Shehzad Jai Hind
|Shehzad Jai Hind|
|🏡 Residence||Pune, India|
|📆 Years active||2007–present|
Shehzad Poonawalla is an Indian civil rights activist and member of the Indian National Congress party. Shehzad has dropped the use of his surname and adopted the last name "Jai Hind." He has been a strong critic of dynasty politics and has vowed to make a "Dynasty Mukt Congress". He has recently challenged the election of Rahul Gandhi to the post of Congress President which he says was illegal. He has demanded that more space needs to be made in politics and especially the Congress party for non-dynasts. His twitter (@Shehzad_Ind) bio reads "my religion is Islam, culture is Hindu, ideology is Indian. Jai Hind"
Poonawalla recently announced that after talks with his publisher he would be penning his first book documenting his fight against "the dynastic order and their devious secrets and the proceeds will be donated to charity." The book is expected to create huge ripples in the political circle as Shehzad Poonawalla is considered to be the ultimate insider. His book is slated to be out by September 2018.
Early life and family
Shehzad Poonawalla was born to Muslim parents Yasmeen & Sarfaraz Poonawalla. He has one elder brother Tehseen Poonawalla, who severed ties  with him after his revolt against dynasty politics in Congress party and Rahul Gandhi's "fixed election".
Poonawalla has taken up more than 25 cases in courts, NHRC and NCM against communal hate speech, religious discrimination and for protection of minorities. He had raised the case of "housing discrimination"  in Mumbai in 2013 and took up several cases where Muslims, transgenders  and Dalits were denied housing and employment. Cases against Mob Lynching were taken up at various platforms by him. Lynching of Junaid in Haryana was taken to NHRC which issued a show cause notice to the Haryana police on the basis of his petition. Currently, Dr Swamy is out on bail < in a case against hate speech filed by him. Shehzad was also one of the few persons who crusaded for rights of Hindus in Bangladesh and took up their persecution with Bangladesh High Commission and Government of India in 2014. In 2015-16 he had sued Ram Gopal Verma  for his derogatory comments on Lord Ganesha and got the director to apologise and withdraw the comments. In 2017, Poonawalla wrote to Punjab and Jammu Kashmir CM to give minority status and rights to Hindus in Punjab and the Valley especially Kashmiri Pandits.
- "Who is Shehzad Poonawalla? The Congress man questioning Rahul Gandhi's elevation". Moneycontrol.com. December 4, 2017. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- Sanyal, Anindita, ed. (December 4, 2017). "Praised By PM, Congress Rebel Shehzad Poonawalla Talks Of Secret Tape". NDTV. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- "Shehzad Poonawalla hits back at Congress, says he became whistle-blower to reveal 'rigged' party president election". Firstpost. 2017-12-03. Retrieved 2017-12-05.
- Sweta Dutta (December 27, 2017). "Shehzad Poonawalla says will pen tell-all book on Gandhi familys politics". India Today. New Delhi. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- Suhas Munshi (December 7, 2017). "Poonawalla Brothers Fallout Brings Spotlight on Other Families in Rival Parties". CNN-News18. Retrieved December 25, 2017.
- "99acres and Shehzad Poonawalla to work together with the National Commission for Minorities against religious prejudice in the real estate sector" (PDF). National Commission for Minorities. Retrieved 2018-02-15.
- Anahita Mukherji (June 24, 2015). "Mumbai transgender claims she's being turned out of flat for her sexuality". Times of India. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- "Activist lodges complaint against Ram Gopal Varma for his controversial tweet on Ganesh Chaturthi". Deccan Chronicle. 2014-08-30. Retrieved 2017-12-25.
- "Congress leader seeks minority status for Hindus in Punjab, Jammu and Kashmir". India Today. Retrieved 2017-12-25.
This article "Shehzad Poonawalla" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Shehzad Poonawalla. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.