|Date||11 March 2018|
|Location||Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium (Delhi)|
Soldierathon is a special form of marathon championed by Major Surendra Poonia to help families of soldiers affected by war in India. The first event of this marathon was scheduled for 11 March 2018. It was attended by marathon runners and specially abled (for a smaller segment). Confirmed participants in inaugural run include Bana Singh, Gautam Gambhir, Major DP Singh, Varun Sood (VJ), Yogendra Singh Yadav, Sanjay Kumar, Mohammad Kaif and Dharmendra Pradhan.
This special edition marathon is instituted in commemoration of the martyrs of Indian Armed Forces who made the supreme sacrifice for their motherland.. Soldierathon name was coined by Major Poonia. It is created by amalgamation of soldier and marathon words respectively. The proceeds of this event are to be donated to the Artificial Limb Centre at AFMC Pune and Paraplegic Rehabilitation Centre, Kirkee for prosthesis treatment and an education fund for the children of martyrs.. The Soldierathon team initially set a target of ₹3 crore (US$420,000) to be donated. The first marathon event donation was ₹1,709,000 (US$24,000). Mentors and advisors include Syed Ata Hasnain, Lt gen. Arun Kumar Bakshi, Brigadier Arvind Lal, Srijan Pal Singh, Major Gaurav Arya.. The inaugural event also included special performances by Divyangs. It ranked 6th in terms of participation count in Delhi.
Major Poonia met the then President of India, A. P. J. Abdul Kalam in 2013 and discussed on the possibility of a sports event to bring citizen interest into welfare of armed forces' personnel and their families. Subsequent to the discussion, Surendra Poonia worked on the concept, brought in sponsors and drew the charter for disbursement of proceeds.
There are two main categories for fee structure , one for citizen and the other for serving in the forces. The fee is waived off for the 2K-Spirit of India (differently abled) segment across both categories.
- "Soldierathon - Sponsors". www.foursignals.com. Retrieved 10 March 2018.
- "Our Sponsors". Soldierathon. Retrieved 10 March 2018.
- Walia, Sumit (18 Jan 2018). "Soldierathon: Run for Our Soldiers". Indian Defence Review.
- Arora, Naina (4 Mar 2018). "Soldierathon: Get ready for the run that celebrates the heroes of our nation". Hindustan Times.
- "First edition of 'Soldierathon' organised at Nehru stadium". Business Standard. 11 Mar 2018.
- Arora, Naina (12 Mar 2018). "When the nation ran for the glory of the armed forces". Hindustan Times.
- Soldierathon on Facebook
- Soldierathon on TwitterLua error in Module:WikidataCheck at line 23: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).
- Soldierathon on Instagram
|This article about marathons or long-distance running is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
This article "Soldierathon" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Soldierathon. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.