Did you know a wiki could be used internally in your company ? For better knowledge management and internal communication. Less email and office files. 30 days free trial. (Ad)
The Complete Steve Canyon
This article may require copy editing for Fix up URL display in refs. (March 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Complete Steve Canyon is a book series by The Library of American Comics, collecting the American comic strip Steve Canyon. A strip created by Milton Caniff which debuted in 1947 and ended in 1988, some months after its creator's death. The comic strip was originally distributed in newspapers by King Features Syndicate.
In 1946 Milton Caniff ended his run of Terry and the Pirates for pursuing a creator-owned title of his own in order to have more creative control over story telling and decisions as well as reaping a larger financial benefit of the work as a comic strip artist and author. Beginning in 1947, Steve Canyon Caniff's new strip debuted just a few weeks after he had finished up on Terry and the Pirates. This new Steve Canyon strip would come to be a running newspaper feature for 41 years, even continuing a while after Caniff's death.
The rights to the Steve Canyon comic strip had been with Checker Book Publishing Group since mid-2000s, and by them reprinted in a softcover all black-and-white edition. When the rights to the strip were about to change in 2011, Caniff's nephew as well as executor Harry Guyton, agreed to let The Library of American Comics get the rights to reprint the Steve Canyon comic strip. In August 2011 it was announced that the series would start to be published in January 2012.The first volume from LoAC was released in January 2012 while at the same time being the 50th title published by The Library of American Comics.
The volumes of this series are hardcover, measure 11.5 inches × 9.25 inches, (292 mm × 235 mm), and includes approximately 340 pages. Each contain two years of the comic strip original run in the newspapers and comes with a dust jacket. The source material for this reprint project was Caniff's own personal set of printer's proofs, which made it possible for LoAC to give the comic strip the best-quality reproduction it ever has received. The daily strips of the title is reproduced in the original black-and-white color scheme, uncropped and in full original size, and the Sunday pages in full color for the first time ever since it originally appeared in newspapers. The series is planned to be comprised of 20 volumes and cover the comic strip's whole run when it is finished.
The story plots are put next to real historical context in the introductions by associate editor Bruce Canwell. Extras such as essays, annoted photographs, sketches and drawings are included in the volumes. The MSRP is set at $49,99 per volume.
|Volume||Release date||Title||Period||Page count||ISBN|
|1||2012-01-31||“Steve Canyon - Vol. 1 - Horizons Unlimited”||1947–1948||336||978-1-61377-125-9 Search this book on .|
|2||2012-08-21||“Steve Canyon - Vol. 2 - Passport to Adventure”||1949–1950||336||978-1-61377-287-4 Search this book on .|
|3||2013-04-23||“Steve Canyon - Vol. 3 - Death by Land and by Sea”||1951–1952||336||978-1-61377-576-9 Search this book on .|
|4||2014-04-01||“Steve Canyon - Vol. 4 - Return to Damma”||1953–1954||336||978-1-61377-855-5 Search this book on .|
|5||2015-01-20||“Steve Canyon - Vol. 5 - Taps for 'Shanty' Town”||1955–1956||336||978-1-63140-178-7 Search this book on .|
|6||2015-12-01||“Steve Canyon - Vol. 6 - Princess in Exile”||1957–1958||336||978-1-63140-469-6 Search this book on .|
|7||2016-12-20||“Steve Canyon - Vol. 7 - School for Spies”||1959–1960||336||978-1-63140-743-7 Search this book on .|
|8||2018-02-13||“Steve Canyon - Vol. 8 - Return of the Crag Hag”||1961–1962||336||978-1-68405-034-5 Search this book on .|
|9||2019-01-29||“Steve Canyon - Vol. 9 - Contraband Cargo”||1963–1964||336||978-1-68405-378-0 Search this book on .|
|10||2020-01-28||“Steve Canyon - Vol. 10 - Herself and a Hook”||1965–1966||336||978-1-68405-589-0 Search this book on .|
- https://project-nerd.com/2015/01/18/complete-steve-canyon-vol-5-comic-review/ Retrieved 2019-05-06
- http://cinemasentries.com/review/book-review-the-complete-steve-canyon-volume-3-1951-1952-by-milton-caniff/ Retrieved 2019-11-01
- http://cinemasentries.com/review/book-review-the-complete-steve-canyon-volume-4-1953-1954-by-milton-caniff/ Retrieved 2019-02-14
- https://theslingsandarrows.com/milton-caniffs-steve-canyon-1947/ Retrieved 2019-02-14
- https://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/08/04/idw-to-publish-milton-caniffs-steve-canyon/ Retrieved 2019-05-12
- https://www.digitalspy.com/comics/a333436/steve-canyon-rights-acquired-by-idw/ Retrieved 2019-02-14
- https://www.cbr.com/chuck-jones-and-the-future-of-the-library-of-american-comics/ Retrieved 2019-02-14
- http://www.comicbookdaily.com/collecting-community/bound-together/review-the-complete-steve-canyon-vol-1-1947-1948/ Retrieved 2019-02-14
- https://westfieldcomics.com/blog/interviews-and-columns/interview-bruce-canwell-on-idws-steve-canyon-vol-1/ Retrieved 2019-02-14
- http://bdzoom.com/135934/actualites/%C2%AB-steve-canyon-%C2%BB-un-classique-inusable-de-la-bande-dessinee-americaine-a-nouveau-disponible/ Retrieved 2019-05-12
- http://cinemasentries.com/review/book-review-the-complete-steve-canyon-volume-9-1963-1964-by-milton-caniff/ Retrieved 2019-05-28
- http://fanboyfactor.com/2018/01/comic-review-steve-canyon-hc-vol-08-1961-1962-idw/ Retrieved 2019-02-14
- Publisher website - IDW Publishing - The Library of American Comics - The Complete Steve Canyon
- Preview - Steve Canyon - Vol. 7
Others articles of the Topic Comics : List of furry comics, Rip Kirby: The Complete Comic Strips, Erma (webcomic), For Better or For Worse: The Complete Library, Pride High, Judith Grimes, Undertaker (comics)
This article "The Complete Steve Canyon" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:The Complete Steve Canyon. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.