Statue of Christopher Columbus (New London, Connecticut)
|Statue of Christopher Columbus|
|Location||New London, Connecticut, U.S.|
The New London, Connecticut statue of Christopher Columbus was a marble statue installed in the city from 1928 to 2020. In June, 2020 the New London City council voted to remove the statue from public land.
The statue, given to the city as a gift by Italian-Americans, was unveiled on Columbus Day, October 12, 1928. Its installation was delayed when the ship it had traveled on from Italy was seized for transporting a cargo of heroin. The nine foot, six inch statue was sculpted in marble by the Italian artist Armand Battelli, at a cost of $7000.
In 2017 a group of local citizens sought to legally and physically protect the statue from removal. In June 2020 more than 6000 people signed a petition to remove the statue, and the memorial became the subject of extensive news coverage. Following a successful city council vote on its proposed removal, the statue was banned from being sited on public land. New London's mayor Michael Passero said that the statue had become "a lightning rod for civil discontent". The statue was removed June 16, 2020 at the order of the city council.
Others articles of the Topic Visual arts : List of Czech artists by date, Graphic design, Kyoorius, Portraits of Presidents of the United States, Statue of Christopher Columbus (Norwalk, Connecticut), Graphic designer, Alexis Marcou
Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "".Some use of "" in your query was not closed by a matching "".
- List of monuments and memorials removed during the George Floyd protests
- New London. 2015. ISBN 9781467123754. Search this book on
- Edgecomb, Kathleen. "In the Beginning". The Day – via www.pressreader.com.
- Ruddy, John J. (June 29, 2000). "Reinventing New London". Arcadia Publishing – via Google Books.
- "Symbol of pride exits in shame". The Day.
- "Group seeks protection of New London's Columbus statue". The Day.
- "Community Members Petition to Take Down New London's Christopher Columbus Statue; Recently Vandalized With Paint".
- "New London Decides to Ban Columbus Statue From Public Land".
- "New London council votes to permanently remove Christopher Columbus statue". WFSB.
- "New London Mayor Decides to Remove Christopher Columbus Statue; Hopes to Have Public Weigh In".
- "Columbus Statue Removed From Connecticut Park". usnews.com. Retrieved 29 June 2020.
- Murdock, Zach. "New London votes to permanently remove Christopher Columbus statue after young activists speak out". courant.com.
Template:Monuments and memorials removed during the George Floyd protests
This article "Statue of Christopher Columbus (New London, Connecticut)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Statue of Christopher Columbus (New London, Connecticut). Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.