|Launched||1 March 2009|
Thetextpage is an advertising website set up by Spyros Pyrgiotis. It claims to be the only website consisting of 100% text and established Pay Per Character Advertising by selling characters at $2 each, which provide a direct link to the advertiser's website. Set up in March 2009, the website was created to pay for Pyrgiotis' university fees of £17,000. The site no longer appears to be active.
The pay-per-character advertising site, Thetextpage, was conceived by Pyrgiotis in order to raise £17,000 in course fees within six months. The money was needed after a 2009 offer to attend Kingston University's MBA program made him "one of the youngest people ever to be offered a place on an MBA course in Britain" at age 23.
The first media mention came a day before the website was launched, when the BBC reported his story of being one of the youngest accepted on Kingston's MBA course. This helped the site gain over 20,000 hits in the first month. The Independent, followed by other media and Internet bloggers, also reported on the site and the story went international when Greek media, with news coverage on Alpha TV, Skai TV, and newspapers such as Eleftherotypia.
A TV production company has been following Pyrgiotis since the launch of the website and is expected to complete a documentary about his experiences winter 2009. A teaser of the documentary was released on YouTube in June 2009.
- Crowd funding
- Place (Reddit)
- The Million Dollar Homepage
- "MBA student makes 'Text' into cash | Younilife - The Student Website". Younilife. Retrieved 2010-05-13.
- Lightfoot, Liz (2009-06-04). "'I spotted a gap in advertising': How one student hatched a quirky internet venture to pay his fees - MBAs Guide, Postgraduate". London: The Independent. Retrieved 2010-05-13.
- Adenekan, Shola (2009-04-03). "UK | Education | Ethics arrive in business schools". BBC News. Retrieved 2010-05-13.
- "Online scrabble for the last word - graduate jobs UK and graduate recruitment". Graduate-jobs.com. Retrieved 2010-05-13.
- "Would-be student raises £13,500 to attend Kingston University (From Surrey Comet)". Surreycomet.co.uk. 2009-09-15. Retrieved 2010-05-13.
- "Alpha Tv". Alphatv.gr. 2009-08-30. Archived from the original on September 3, 2009. Retrieved 2010-05-13.
- "Ευρηματικός Έλληνας φοιτητής στην Αγγλία (video) - ALPHA,ΣΚΑΪ | Άρθρα | NewsTime". Newstime.gr. Retrieved 2010-05-13.
- "Ο πολυμήχανος Σπύρος του Διαδικτύου | Eλλάδα | Ελευθεροτυπία". Enet.gr. Retrieved 2010-05-13.
- "Dig News » Who Needs To Advertise on the moon when You can do this From Earth » Free Legal Music Downloads or Streams - Register Free at Kerchoonz". Kerchoonz.com. 2009-07-25. Retrieved 2010-05-13.
This article "Thetextpage" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Thetextpage. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.