Sagar Aryal (Nepali: सागर अर्याल; born September 10, 1995) is a Nepalese environmentalist, who is the current Chairman of Plant-for-the-Planet. He was also the president of Plant-for-the-Planet Global Board for 2012/13. Aryal founded Sano Sansar Initiative in 2006 and also was elected as youth advisor of the United Nations Environment Programme - TUNZA in January 2012. He has been known to contribute to Environment, Education for Sustainable Development, Global Warming and Green Economy since his Elementary and Secondary School. Aryal has been vocal about lack of initiative to keep the global warming to the two degree celsius promised in COP21 and currently oversees the development of Trillion Tree Campaign – as time-buffer solution to help meet the Paris ambition gap.
Sagar Aryal, founded Sano Sansar Initiative a platform for children and youth, in 2006 when he was 10 years old. With a motto of Education for All, his activism started by supporting children in rural part of Nepal with stationery materials through stationery support program and setting up libraries in the rural community schools of Nepal.
Aryal was the organizer of Little Doctors Program in 2009, a training for school children to discuss and know about the Primary Health issues their Prevention and Cure, where president of Nepal Dr. Ram Baran Yadav invited him and the children at his office for inauguration of the program.
Aryal has been involved in dozens of initiatives, organizations and networks to support in achieving Millennium Development Goals especially enhancing education, aware people about climate change, environment conservation and eradication of poverty through youth entrepreneurship. Similarly Aryal was one of the five founding members of Nepali Youth Task Force on RIO+20, to represent voice of mountains in RIO+20 and beyond.
On June 2012, Aryal was elected the President of Plant-for-the-Planet. Under his leadership, Plant-for-the-Planet is currently building an open source App that aims to scale up tree planting to reach the goal of a trillion trees and bring transparency to individual planting efforts.
The organisation currently restores 22,500 hectares of forest on the Yucatán Peninsula in Mexico by planting on average one tree every 15 seconds. Furthermore, Plant-for-the-Planet leads the UN Billion Tree Campaign, as part of which 13 billion trees have been planted so far by contributing companies, organisations and governments.
Climate Strike Movement
In May 2015, Aryal invited students at the Plant-for-the-Planet Youth Summit to go on a Climate Strike on the first day of COP 21 – The UN Conference in Paris on Climate Change. Climate Strike movement called students for a call to action "Are you still going to school–doing your homework–while they are burning our future?" Demanding a transition to 100% clean energy, to keep fossil fuel in the ground, and help climate refugees. Climate Strike on November 30, 2015, gathered over 50,000 students, in over 100 countries, who skipped school to organize and participate a climate action.
On 20 August 2018, Greta Thunberg decided to go on school strike at the Swedish parliament to get politicians to act. She inspired the Fridays for Future movement and over a million students have already skipped school on Fridays demanding actions on climate crisis.
- "Plant-for-the-Planet". plant-for-the-planet.org. Retrieved 2019-07-30.
- "Tree Yourself". Wild Lens. 2019-07-31. Retrieved 2019-12-14.
- "Tree-planting programs turn to tech solutions to track effectiveness". Mongabay Environmental News. 2019-11-22. Retrieved 2019-12-14.
- "Sagar Aryal | Sano Sansar Initiative". Sanosansar.org. 2012-09-23. Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- "Planting trees has never been easier!". UNEP - UN Environment Programme. Retrieved 2019-12-14.
- Tutton, Mark (April 17, 2019). "The most effective way to tackle climate change? Plant 1 trillion trees". CNN. Retrieved Jul 30, 2019.
- "Being consciously responsible about climate and environment". Myrepublica.com. 2012-10-17. Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- "Small wonders Dressed to heal; Article | Oped". ekantipur.com. 2009-02-01. Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- "Plant-for-the-Planet". plant-for-the-planet.org. Retrieved 2019-12-14.
- Press, The Planetary (2019-09-30). "Plant for the Planet: New Tree Planting App Targets 1 Trillion Trees". The Planetary Press. Retrieved 2019-12-14.
- "Call 2015 – Climate Strike". Retrieved 2019-03-19.
- Khabar, Glocal (2015-07-17). "Call For A Global School Strike On Climate Strike Day". Glocal Khabar. Retrieved 2019-12-14.
- "Youth stand with vulnerable to demand climate justice". New Internationalist. 2015-12-03. Retrieved 2019-12-14.
- "The youth movement strikes back". New Internationalist. 2015-12-02. Retrieved 2019-12-14.
- "Climate Strike 2017".
- Mark Tutton. "Greta Thunberg inspires global climate protests". CNN. Retrieved 2019-03-19.
This article "Sagar Aryal" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Sagar Aryal. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.