Because verses are much easier to remember than prose, therefore, he decided to incorporate verses as an aid to memorizing the basics of LalKitab. Many remedial measures using daily household materials were introduced in these books for first time, as a procedure to get relief from effects of bad planetary positions. He also introduced an amazingly simple table for making annual progressed horoscopes.
He authored the presently available version of Lal Kitab during the years 1939 to 1952 in five volumes. He regarded as the master and originator of this branch of Vedic Astrology.The books are written in Urdu language as in British India, Urdu was official language of the court and language of masses in Punjab and therefore the book became popular in other countries like Afghanistan and Persia to the extant that people misunderstood it to be of Persian origin. A copy of first book published in 1939 is preserved in Lahore Museum, Lahore, Pakistan.
- Lal Kitab Ke Farman (The Edicts of Lal Kitab), 1939, 383 pages
- Lal Kitab Ke Arman (Ilm Samudrik Kee Lal Kitab Ke Armaan), (The “Aspirations” of Lal Kitab), 1940, 280 pages
- Gutka (Ilm Samudrik Kee Lal Kitab) (Third Part), 1941, 428 pages
- Lal Kitab Ke Farman (Lal Kitab – Tarmeem Shuda), 1942, 384 pages
- Ilm-e Samudrik ki buniyad par ki Lalkitab (Lal Kitab), 1952, 1173 pages
In book of 1941 he hints that some unknown power ("gaibee shakti") guided him to write the whole set of books.
He himself used to sit in morning at his baithak and predict and provide remedies on basis of Lal Kitab authored by him, to people who visited him. He was not only an astrologer of repute but was even known as a person, who could see through the veil of time, a clairvoyant.
He died in 1982.
He has left a legacy from his writings and currently you can find many astrologers, who swear by the concept written by him and follow his writings to predict future and remedies. His birthday is celebrated by many in India.
The original Lal Kitab is now available free. However, new versions available are translation, analysis and interpretation of verses by present writers of the original version. All authors dedicate few lines to Pandit Roop Chand Joshi in their preface.
- Mahajan, U. C. (2004). Lal Kitab: A Rare Book on Astrology. Pustak Mahal. ISBN 9788122308846. Retrieved 12 October 2019. Search this book on
- अग्रवाल, डॉ अमर (2017). लाल किताब: ग्रहफल विचार (in हिन्दी). Notion Press. ISBN 9781947988019. Retrieved 3 July 2019. Search this book on
- Bansal, Vastu Shastri Khushdeep (2012). Alchemy of Inner Mind. MahaVastu Corporation Ltd. Retrieved 3 July 2019. Search this book on
- Raj, Tilak (2014). Remedies of Vastu. All India Federation of Astrologers' Societies. p. 67. ISBN 9789382784135. Retrieved 3 July 2019. Search this book on
- Adawal, Shanker. Encyclopedia of Vedic Astrology: Remedies. Sagar Publications. pp. 318–19. Retrieved 23 September 2019. Search this book on
- Shankar, Vijay N. (2014). Shadow Boxing with the Gods. Leadstart Publishing PvtLtd. ISBN 9789381836804. Retrieved 25 September 2019. Search this book on
- जोशी, अनिरुद्ध. "लाल किताब का ये इतिहास जानकर आप भी चौंक जाएंगे | history of lal kitab in hindi". hindi.webdunia.com (in हिन्दी). Retrieved 23 September 2019.
- "Punjab Is The Land Of Villages And My Village Is Pharwala (Jalandhar) | Link Newspaper". The Link Paper. Retrieved 24 September 2019.
- "लाल किताब के रचयिता पंडित जोशी का 121वां जन्मोत्सव मनाया (121 birth anniversary of Pt. Roop Chand Joshi celebrated)". Dainik Jagran (in हिन्दी). Dainik Jagran. Dainik Jagran. 19 January 2018. Retrieved 25 September 2019.
- "लाल किताब का रहस्य (Mysteries of Lal Kitab)". Apalak Times. 28 April 2018. Retrieved 25 September 2019.
- Archieve Lal Kitab 1941
- PDF 1952 Lal Kitab
This article "Roop Chand Joshi" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Roop Chand Joshi. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.