|Headquarters 🏙️||, |
Dublin , Boston
Area served 🗺️
|Paddy White, CEO & Founder|
|Products 📟||Wearable wireless sensors|
Number of employees
Shimmer Sensing is a Dublin based wearable technology company that produces wearable wireless sensors, which can be used to monitor health, athletic performance and biophysical responses. Shimmer's sensing technology allows for simple capture and transmission of biophysical and kinematic data in real-time which can be logged or streamed via Bluetooth to another Bluetooth enabled device like a PC or mobile device. Shimmer's sensors record and transmit a wide range of data related to the person and their external environment. This unlocks the potential for analysis and interpretation of sensed data specific to the person, their application, and their environment.
Shimmer (an acronym for Sensing Health with Intelligence, Modularity, Mobility, and Experimental Reusability) design , develop , manufacture , and market a full range of wearable wireless sensing technology and solutions[buzzword] services to over 75 countries worldwide.
Shimmer is designed for wearable and remote sensing applications. The Shimmer platform is flexible and adaptable making it easy to integrate into existing systems and technologies. The technology is designed to overcome the challenges of size , weight , and power constraints.
The Shimmer3 is the smallest, slimmest and most robust wearable sensor created by Shimmer. The Shimmer3 offers best data quality with integrated 9dof (degrees of freedom) inertial sensing via accel, gyro, mag and altimeter, each with selectable range. The Shimmer3 can be applied a variety of applications surrounding human health monitoring , activities of daily living , connected health solutions[buzzword] and sports science.
Shimmer3 GSR+ unit
The GSR+ unit is used for measuring the electrical characteristics or conductance of the skin, as well as capturing a PPG signal and converting to estimate heart rate (HR), using the Shimmer ear clip. This application can be applied to a variety of applications such as market research , emotional engagement , psychological arousal and stress detection.
Shimmer3 ECG unit
The Shimmer3 ECG (Electrocardiogram) unit records the pathway of electrical impulses through the heart muscle, and can be recorded on resting and ambulatory subjects, or during exercise to provide information on the heart’s response to physical exertion. The Shimmer3 ECG unit can be applied to a variety of applications such as heart function monitoring , atrial fibrillation , premature ventricular contraction , abnormal rhythm detection and alert.
Shimmer3 EMG unit
The Shimmer3 EMG (Electromyogram) measures and records the electrical activity associated with muscle contractions, assesses nerve conduction, muscle response in injured tissue, activation level. The device can be used to analyze and measure the biomechanics of human or animal movement. The Shimmer EMG unit measures non-invasive (surface) EMG and therefore is a representation of the activity of the whole muscle. It is an efficient wireless solution[buzzword] for access to a host of muscle, gait, and posture data analysis. The Shimmer3 ECG unit can be applied to a variety of applications such as biomechanics , fatigue analysis , sports technique , performance and medicine , tremor analysis , neuro rehabilitation , veterinary science and orthopedics.
The consensys software is Shimmer’s multi sensor management system which is designed for adaptive human data collection, synchronization of multiple Shimmer devices and management of the calibrated, raw and clinically validated data. The Software is used in conjunction with a Shimmer base or dock and simplifies the setup of data collection sessions from a single Shimmer by integrating firmware updates, sensor configuration and data capture in a single interface.
NeuroLynQ is Shimmer's first complete solution[buzzword] which integrates both hardware and software and has been developed for both neuromarketing and consumer neuroscience applications. NeuroLynQ measures two different physiological reactions; heart rate and galvanic skin response using a single NeuroLynQ sensor. The application is used to gain an insight into the complex emotional response of an audience to marketing material, advertising and other sensory stimuli. NeuroLynQ can be used to measure the implicit and unconscious response of up to 36 people to a given stimulus.
Shimmer provide wearable wireless sensing technology, solutions[buzzword] and consultancy services to the Research, Enterprise, and End User markets. Due to Shimmer’s flexibility , the Shimmer platform is generally application agnostic.
Research & Education
- Physiotherapy & Rehabilitation
- Remote patient monitoring
- Connected Health
- Mobile Health
- Aging in place
- Computer Science
- Elite Sport
- Activities of daily living
- Falls & Gait
- Social wellness
- Ambient / Agri / Environmental
- Sports & Fitness
- Consumer Electronics
In June 2016 , Shimmer formed a partnership with Wyss Institute at Harvard University in support of ongoing research focused on remote patient monitoring using wearable sensing technology. The research is currently being led by Paolo Bonato, Ph.D., an Associate Faculty Member at the Wyss Institute and an associate professor in the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at Harvard Medical School.
In March 2014 , Shimmer formed a partnership with US-based Emerge Diagnostics worth $10 million over three years. Shimmer provided the platform that enabled Emerge Diagnostics to roll out a new medical device which enables the diagnosis and treatment of soft tissue injuries through electrodiagnostic functional assessment. The device contains 28 sensors and can be used to distinguish between an acute injury from an underlying chronic condition. It is used to help determine the age of an injury.
