States headed by Elizabeth II
The number of states headed by Queen Elizabeth II has varied during her 67 years on the throne, altogether seeing her as sovereign of a total of 32 independent countries during this period. In her capacity as Queen of the United Kingdom (including the British overseas territories), she is also monarch of three Crown dependencies—Guernsey, Jersey, and Man—and, in her capacity as Queen of New Zealand, she is monarch of two associated states—the Cook Islands and Niue—since they acquired this status in 1965 and 1974, respectively.
Two situations in two countries differ from the others. The government of the unrecognised state of Rhodesia proclaimed its allegiance to Elizabeth II as queen of Rhodesia from 1965 to 1970. However, she did not accept either the role or the title and it was not accepted or recognised by any other state. Fiji became a republic through a military coup in 1987, after which its Great Council of Chiefs continued to recognise Elizabeth II as queen, or Paramount Chief of Fiji, until the council's de-establishment on 14 March 2012. However, this was only a ceremonial title, with no role in government at all.
|Antigua and Barbuda|
|Papua New Guinea|
|Saint Kitts and Nevis|
|St Vincent and the Grenadines|
|Trinidad and Tobago|
See also[edit | edit source]
- Timeline of country and capital changes
- List of Prime Ministers of Queen Elizabeth II
- Personal union
Notes[edit | edit source]
- British Overseas Territories, Crown dependencies, Sovereign Base Areas, Australian external territories, and territories and associated states of New Zealand
- http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/south-pacific/6573396/Fijis-Great-Council-of-Chiefs-abolished[full citation needed]
- "Fiji chiefs say Britain's Elizabeth still Queen of Fiji". Radio New Zealand International. 19 November 2002. Retrieved 13 November 2011.
This article "States headed by Elizabeth II" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:States headed by Elizabeth II. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.