|Joint Secretary, All India Kisan Sabha|
|Central Committee Member, Communist Party of India (Marxist)|
|Born||1974 (age 45–46)|
Karivellur, Kannur, Kerala
|Political party||Communist Party of India (Marxist)|
|Alma mater||Jawaharlal Nehru University|
Vijoo Krishnan is an Indian politician and a leader of the Communist Party of India (Marxist) and the All India Kisan Sabha. He is a member of the Central Committee of the CPI(M). He is also the national joint secretary of the All India Kisan Sabha, the largest farmers' organisation in India. He was one of the front leaders of the historic Kisan Long March, Maharashtra held on March 12, 2018.
Early life[edit | edit source]
Vijoo Krishnan was born in 1974 in a rural village called Karivellur in Kannur district of Kerala. He grew up in Bangalore and studied at St. Joseph's Indian High School (Bangalore) and St Joseph's College, Bangalore. Later he went to Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) for higher studies. He completed his doctoral programme on the "changing Indian agrarian economy (condition of peasantry under neoliberal policies)" at JNU
Political activism[edit | edit source]
Vijoo Krishnan started his political career with The JNU Students' Union where he held the office of president in 1998-99. He later joined the Students' Federation of India. After completing his PhD, he joined St Joseph's College, Bangalore as the Head of the Post Graduate Department of Political Science. He left St Joseph's College after three years to become a full-time political activist. He was elected as the national joint secretary of the All India Kisan Sabha and, at the age of 44, was the youngest person to have been elected to the central committee member of CPI(M).
Krishnan is an advocate for the rights of farmers in India. He is of the opinion farmers' livelihoods are not being developed or improved under the policies of successive governments since 1992. Substantial reduction of subsidies in the agricultural sector had led to a "sharpening of peasant class differentiation."
Starting with Congress in 1991, the neo-liberal economic policies were implemented and in 1992 the Congress came with the new agriculture policy. Almost immediately, we pointed out that it will lead to the peril of the farmers in our country. But these governments have been following, whether it is the BJP or the Congress, the same policies.
In 2016 Krishnan was part of the organising committee for a three day Kisan Swaraj Sammelan (loosely translates to a farmer's convention). The declaration at the conclusion of the conference was to call for the enactment of a Farmers’ Income Guarantee Act that ensures dignified life to farmers and their kin
Krishnan played a key role on conducting Kisan Long March, Maharashtra which held on March 12, 2018. He plans to follow up the long march by organising nationwide protests on June 6th, 2018, the first anniversary of the Mandsaur Farmers' Unrest. Krishnan, via the All India Kisan Sabha, plans to gain one million signatures on a petition and rally in Delhi on September 5th, 2018 to put pressure on the government to provide relief for farmers.
References[edit | edit source]
- Kumarl, Chethan (14 March 2018). "Unfortunate that farmers need to get on to streets: Vijoo Krishnan". The Times of India. Retrieved 17 May 2018.
- "New Central Committee Elected at the 22nd Congress". Communist Party of India (Marxist). 22 April 2018. Retrieved 27 May 2018.
- "Red Ants in a Line". Outlook Magazine. 26 March 2018. Retrieved 27 May 2018.
- Vishwanath, Chandrakanth (18 March 2018). "Meet JNU Alumnus Vijoo Krishnan, Man Who Inspired 50,000 Farmers to March 180-km". news18.com. Retrieved 27 May 2018.
- >Sarkar, Sonia (25 March 2018). "Ideologies against the BJP should unify as an anti-communal force". The Telegraph India. Retrieved 27 May 2018.
- Henry, Nikhila (26 March 2018). "BLF to challenge TRS, BJP's neo-liberal agenda". The Hindu Times. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
- "Govt Can't Betray Us: Man Behind the 35,000 Marching Farmers". The Quint. 19 March 2018. Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- "Farmers not looking to Central Government for relief". The Hindu. 13 June 2014. Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- Kurmanath, KV (4 April 2018). "Farmers' meet demands law to guarantee income". The Hindu. Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- Dabas, Maninda (14 March 2018). "Meet Vijoo Krishnan- The Man Who Inspired 55,000 Maharashtra Farmers To March 180Km For Their Rights". indiatimes.com. Retrieved 27 May 2018.
- Archis, Mohan; Mukherjee, Sanjeeb (21 May 2018). "Mandsaur anniversary: First test of Rahul Gandhi's opposition unity effort". the Business Standard. Retrieved 30 May 2018.
This article "Vijoo Krishnan" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical and/or the page Edithistory:Vijoo Krishnan. Articles copied from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be seen on the Draft Namespace of Wikipedia and not main one.