|Born||1993 (age 24–25)|
Simon Crowther is a British engineer and entrepreneur from Nottingham. His company is the sole distributor of the Water-Gate flood defence barrier in the United Kingdom. Crowther won several awards for his work, including the British Young Entrepreneur of the Year.
Career[edit | edit source]
When his family's Woodborough home was flooded in 2007, Crowther (a Nottingham High School student at the time) began researching flood defence. He came across Megasecur, a Canadian company that developed and sold Water-Gate, a recyclable material which is rolled out and self-deploys as a temporary barrier using the weight of floodwater itself. In 2012, when he was a first-year student of Civil Engineering at the University of Nottingham, Crowther successfully used Water-Gate to defend his parents' house. He secured the sole UK distributor rights and founded Flood Protection Solutions in Nottingham. His goal was to replace the sandbag as the main flood control product.
By 2016, his company was supplying local residents, businesses, water companies and power companies. Employing four members of staff, Flood Protection Solutions had a £2m turnover in 2017, selling 500 barriers a year.
Crowther attracted national attention in 2016 with an open letter to his MP. The letter, detailing how interest on his student loan increased his debt by more than £1,800 in the year since he graduated, went viral online.
Awards and recognition[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Sandeman, Kit (23 January 2018). "Notts entrepreneur named in Forbes' 30 Under 30 list for his flood defence invention". Nottingham Post. Retrieved 28 January 2018.
- "On Simon Crowther Named in Forbes 30 Under 30 List". Nottingham High School. 24 January 2018. Retrieved 2 February 2018.
- "Young Entrepreneur Jet Sets to Canada for Development Mission". Love Business. 17 July 2017. Retrieved 23 January 2018.
- Smith, Mikey (31 December 2015). "Environment Agency refused free loan of high-tech flood barriers on Christmas Eve". Mirror. Retrieved 23 January 2018.
- Williams, Henry (22 March 2016). "Young entrepreneurs: Simon Crowther, Flood Protection Solutions". Startups.co.uk. Retrieved 23 January 2018.
- "Keynote speaker: Simon Crowther". The Great British Expos. 2017. Retrieved 23 January 2018.
- Osborne, Hilary (26 May 2016). "Graduate whose loan grew by £1,800 in one year says students were misled". The Guardian. Retrieved 23 January 2018.
- Burns, Judith (26 May 2016). "My student loan was mis-sold, says graduate". BBC. Retrieved 23 January 2018.
- "Previous years". Great British Entrepreneur Awards. 2016. Retrieved 23 January 2018.
- "100 Visionary Leaders". Real Leaders. 2016. Retrieved 23 January 2018.
- "2018 30 Under 30 Europe: Industry: Simon Crowther". Forbes. 2018. Retrieved 23 January 2018.
[edit | edit source]
This article "Simon Crowther" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or its subpage Simon Crowther/edithistory. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.