Kinesis Health Technologies
In December 2014 , Shimmer and Kinesis Health Technologies announced a deal worth €3 million which involved the incorporation of the Shimmer sensor platform into Kinesis QTUG™ technology which allows for earlier detection of mobility impairment and falls risk in older adults and aims to advance the field of falls prevention. 
In June 2013 , Shimmer joined forces with XPRIZE, partnering on their Nokia Sensing XCHALLENGE and Qualcomm Tricorder XPRIZE competitions.
In 2012 , Shimmer formed a partnership with Telefónica , the third largest telecommunications provider in the world. Telefónica launched a new 'Rehabitic' product which used Shimmer's wearable sensors for patients who had total knee replacements and required extensive physiotherapy. The product enable's the rehabilitation process to be conducted in the patient's home while clinicians can monitor their sessions remotely from the hospital.
Global Digital Health 100 Awards
Shimmer were recognised as one of the top 100 global digital health companies in the Global Digital Health 100 Awards as compiled by The Journal of mHealth.
The Irish Times InterTrade Ireland Innovation Award
In 2014 , Shimmer were recognized as the IT and Telecommunications Category award winner, out of a pool of 136 entrants.
Frost & Sullivan Product Leadership Award
In 2013 , Shimmer were awarded the Frost & Sullivan Product Leadership Award for its highly flexible body worn wireless sensing platform. Based on Frost & Sullivan’s analysis of the wireless sensors market, this award endorsed Shimmer as the leader in the wireless sensors sector.
Shimmer was founded in 2008 as a division of Realtime Electronics when Intel offered current CEO Paddy White the global licence for the sensor platform. Intel originally held the licence because the first wearable sensor was developed there by Ben Kuris and Steve Ayer in 2006. In 2009, Kuris and Ayer joined Shimmer as directors of engineering and the company launched an R&D facility in Boston, Massachusetts. Up until 2013 they sold their products to research groups and universities. Since then they have also been selling the platform to sports, medical and marketing companies for use in the development of new products.
- "Technology worn with a sensor of pride". Irish Examiner. Trish Dromey. Retrieved 16 June 2016.
- "Frost & Sullivan's Product Leadership Award Honours Shimmer for its Highly Flexible Wireless Sensor Platform". PM News Wire. Frost & Sullivan. Retrieved 16 June 2016.
- "The Ireland of Things". Enterprise Ireland. Gavin McWhirter. Retrieved 16 June 2016.
- "How research helped these 10 start-ups discover success". Silicon Republic. Elaine Burke. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- "Motion Development Kit by Shimmer Research". www.hotfrog.ie.
- "Our facilities - Monash Business School". business.monash.edu.
- "Wearable Technology Show - Exhibitors 2015". www.wearabletechnologyshow.net.
- "25 trailblazing companies proving Ireland is an IoT hub". Silicon Republic. Silicon Republic. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- "Shimmer Partners With Harvard's WYSS Institute". Isin.ie. Isin.ie. Retrieved 27 June 2016.
- "Getting 'shimmered up' for med tech". Silicon Republic. Silicon Republic. Retrieved 27 June 2016.
- "Getting 'shimmered up' for med tech". Silicon Republic. Claire O Connell. Retrieved 27 June 2016.
- "Wearable Wireless Sensing Empowers People – An Interview with Shimmer". Wearable technologies. Wearable technologies. Retrieved 27 June 2016.
- "Technology worn with a sensor of pride". Irish Examiner. Trish Dromey. Retrieved 27 June 2016.
- "How research helped these 10 start-ups discover success". Silicon Republic. Elaine Burke. Retrieved 16 June 2016.
- "Shimmer in $10m deal with US giant". Irish Times. Ciara O'Brien. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- "Shimmer Sensing and Kinesis Health Technologies Reach Partnership in Supply of Novel Mobility and Falls Risk Assessment Technology 'QTUG™'". UCD. University College Dublin. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- "Ground breaking technology may lower risk of falls in elderly". Irish Examiner. Trish Dromey. Retrieved 16 June 2016.
- "Partners & Supporters". Nokia Sensing. xPrize. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- "Innovation Awards profile: Shimmer - Wearable wireless sensor". Irish Times. Barry Mcall. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- "Telefónica launches tele-rehabilitation solution - Technology - Healthcare Global". www.healthcareglobal.com.
- "Journal of mHealth names Ayogo to 2014 Digital Health 100". 12 December 2014.
- "Taoiseach lauds entrepreneurs at 'Irish Times' Innovation Awards".
- Sullivan, Frost &. "Frost & Sullivan's Product Leadership Award Honours Shimmer for its Highly Flexible Wireless Sensor Platform". www.prnewswire.com.
- "Realtime Technologies Launches SHIMMER - a Wearable Health Sensor for Both Connected and Wireless Environments". PR Newswire. Realtime Technologies and Enterprise Ireland. Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- Dromey,Trish (July 21, 2014). "Technology worn with a sensor of pride". Irish Examiner. Retrieved 15 October 2015.
- "25 trailblazing companies proving Ireland is an IoT hub". Silicon Republic. 5 October 2015. Retrieved 15 October 2015.
This article "Shimmer Sensing" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Shimmer Sensing. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.