Seth Andrew is a serial social entrepreneur best-known for founding Democracy Prep Public Schools, a national network of charter schools based in Harlem, and Democracy Builders, a social sector incubator that launched Washington Leadership Academy, the Arena Summit, and Degrees of Freedom.
Education and Career
Andrew attended the Bronx High School of Science, earned his A.B. from Brown University, and his Ed.M from the Harvard Graduate School of Education. In 2005, Andrew founded Democracy Prep Public Schools in Harlem, New York. The network has grown to serve more than 6,500 students in New York, New Jersey, Louisiana, Nevada, and Texas. Democracy Prep has been the subject of significant academic research due to its emphasis on civic engagement. From 2014 to 2016, Andrew served as senior advisor and superintendent-in-residence at the U.S. Department of Education and was a senior advisor in the Office of Educational Technology at the White House under the Presidency of Barack Obama. In 2020, under Andrew’s leadership, Democracy Builders and Marlboro College announced that Democracy Builders would acquire the Marlboro College campus in order to build a low-residency, low-cost college program for low-income students.
- "EdReform University". Center for Education Reform. Retrieved 9 June 2020.
- "Democracy Prep Public Schools". About. Democracy Prep Public Schools. Retrieved 9 June 2020.
- "Education Next: Q&A: Seth Andrew" (VOL. 19, NO. 3). Education Next. Summer 2019. Retrieved 9 June 2020.
- Mahnken, Kevin (April 10, 2019). "Photo Tour: The Students, Educators, Classrooms & Activism That Define Democracy Prep, a School Network Built Around Civics". The74. Retrieved 9 June 2020.
- Mahnken, Kevin (April 10, 2019). "How Democracy Prep Is Drawing Upon Civics to Challenge Its Students to 'Change the World' — Before They Graduate". The74. Retrieved 9 June 2020.
- Mahnken, Kevin (April 10, 2019). "Democracy Prep's Expansion Woes Raise Questions About Whether Civics Education Can Be Brought to Scale". The74. Retrieved 9 June 2020.
- Pondiscio, Robert (May 1, 2018). "Contributing to a 'More Perfect Union': Mathematica Study of Civic Engagement of Students at Democracy Prep Is Encouraging but Only a Beginning". The74. Retrieved 9 June 2020.
- "ResearchED". ResearchEd.org. Retrieved 9 June 2020.
- St. Amour, Madeline (May 29, 2020). "Marlboro to Become New 2-Year Program". Inside Higher Education. Retrieved 9 June 2020.
- French, Ellie (May 28, 2020). "Marlboro College announces campus sale to Democracy Builders". VT Digger. Retrieved 9 June 2020.
- Visconti, Ambrogio. "Democracy Builders' Acquisition of Marlboro College". Global Legal Chronicle. Retrieved 9 June 2020.
- Audette, Bob (May 28, 2020). "New model of higher education could take root in Marlboro". The Bennington Banner. Retrieved 9 June 2020.
- Donnelly, Shannon (2004-08-29). "WEDDINGS/CELEBRATIONS: VOWS; Lana Zak and Seth Andrew". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-02-22.
- "Lana Zak". ABC Radio. Retrieved 2019-02-22.
This article "Seth Andrew" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Seth Andrew. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.