Ted Barr is an Israeli painter and art theorist. He is the founder of the FLY method.
Ted Barr was born In 1957 in Constance on the Black Sea coast of Romania. His family immigrated to Israel when he was 4 years old to the city of Rehovot. Later in his teen years his family moved to Tel Aviv. Barr served in the Artillery Corps in the Israeli army and got to the rank of Major.
For seven years he studied art with the artist Shlomo Zafrir in ancient Jaffa. In 2009, after a few successful exhibitions, he started teaching the FLY method he developed in Guadalajara, Mexico. Since then, he led workshops around the world: San Francisco, Miami, Dallas, San Antonio, Jaipur, Kathmandu, Udaipur, Berlin and many other cities.
Barr is a transformative artist, his fields of research include Symbolism, Ancient Egypt, Numerology, and spiritual rituals of various religions.
This gave rise to the context of Barr's work, "As Above So Below" in which Barr explores deep space, human development, dreams, emotions and their connection.
Barr curated 'The School of Athens' project for Italia Docet Laboratorium at the Venice Art Biennale in October, 2015, and exhibited/curated at Scope Miami Beach during the Art Basel Miami week in December of 2015. Over the past years, Barr has had solo exhibitions at Dacia Gallery in New York City, Alessandro Berni Gallery, in Perugia, Italy he has participated in the Clio Art Show, in New York City and his collaboration with the Label2 Fashion house, emerging from the White premiered at Milan Fashion Week.
In 2009, Barr started delivering workshops in Guadalajara, Mexico, based on FLY painting method he had developed.
FLY is based on 3 elements:
- Flow- all elements are flowing on the canvas, moved by sticks.
- Contradicting Elements– using Tar, Acrylics and Oil colors performs unexpected shapes and forms
- Layers – each layer contains tar, oil and acrylics
FLY stands for Free the Life within You, meaning relinquishing creativity and out of the box thinking. The elements used in the FLY process repel each other, creating patterns on the canvas, which are moved around the canvas in a cyclical process. Every element of the process is symbolic, with layers of paint representing the multiple layers of the human personality and soul, which also enfold multiple layers. Those patterns relate to Ted Barr main painting series:
- Deep Space inspired by the Hubble telescope images
- Human Forming – based on embryos photography
- Cycles of Life – the enigma behind human life
Since 2009, Barr has traveled and taught in America, Europe and Asia, in recent years more participants have attended from the therapeutic and educational worlds. Fly workshops have been delivered in schools in Israel and India.
In the FLY workshops workshops they use colors and canvases in a free style process where the colors are spilled on the canvases, the canvases are tilted and tapped, spatulas and chop sticks are used to move the colors and shape. Many layers, each a mixture of oil colors, acrylic and cold tar mixed with turpentine, lead to unpredictable outcome.
All of Barr's workshops start with meditation, followed by short session of Tai Chi movements. There is a creative session with closed eyes, a session of a collective work in which each participant creates its part on a big canvas, leading to a shared piece of artwork.
- 2018 Udaipur, India, The Royal Palace.
- 2017 Jaipur, India. Teaching the FLY workshop Pearl Academy.
- Dacia gallery New york city. Solo show curator Lee Vasu.
- 2016 Tel Aviv University - exhibit and lecture, Physics Dept.
- Upstream People Gallery - 18th Annual Collage, Digital and Mixed Media Juried Online International Art Exhibition.
- Palm Beach - Art Palm Beach - co-curator of booth with Alessandro Berni.
- 2015 Miami Beach - Scope Miami Beach - International Contemporary Art Show - exhibitor and co-curator with Alessandro Berni.
- Venice - Venice Biennale - Master and Scholar exhibition, Palazzo Barbarigo.
- Perugia - Alessandro Berni Gallery - Curator Alessandro Berni - Solo Show.
- 2014 New York City - Dacia gallery - Curator Lee Vasu - Solo Show.
- Berlin - Autocenter - Curator Carsten Nicolai.
- 2013 Paris - Memoir de l’avenir Gallery.
- Grand Rapids, Michigan - Artprize, DeVos.
- Ramat Gan, Israel - Ramat Gan Museum - Curator Monica Lavee.
- Erfurt, Germany - Bilder Gelerie.
- Kathmandu, Nepal - The Israeli Embassy hoose - Solo.
- 2012 Prague - Vernon Gallery
- Miami - LMNT Gallery - exhibitor and delivered Free the Life Within You workshop.
- 2011 Izmir, Turkey - Izmir Biennale - Curator Seba Urgun
- Nevada - Burning Man Project, documented by
- 2009 Guadalajara, Mexico - Valle Real - Curator Mappy Wereka - Solo Show
- Italy - Cianchiano Museum - exhibit and lecture - Curator Mary Gilardi
- Tel Aviv - Gallery Gebo - Curator Yohanan Herson.
- 2008 Paris - Cargo 21 Gallery - Curator Doron Polak
- Old Jaffa, Israel - Horace Richter Gallery - Curator Reli Vasser
- Montreal - Gora Gallery - Solo
- New York City - Fusionarts Museum.
- 2007 Istanbul - Istanbul Art Fair - Curator Tchera Nyego
This article "Ted Barr" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Ted Barr. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.